A Unix without X (Linux users of course apply as well)

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

A world without X?
Sure, I could use a unix based system with no X 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
Well, I could try it on another TTY, but I need my X 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Take my DE away, and Im lost 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2012, 9:01 pm

I've built a number of Linux From Scratch systems, so naturally I've become pretty good at not needing a graphical UI. I still prefer launching programs through a terminal emulator even in precompiled distributions with a full desktop.

I'm also a die-hard for the vim editor.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 1:41 am

drh1138 wrote:
I've built a number of Linux From Scratch systems, so naturally I've become pretty good at not needing a graphical UI. I still prefer launching programs through a terminal emulator even in precompiled distributions with a full desktop.

Have you ever submitted your own kernel patch? Is it hard to do? I've been wanting to try to download and compile the kernel myself. Thinking of just pulling Linus Torvalds on git, and just compile whatever he has. Then, if I was able to compile it, I could make my own branch and fix one of the todo things. Would be awesome if the kernel contained a bit of my code =D

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 12:55 am

morslilleole wrote:
drh1138 wrote:

Have you ever submitted your own kernel patch? Is it hard to do? I've been wanting to try to download and compile the kernel myself. Thinking of just pulling Linus Torvalds on git, and just compile whatever he has. Then, if I was able to compile it, I could make my own branch and fix one of the todo things. Would be awesome if the kernel contained a bit of my code =D

No, though kernel development is something I'd like to make my way into; submitting a patch is generally easy to do for most any FOSS project that employs some kind of version control.

I'd really like to hack up a kernel of my own; not as a serious project but as a learning exercise. But I need to learn more x86 asm.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 3:17 am

drh1138 wrote:
morslilleole wrote:
drh1138 wrote:

No, though kernel development is something I'd like to make my way into; submitting a patch is generally easy to do for most any FOSS project that employs some kind of version control.

I'd really like to hack up a kernel of my own; not as a serious project but as a learning exercise. But I need to learn more x86 asm.

Yea, I'm thinking about fixing coding issues, just to get started and to get my name out there. Kinda worried about doing programming fixes since it's so hard to test properly.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

I could use a strictly console-based system. Give me nano (text editor), lynx (or elinks or w3m), man pages, other documentation in /usr/share/doc, and something to code, and I could use the console without any need or desire for a graphical interface. I also use Finch, a console-based instant-messaging client with support for Facebook via xmpp, AIM, and many other protocols. GNU Screen is my best friend on the command line. I would probably use the cd, ls, grep, and cat commands for file management, but there is also a neat program called Midnight Commander, which is a two-pane file manager for the command line. I have a totally awesome .bashrc too, with lots of functions and other neat stuff!

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm

Oh, and there is also a console Twitter client on Debian-based systems, called Twidge. And even a console Facebook client called 'fbcmd'. I pretty much live in the Linux shell.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

I use the command line on a regular basis but I find I am generally more productive using a GUI, be it X or Windows. If I wanted to geek out I could get work done using just the command line but I could generally get it done quicker using a GUI. Even my headless network server runs Gnome with a bunch of terminal windows open most of the time.