autism treatment DISASTERS children in France

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

mimi834
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2012, 8:43 am

Hello,

I'am a French and i Have 2 Autiste Twins.

I want to explain the treatment to parents of autistic children and the discrimination we are subjected.

here, you removed your rights to unemployment insurance on the grounds that you have different children. you can not work because French schools do not want your children and when you have two then ......

But my children are not violent, they adapt easily to life in a group.

You can see in this funny video :

type Yanis and samy on ggogle to find it

on m'a parlé des usa comme une alternative car je veux un avenir pour mes enfants, chose que je ne pourrais obtenir ici

pouvez vous me dire comment cela se passe chez vous ?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:52 am

mimi834 wrote:
on m'a parlé des usa comme une alternative car je veux un avenir pour mes enfants, chose que je ne pourrais obtenir ici

pouvez vous me dire comment cela se passe chez vous ?

Trying to help; so here is my translation of your final paragraph to English:

They have spoken to me about the USA as an alternative because I want a future for my children, something that I cannot obtain here. Can you tell me how things are for you (in the USA).

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:05 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I hope you stay, I think you will get a lot of support here.Your sons are beautiful. The founder of this forum has made a film about autism treatment in France. I haven't seen it yet but I've read a bit about the situation. Perhaps together you can help change things. Your sons deserve every chance in life. I'm going to repost the Youtube video of your little ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nrmdnNXT0s

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

Welcome here.

I am sorry you have experienced such issues. I know it can be saddening to have children with handicaps, then to be blamed for it, is unacceptable.

I am post 40 now, but as I recall my mother tell, yes she too had to fight for my education.

To this day, in the US, parents frequently still need to fight to educate their children within a manner to have their children's needs met. For handicapped children these needs can be unique. Often this is due to school districts not wanting to pay money on special services to be honest.

I would recommend that you still "push" to get the needs of your Children's needs met. Education is a right not a privilege.

I would recommend that you reach out to a support group within your area and seek help from agencies where available.

If needed, I recommend you reach out for legal help. There may be services in this area that are low cost or free.

I would recommend looking in the library for books which also reflect your experience, from other parents. There may additional feedback here based on your region. Also, you should check the blogs in your area.

For the US, to obtain a level of social security (payments) for handicapped children a threshold needs to me met. Therefore, not all handicapped children receive payments because of this severity level. But under our US laws all children have the right to be educated and if these children have special needs, these need to be met up to grade school into college.

Please keep fighting for your needs and theirs. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Very kind regards,

Briarsprout

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 9:43 am

In addition, it is set in law, that all children have the right to be educated. Further, adults with disabilities are not to be discriminated against within employment. If there are special needs that are required ie extra time to take tests, adaptive equipment etc. these needs should be met.

For example, in college I took extended time to take tests and recorded sessions. I had special tutoring in areas I needed help in due to LD/AS. At work, they meet my special needs too ie. bigger monitors for instance ((but I did need to speak out strongly and educate them about my needs too)).

I hope these links get you started in understanding US Law compared to French or European Union Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_ ... ct_of_1990

http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/of ... licy.shtml

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/o ... ition.html

http://www.disabilityrights.org/title.htm

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:46 am

Are there laws in France regarding disability discrimination?

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 9:58 am

I think she is reference this treaty too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention ... sabilities

Though it is based on US Law as a template, the US has refused to sign it. This treaty did not pass the House of Representatives.

So by sighing the treaty, it is giving others rights across the world and not hindering our laws as the US is the template for this treaty - yet we refused to sign it ironically.

Has France signed the treaty yet?

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

Briarsprout wrote:
I think she is reference this treaty too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention ... sabilities

Though it is based on US Law as a template, the US has refused to sign it. This treaty did not pass the House of Representatives.

So by sighing the treaty, it is giving others rights across the world and not hindering our laws as the US is the template for this treaty - yet we refused to sign it ironically.

Has France signed the treaty yet?

France has been sued by parents and the european community for their treatment of autistic children and their parents as well as all of the adults still living in psychiatric hospitals (and undiagnosed or misdiagnosed as psychotic)

helles
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

It is probably easier for you to go to another European country! It is possible to move among EU countries (for EU citizens).
I do not think eastern Europe is very good, Sweden is better than Denmark. It all depends on your ability to get a job there.

I have identical twins myself. They are 2½ years old. I do not know if they are on the spectrum (Asperger). One of them shows signs of meltdowns, but it can be difficult to say in such an early age.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2012, 12:24 pm

I live in France too, and the situation seems extremely patchy. In terms of European countries, I understand that the situation is better in Belgium, and that some French families have moved there to receive better care while still in their own language.

It is really important that you join with others to campaign for better treatment of autism in France: there are various associations that are involved. Find other parents who are prepared to challenge the system - it is extremely difficult to do this on one's own, especially if you have limited funds. Yes, you will have to fight prejudice and apathy to get your family the help you need and deserve!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

From what I've heard, it seems the country with the best attitude towards autism would be England. I really like the NAS approach to autism awareness - instead of trying to scare everyone so they can extort money from them, they try to actually improve the public's attitudes towards autism. Plus they recognize that since autism is a lifelong condition, adults need support too, and they've been raising awareness of autistic adults' needs.