Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

From the Chicago Tribune

"Another law enforcement official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lanza had been diagnosed with Asperger's, a mild form of autism often characterized by social awkwardness. People with the disorder are often highly intelligent. While they can become frustrated more easily, there is no evidence of a link between Asperger's and violent behavior, experts say."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-c ... 2017.story

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 12:05 am

Yep, this report has definitely summed up everything that the news reporters have been trying to say the whole day about the psychological profile of the gunman. But the fact that the rest couldn't explain it in this manner is just disturbing. :/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 2:55 am

I disagree that people with AS can become frustrated more easily than people without AS...in general.

The frustration of people with AS often stems from being misunderstood and a lack of empathy and consideration for their difficulties from people without AS, which is most of the population. If someone without AS were in a similar situation I think they would become frustrated, and further more, I think they would be far more likely to express their frustration in inappropriate ways, as they are not accustom to being in situations that are frustrating and they are not nearly as respectful of rules as people with AS tend to be.

And while we are on the subject, do I find it frustrating that as a person with AS people make completely invalid assumptions about me based on their limited knowledge of AS and of me as an individual? Yes, I do.

That does not mean I am going to go on a shooting rampage though.

Aspie516
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2012, 3:10 am

Chronos, thank you. I am perpetually frustrated by NTs who think they can say what I am thinking or what is motivating me based on their limited knowledge of what they deem to be autism traits. I'm not planning on shooting those ppl tho, except maybe some dirty looks.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

CftxP wrote:
Yep, this report has definitely summed up everything that the news reporters have been trying to say the whole day about the psychological profile of the gunman. But the fact that the rest couldn't explain it in this manner is just disturbing. :/

Our news media are run by ill educated buffoons and ignoramuses.

The reporters come from the bottom 10 percent of the college population. Basically C - to D + types.

ruveyn

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 5:43 pm

all the B- to A+ students once debated string theory... or
keynes and hayak, or globalwarming/climate change?

as a five year old i wanted to be a lady reporter like
lois lane rather than a girl detective like nancy drew.

as a middle aged member of the baby boom my bright
idea was to say that isaac newton invented the groundrules

for a lively discussion on intelligent design, and he would not
have agreed with either clarence darrow or william jennings bryan!

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Chronos wrote:
I disagree that people with AS can become frustrated more easily than people without AS...in general.

And while we are on the subject, do I find it frustrating that as a person with AS people make completely invalid assumptions about me based on their limited knowledge of AS and of me as an individual? Yes, I do.

That does not mean I am going to go on a shooting rampage though.

I totally agree with your first point. It might be more accurate to say that people on the spectrum are frustrated more often, but that's only because they have to put up with more crap more often than people without AS.

Regarding the second part, I hear you.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm

Even that description I'm not happy with. I have geological patience with the people around me. I get more frustrated with myself than others and I don't think I take that out on them. From NT to severely autistic there is a continuous blend so it's probably impossible to speak accurately in generalisations about ASDs. We just have to put up with these dumb caricatures.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

This thread explains in a nutshell what I've known about reporters all along.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E3Yf7A3MIk[/youtube]

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:53 am

We have more reason to be frustrated than NTs do. If their lives resembled ours, they would be frustrated too.