An NT friend of mine wrote an amazing blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 8:47 am

In which he stated that Autism shouldn't be considered a mental illness or form of retardation, but rather a different evolutionary path and a condition that makes people see the world in a different (but often beneficial) way.
Biggest surprise? He got several comments in agreement from a number of other people (all of whom I know as they live in the same town as me).
Hopefully this is a sign that the average population will develop a more progressive attitude towards Autism and Autistic people in the future.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

25 Dec 2006, 8:53 am

I've got many friends that would say exactly the same thing. The crap thing is that we tend to notice the ones who dislike us (and more often don't like us or hate us) because the way we act draws them out. However, it is good that we have allies along with ourselves (technically we always have, just not that many of them at first).

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 9:02 am

That's wonderful! There should be more people like your friend, in this world.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

25 Dec 2006, 9:09 am

Have you got a link? Screenshot, maybe?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 9:28 am

KBABZ wrote:

Yeah, i'd like to read it too...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 9:44 am

DrowningMedusa wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Yeah, i'd like to read it too...

SAME HERE! Heck, I even compared autism to Intels attempts to build a faster computer. There ARE some good parallels, and intel tried the simplest way and FAILED! Maybe WE are some of the rejects! I mean when Intel failed, they didn't fail completely.

They disabled parts, and slowed things down, and STILL ended up with something better! Sometimes, I feel like one of their first attempts at a 486DX! Some didn't work right, so they cut out the FPU(slowing down math), and reduced the speed. It wasn't as good as the 486DX they planned, but it WAS better than the 386DX! If they didn't dial those 486DXs back, and disable the FPU, they would have been SCRAP.

Of course, intel DID change a lot of things, and eventually DID get the pentiums to work at a higher speed. STILL not perfect, and a lot of things changed, but they even blow the 486DXs away. It will be interesting to see what happens. If autism DOES have a major genetic component, even one viable offspring may start humanity down a new path.

One more thing. The 386, 486, and pentium are ALL incompatible with one anothers hardware! They need different motherboards, sockets, etc... Even the memory may have to be different. HECK, the pentiums aren't even compatible with other pentiums. So why should NTs and ASs understand one another so well.

Steve

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

krist
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2006, 1:24 pm

a guy that lives a few houses down from me is autistic. i talked to him and his mum. she was shocked to find out i had aspies he was no, he said to me you know me a little. i said yes i guess.

he is in his 20's and goes to the local high school, his mum said because she does not want him in the house all day and to have friends. she said he never has school problems and all the NT kids are good to him.

in wisconsin they typically do not hid their children if they handicapped. in florida you will never see some one handicapped. they all live in groups homes as a rule. home schoooling is typical for children that are more fuctional so against you will not see them eather.

i wonder if it is because the state is not as well off as florida. i do not know ...
i wonder if people are more religious that there are more downs children and other handicaps and they do not ship them off or abort them or what ever goes on..

i do not know..

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 4:11 pm

Religious people will generally home-school handicapped children. There are also religious group homes and institutions; but generally they will try home-schooling first, because religion for the most part is big on family. Such families are often isolated, however, because a more negative aspect of religion is that it often encourages people to care about how they appear to others, despite how many times the actual scriptures say that this is not important; and a handicapped family member can be embarassing. There are exceptions; some families and some churches willingly include their handicapped members in their activities; but as is true anywhere else, such acceptance is a slow process.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 7:12 pm

Nicely written, terrifically awful colors.