What do you dream about... do you dream?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2012, 4:53 am

Most of the time I don't dream anything when I sleep... but sometimes I do. And the dreams are always very strange and dramatic, sometimes even frightening.

There is an interesting pattern: my dreams always take place in familiar locations that appear changed in some way (kind of like an alternative reality version of the place). There is always a considerable presence of metal - e.g. in one dream I was in small yard surrounded by buildings, and their walls were metallic, covered with rust at some spots. Once I saw my school in a dream, and there were numerous pipes, cables and strange machinery in it. And some of the walls were metallic.

One of my earliest memories of dreams is about me being trapped in my kindergarten, while some strange people were trying to cut through the roof and catch me. It was scary.

Once, a snake bit me on the neck in my dream. And when I woke up, I did feel a slight pain in that exact spot :?

I've also dreamed of finding some eerie ancient ruins in a secluded area of a park.

Anyway, do you guys dream often? At all? Any interesting (or scary) stories to share?

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 4:59 am

Sometimes, particularly when I take a multivitamin on an empty stomach before bed, or during stressful times in life.

I'm a big believer that some dreams are our mind's way of communicating with us. Not the "doodle" dreams that you forget after a few minutes, but the ones that stick with you and you think about them for days and weeks.

When I have one like that, and I can't figure out what it's trying to say, I go to this site and look up the parts I remember:

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/a.htm

I believe our subconscious mind doesn't think in language; it thinks in imagery and relationships. So if we dream about ice, it might actually be monkey-thought for getting stuck in life, or doing risky things.

Your dreams about metal, pipes cables, walls, and rust, look up each of those words in the dream dictionary. See if there's a pattern connecting them.

Maybe it's BS, or maybe you'll see some relationships to your waking life.

I'm curious what you find.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

Thanks for the link - it's an interesting site.

Some of the things ring true - e.g. the snake could be a symbol of hidden fears and worries that I do not fully realize. The machinery could reflect my somewhat mechanical nature (repetitive behaviours).

The metal could signify strength and solidity, but also society. Seeing it so often in dreams, especially being surrounded by it, could mean that I subconsciously feel oppressed by society - this sounds realistic because I often worry about people finding out about my condition and their reaction towards it...

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 5:35 am

Could very well be. And those "definitions" are really just general suggestions. It's entirely possible that your mind has its own views on the subjects. You just have to look at the monkey-thought and try to translate it, hehe.

When I've done that, and thought "OH! I get it now!" about a dream, I've found myself no longer having it, or no longer feeling bad when I do. And it's occasionally helped me gain confidence in a course of action, or resolve to admit that I was on the wrong path and make some changes.

That monkey can't talk for crap, but that doesn't mean he's stupid.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:48 am

I don't dream, or don't remember my dreams unless I am on certain medications. The last one I remember was a bit odd - I was in the offices at work, wearing a party dress and I had a little mouse in a cage. I was feeding it and talking to it, but I knew I couldn't keep it at work so I took it and was walking around (in my home town, which isn't where I work or live now) trying to find a place to release it that it would like, but I woke up before I had the chance to let it go. I have no idea what that was about! I can go or years without having a dream that I remember.

featherbrained
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

i dream very, very intensely, every single night. it's almost like another life. i hate it.
i have dreams involving people and places and there is always a linear plot. i am always doing something or going to multiple places. i have had some disturbing dreams. if i am touched in a dream, i feel it. sometimes the people i dream of are people i've never met before. i have had premonitions in dreams.
i hear music in them too and i wake up with songs stuck in my head.
the content of my dreams varies wildly but lately i've been dreaming about being back in school a lot.

if you ask me, dreams hold all aspects of time, the past, present and future. and i think that when we die we dream.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 2:19 pm

Check out the dream dictionary entry for "mouse", SS. It talks about insecurity, fear, lack of assertiveness, etc.

That you're caring for the mouse suggests that you secretly nurture those traits, which of course is kind of in line with your being here.

That you know you can't keep it at work suggests that you know you need to be more assertive at work, but aren't comfortable doing so.

And maybe you aren't sure where to go outside of work to explore, nurture, or get support for your insecurity.

Or maybe that's all BS and you'd simply seen an actual mouse that day or something.

(Look up "trap" and "office", too)

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

shortly after my parents died [10 years apart of old age] I met them both in 2 different dreams
both occasions were one time only events,
I never met them again in dreams
and both occurred a few months after they passed

1. my dad was not allowed enter a large skyscraper that went all the way to the sky, he was in a queue outside...... with a bunch of other disgruntled, embarrassed and sheepish men

2.my Mom was on a train watching me from a distance and was laughing at me.... I was drunk and dancing with a whole lot of drunken men, while we were all laughing at evil others and their ways

pretty powerful stuff, huh

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

JBlitzen wrote:
Check out the dream dictionary entry for "mouse", SS. It talks about insecurity, fear, lack of assertiveness, etc.

That you're caring for the mouse suggests that you secretly nurture those traits, which of course is kind of in line with your being here.

That you know you can't keep it at work suggests that you know you need to be more assertive at work, but aren't comfortable doing so.

And maybe you aren't sure where to go outside of work to explore, nurture, or get support for your insecurity.

Or maybe that's all BS and you'd simply seen an actual mouse that day or something.

(Look up "trap" and "office", too)

That is amazingly accurate, I am very hard to impress with things like this usually (I'm a bitter and cynical person at heart) but I am amazed. That link is fascinating, thank you.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:11 pm

When I was younger I had a whole other world I would dream about often. I was like an outsider looking in, I was present in this world but not of it. The one thing I really remember about this world was at night the moon was a question mark. It was like a reminder that the morrow might not come.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

your a clever guy Blitz, I like your words :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

I dream a lot, and I enjoy dreaming. Often before I go to sleep I think to myself ''oh I wonder what I will dream about tonight?'' Well, usually I dream in the morning, around 5am to whanever I wake up. I never have lucid dreams, I think I've only ever had 1 lucid dream in my life, where I dreamt my mum had shouted at my dad and he got in a temper, and he began lashing out but then suddenly it was like my mind was controlling the way he lashed out, I thought ''nah, let me make him do that again'' so he reversed back to where he was first standing and sort of lashed out in a ''better way'', sort of thing.

But anyway, I usually dream about situations in this little list, but they are always different each time I dream.

missing the bus - like having only 2 minutes to get the bus but getting really distracted or waylaid and then missing the bus.
going out without putting clothes on - like walking out in public then suddenly realising I am only wearing trousers and shoes, nothing on my top half, then panicking
taking my cat somewhere far away then accidently losing her - like walking miles away to the middle of nowhere, carrying my cat, then she suddenly leaps out of my arms and I have to look for her
having to stay somewhere with lots of people I don't know - like on a big cruise ship, having to communicate with all these people and sharing the same room
being confronted or humiliated in public - like bullies from my past suddenly confronting me, or a crowd of teenagers trying to get me and me running away from them and hiding in shops and different places
falling out with friends or having big arguments with my family - like having big bust ups with my friends whom I don't ever argue with in real life, or screaming and yelling angrily at my family whom I would never speak like that to
doing something incredibly awful to somebody then regreting it - like beating up one of my friends or cousins and then feeling terrible
getting into trouble at the job centre for not doing any job searches - like arriving at the job centre only to realise I have not put any job searches down and so having to write it all down within less than a minute
having to go back to High School - yes, I have dreams a lot where I am back at High School and getting really upset because I thought those days were over
people making me sit somewhere under a loud bell that's going to ring loudly any minute - I often have these dreams too, where I am somewhere (usually back at school) where there are bells that are going off at unpredictable times, and I'm getting all anxious about it, but the bells never actually go off
dogs attacking me - like I'm trapped in a small place where I can't get out, and I've got a vicious dog attacking me
Being lifted up in the air and gliding - I love these dreams! I'm attached to a small machine what lifts me up in the air and I glide over everybody and look down, it sometimes feels a bit scary
the world ending - oh yes, I have these dreams a lot, where the world is ending in some sort of way
having my special interests being took away from me - like my favourite bus service being stopped
spiders in my room - I think nearly every night I have very small dreams of spiders being in my room, usually resulting in me waking up thinking there's really one in my room, and I sometimes get up and turn on the light to have a look, only to see that there's no spiders there at all
Snow - like it's suddenly snowing when unexpected, like in the middle of summer or something
Men I fancy (mostly bus-drivers) - I am snogging one of them, or speaking to one I haven't seen in a long while in real life

Last edited by Joe90 on 19 Dec 2012, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:39 pm

I have many dreams about the many issues that I deal with in my day to day life. I also have dreams about my special interests and things that make me happy as well.

Here's a list of things I dream about:

My friends and I running around in the dark.

An elementary school friend of mine dying because she weighs over 300 lbs.

Unexpected Christmas surprises like the dream I posted in the Random Thread.

Crimes in New York.

It's 1964 or 1965 and I'm Mick Avory and I'm on stage with the rest of The Kinks, sitting behind the drums. Even my dreams tell me I'm like Mick.

London with the original Routemasters.

Wrongplanet and the Internet.

That I'm my desired gender and I'm holding my penis in bed with my eyes open.

The Summer of 1984 watching the Olympics and the days after the closing ceremonies. That was the time that my life took an unexpected turn to where I am today.

Christmas through the decades of the 20th Century. Every year and decade in those dreams are different.

I have lots of dreams about snow throughout the year. I've always loved the snow.

I have lots of dreams about my dog, Chico. :O)

Bodily functions. I won't go into the details.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

Surfman wrote:
your a clever guy Blitz, I like your words :)

Thanks, heh.

I looked up some stuff you described in your dreams, but nothing jumped out at me. I suspect you know what yours meant anyway. I'm glad you got to see your parents one last time.

For you others who have posted in this thread and who I haven't responded to, if you want help figuring out a particular dream, just let me know. It's a fun thread to read either way.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

Oh man I'm always having wild and crazy dreams - usually in technicolor.

I once dreamed that aliens were trying to kidnap me but - in order to not be detected - they disguised themselves as penguins. Fortunately, they were not able to get a straight shot off at me with their ray guns because I was wearing a ring made of black hole matter and it was distorting their field of view.

I'm not making this up - I did dream this 8O

My wife now longer allows me to eat chocolate cake before bed, or watch a scary TV show.