Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Should I do reviews of the Doctor Who Big Finish audio plays?
No 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Yes, in the same thread as the TV stories 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Yes, in their own separate thread 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
I dunno why I'm voting in this thread anyway... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:31 am

Now, a few of you may be aware that I do a watch and review blog of Doctor Who. To date, I have watched and reviewed the entire series transmitted so far, save for a few stories not yet released on DVD, and, obviously, the missing episodes. My efforts are detailed in this thread here.

But because, until the DVD releases catch up a little and a new series comes along, there won't be any new Doctor Who in any great number for a while, I thought I'd do similar reviews of the Big Finish audio plays.

For Whovians unfamiliar with the Big Finish audios, they are stories with classic series Doctors (and sometimes spinoffs involving other characters from the series, including various companions, UNIT, the Intrusion Countermeasures Group from Remembrance of the Daleks, and Jago and Litefoot from The Talons of Weng-Chiang) produced as full-on audio dramas, with some done like a dramatic reading of an audiobook (like The Companion Chronicles).

Now, to be honest, I don't have that many Big Finish audios. To date, I have five mainstream titles (The Nightmare Fair, Davros, The Juggernauts, Zagreus and Terror Firma), one special one-off story (The Davros Mission), and a miniseries (the four-part I, Davros). Most of these are on a DVD that came free with the Davros DVD boxset.

I am also anticipating another Big Finish set to come before long, with the first few adventures of Paul McGann's portrayal as the Eighth Doctor, including his first adventure, Storm Warning, and others like The Sword of Orion and, apparently, Invaders from Mars. I also intend to start ordering these audios on a regular basis in the near future.

So, the crux of this thread, and the accompanying poll, is should I do a review thread for them, and if so, should I keep it to the Doctor Who review thread already in existence? Or should I start a new thread entirely?

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:23 am

Gah, maybe I shouldn't have put an option for within the thread or within a new thread. I mean, if I do review Big Finish audios in the main thread, then that means I should listen to and review the missing stories, including those that are only available as audio. :?

On sabbatical...