Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

How is your sense of humor like?
My sense of humor is considered just like the one of an NT; 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
My sense of humor is considered mostly like the one of an NT; 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
My sense of humor is considered weird, but people realize I have one; 54%  54%  [ 25 ]
My sense of humor is considered weird, and some people even think I don't have one; 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
People think I don't have a sense of humor, at all, but I actually have one; 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't have a sense of humor. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2012, 1:03 pm

I'm curious. I wanted to know what people generally think of the sense of humor of an aspie/autistic. About me, my sense of humor is considered weird from most people, and some people in the past have even thought I didn't have one. I may not laugh for jokes because I don't understand them, or I may not laugh for things that make other people laugh, but I actually have a sense of humor. What about you?

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

I am often the one not laughing at NT jokes - I miss, I take them literally, I just don't think they are funny. But, boy, when I crack my own - I have a good laugh! However, I am often only one laughing. Then there are times people think I am being funny and I am not trying to be. A friend yesterday laughed at an answer I gave someone in a store (actually, answers). She told me to have a great holiday and I said, "Yeah right. Well, that was a nice try." She actually attempted a few times to "be jolly" or whatever - I figured she was a store lady saying the stuff store ladies say this time of year and I just said it like it was. My friend told me I did not need to be so honest - that I could 'lie'. But then she said she thought the lady got a 'kick' out me. OOOkkkkay. Interesting.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Then there are times people think I am being funny and I am not trying to be.

Same for me.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2012, 1:41 pm

Yeah, I mean...a few times that I've seen a movie in the theaters, I'm always starkly aware of how little I feel the urge to laugh when other people laugh. This happened almost nonstop in The Avengers; I didn't find any of the little quips in that movie funny and laughed maybe 5% as often as other theater goers. It felt weird not to share in a feeling and reaction that nearly everyone else did. I honestly think my sense of humor can be quite immature; I still find movies like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and the slapstick in Home Alone, hilarious. I've also almost never had a friend who I thought was 'funny.' Like, the guy in class that everyone looked to for comedic relief; I had a hard time ever laughing at anything they said or did. I'm not sure if it's because I'm overtly cynical and have to be in a very good mood to laugh or just too off the wall to react appropriately.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

My jokes are typically about math, so people who don't know math don't understand them.

elskar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm

This is somewhat interesting to me, as I'm an aspiring stand-up comedian. My favorite comedians include Bill Burr, Mike Birbiglia, Brian Regan, Hannibal Burress, Tom Papa and John Mulaney. My sense of humor has never been considered "weird", as most of the people in my life push me to do comedy more than I push myself. I guess that's one way I'm not "different". I haven't looked much into the relationship between AS and humor.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 2:22 pm

I have an EXTREMELY dry sense of humor.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

I was kind of stuck between the third and fourth one. It usually take awhile for a person to realise I have a sense of humour.

Arduino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

My humour is pretty dry and black. I am happy most of the time and I tell myself jokes. Problem is, my jokes are never funny to NTs and I never, well rarely find an NT joke funny. Canned laughter just shuts me down. I hate stand up comics, but I think Malcolm in The Middle is pretty damn funny, because it is so absurd. Most of my happiness comes from seeing NTs duck and dive with each other as they converse, with all the expected mannerisms and etiquette. Why bother pretending to be nice to someone, when you really do not care? It makes no sense to me.

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 11:22 am

I have a very odd sense of humor. Usually I can tweak it a little, make it normal.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

My sense of humor is hard to understand and sometimes jokes will be hard to figure out if you do not know what I am talkiing about.