Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 5:31 pm

Who is getting Chinese take-out today because it is the only thing open?

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 5:35 pm

I love chinese food, but I'm not ordering takeout tonight, alas. I'm tired of cooking...

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2006, 5:38 pm

We did, lol. I didnt eat it as I dont like Chinese food, but my parents did. It really is the only thing open....too bad it smells so bad...lol .

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 5:40 pm

The chinese know how to cook their veggies!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 6:30 pm

I love that idea.

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2006, 6:44 pm

We had 'Iffits': sausage meat spread over the bottom of a pan, then a layer of stuffing, baked, then with a layer of cooked bacon put over that, served with mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables (boiled from frozen - yay for convenience) and gravy. We were going to have fried onions, mushrooms and garlic with it, but my mum accidentally knocked the frying pan, causing that part to fall to the floor. Still, it wasn't too bad overall. :)

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 7:06 pm

Hey don't knock the Chinese food. That's what Jewish people do on Christmas is go out for Chinese. Not sure why; its just an American Jewish tradition. My friend called and dragged me out to a fancy hotel to eat at the cafe there. I had a turkey dinner with veggies and pumpkin pie. The place is so packed the had ushers in the parking lot to direct you to any available parking. I had to walk a 1/2 mile from the parking space I got. I thought I was going to go neurotic surrounded by so many people.

I guess it depends where you live as to what is open. Several family restaurants are open here in town, along with several Chinese places and Carls Jr. There was like 100 Mexicans hanging out in front of Carls Jr eating hamburgers they were so packed people were eating outside as I drove by.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 11:25 pm

We went to the Chinese buffet the past two nights....and yes,my boyfriend is jewish and we went with his best friend who is Jewish and there was a family of jewish people at the table next to us......But,about 98% of the other people there were about every "nationality" in US.I live in a very culturaly diverse neighborhood.The food was good as usual and I ate to much as usual...got to get the Buffet "all you can eat" experience.To bad they dont make barfateriums any more....oh,yeah,they call those bathrooms now.(Yuck).

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 11:58 pm

All this talk of Chinese food made me go out in the crowds yet again and had some cashew chicken tonight. I wasn't implying that everyone that went out for Chinese pn X-mas was Jewish. Actually most of the people I saw tonight were starving travelers. It just so happens about the only thing open on X-mas is Chinese restaurants. I think the tradition with Jews happens because in America we are usually forced to take X-mas off whether we are Christian or not. But like anyone else days off work are rare so what better thing to do than take the family out to eat Chinese because its the only place open. Course if the hillbilly neighbor's hound dog steals your turkey then you have to go out for Peking duck. (a reference to the movie...The Christmas Story)

On a side note I just found this funny... I went out to the cafe for lunch with my neighbor who I just found out is half Jew and she just found out I am half Jew also. And who sat at the table next to us? Three older Jewish couples. We found this out because the waitress wished them a Merry Christmas when they sat down and the old man growled to her "We're Jewish!! !". So as they were getting up to leave what did the waitress say? "Merry Christmas" again. LOL I guess she just didn't get it. :lol: Well I thought it was funny and so did my neighbor friend with me.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 9:58 am

We have done Chinese food in the past before my son was old enough to complain. Where we were in Indiana shut down at 8pm Christmas Eve. Nothing was open except for Chinese food. And of course it's packed.
Now that my son has something to say about it, we do steak at home.