Have you ever met anyone who claimed to be recovered

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 2:25 pm

Have you ever met anyone on the spectrum who claimed they were not autistic anymore and they have recovered but it was obvious they still had it?

I am always skeptical when parents say their kids are cured or recovered from autism or when people on it themselves say they don't have it anymore. I knew at least one person online who said he recovered from it but yet he is still having problems. He still took things literal, he managed to try and use his diagnoses as an excuse when he got fired for telling a inappropriate joke and he knew it was inappropriate before he even told it, he is depressed and hates his social life. He seems to have a hard time keeping a job and getting along with people so how could he say he is even recovered? Denial I would say. He got mad at me when I pointed it out to him he still has it because he took what I said literal and he started cursing at me and this was back in 2008. Maybe I hurt his pride so that was why he probably got mad. Back then I always called things out and said things the way they are and now I prefer to keep silent or else it may lead to conflicts. But that doesn't mean I don't get the urges to still say them so I type them out on word pad instead to let it out and I always feel chicken for not saying it on the forum. Then I feel mad at myself for it and weak.

I am guilty of thinking I have grown out of it and then to realize I still had it. Sure you get better but you will always have it and still have your moments and have some deficits.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 2:55 pm

Yes.
They said they didn't have it....
While they talked in a monotone voice and made unmodulated eye contact.

And didn't modulate the conversation, but monologued.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 2:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Have you ever met anyone on the spectrum who claimed they were not autistic anymore and they have recovered but it was obvious they still had it?

I am always skeptical when parents say their kids are cured or recovered from autism or when people on it themselves say they don't have it anymore. I knew at least one person online who said he recovered from it but yet he is still having problems. He still took things literal, he managed to try and use his diagnoses as an excuse when he got fired for telling a inappropriate joke and he knew it was inappropriate before he even told it, he is depressed and hates his social life. He seems to have a hard time keeping a job and getting along with people so how could he say he is even recovered? Denial I would say. He got mad at me when I pointed it out to him he still has it because he took what I said literal and he started cursing at me and this was back in 2008. Maybe I hurt his pride so that was why he probably got mad. Back then I always called things out and said things the way they are and now I prefer to keep silent or else it may lead to conflicts. But that doesn't mean I don't get the urges to still say them so I type them out on word pad instead to let it out and I always feel chicken for not saying it on the forum. Then I feel mad at myself for it and weak.

I am guilty of thinking I have grown out of it and then to realize I still had it. Sure you get better but you will always have it and still have your moments and have some deficits.

This may be able to explain some things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Try to apply this when dealing with aspergers and autism. I don't think you outgrow it or get better per se. I think what it is is that as one ages more than likely he or she is learning more about the world around him or her. The thing I'm starting to accept is that in the end one does not have control over others and what they do and their behaviors. The only person you have control over is yourself.

I have control over these following things:

how I dress
my surroundings and how clean they are
my behavior
what I choose to read
What I choose to eat
what jobs I choose to apply for
etc

Things in which I have no control:

world and national politics
other people's behaviors
people's choices
whether an employer will hire me or not
etc.

This being said, you can't control what he says, believes or does but you can control your own actions. With you telling it how it is the thing is a lot of people do not want to hear the truth including some aspies. I have been like that at times. Sometimes, the truth can be very painful to some people. I look at it like this. I would rather hear a painful truth now then hear a sweet lie and then have triple the butt hurt later. I believe this is what he will have to learn and conclude. I see the painful truth as one of the lesser evils. I see good and evil on a sliding scale and not black and white.

My wife will tell you the truth and give you her honest opinon. This is one of her best qualities that I love about her. I may become upset at first but I wouldn't have it any other way. In the end, sometimes her logic actually is sound and she is correct when one puts aside the emotions and looks at it from a purely logical point of view. This takes putting aside one's ego and humbling oneself. I believe humility is one of the keys to living our lives.

IMHO, this is a good quality you have as well. I think about it like this. Barack Obama has a team of advisors. He consults them sometimes to help him make his decisions to affect the state of our nation. If you were him, wouldn't you want a team of advisors who will tell you the painful truth rather than a sweet lie so you could make decisions for the nation as a whole in an effective manner? I see it this way.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

Functioning can always be greatly improved, sometimes to a point where someone may think - cure

Imagine little Jimmy eating processed foods, inside all day around electronics, carpet glues, caffeinated drinks, fat and fabby, backing on to a main road with fumes, town water with chlorine and fluoride plus other nasties, liver damaging meds, nasty neighbours, ignorant parents, doctors, teachers and social exclusion to top in all off..... et al

Now
take little Jimmy and put him on a farm. Fresh whole foods, clean air, clean water, a personal mentor of infinite patience and compassion, exercise, social inclusion from a kibbutz style environment.....

Little Jimmy would most probably feel like a whole new man
We are doing it all wrong

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:18 pm

IMHO, if you don't have it, you never did.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

Anyone who used the word "cure" for themselves or their child, with regards to autism, doesn't understand autism, I would say.

Recovered or "not autistic anymore" I can understand using, but I think those wordings are too black and white, too much sound like a claim of being cured. Improved or no longer diagnosable (no longer meet the diagnostic criteria) are more appropriate, in my opinion.

Last edited by Mysty on 17 Dec 2012, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 7:41 pm

It'seems to be quite common for people to get to a point where they will no longer meet criteria for a diagnosis but the idea that someone would lose a 'trace elements' completely, I think is highly unlikely.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:04 am

I think there's a few who spontaneously recover, just like there are some who regress. But I think most cases of so called 'recovery' are just someone who thinks all autism is low functioning.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

Surfman wrote:
Functioning can always be greatly improved, sometimes to a point where someone may think - cure

Imagine little Jimmy eating processed foods, inside all day around electronics, carpet glues, caffeinated drinks, fat and fabby, backing on to a main road with fumes, town water with chlorine and fluoride plus other nasties, liver damaging meds, nasty neighbours, ignorant parents, doctors, teachers and social exclusion to top in all off..... et al

Now
take little Jimmy and put him on a farm. Fresh whole foods, clean air, clean water, a personal mentor of infinite patience and compassion, exercise, social inclusion from a kibbutz style environment.....

Little Jimmy would most probably feel like a whole new man
We are doing it all wrong

Yep, we need compassion more than abundance.

I am a firm believer that processed foods are causing the spike in autism births...it alters the brain. Source: http://www.iatp.org/documents/study-lin ... nvironment

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Dec 2012, 9:36 am

I'm recoverd. I definetly dont have aspergers anymore, *you know its true* -Dimebag

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 2:26 pm

Mysty wrote:
Anyone who used the word "cure" for themselves or their child, with regards to autism, doesn't understand autism, I would say.

Recovered or "not autistic anymore" I can understand using, but I think those wordings are too black and white, too much sound like a claim of being cured. Improved or no longer diagnosable (no longer meet the diagnostic criteria) are more appropriate, in my opinion.

But does even THAT ever happen?
You may become super good at dealing with autism/asd, and able to function in nt soiciety with the ease of an nt, but you dont stop being autistic.

I dont act as aspergian as I did when I was a child, but I was still diagnosed as an aspie a couple years ago.