Drama at sea: dont know who to root for.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

who should one root for?
the pirates 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
North korea 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
other- undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 7:56 pm

When two guys you dont like start to duke it out with each other- who do you root for?

Ships get captured by Somali pirates all of the time.
But just now the Somali pirates just comandeered a frieghter from: North Korea!

So I just dont know which party to root for.

A north korean frieghter hauling 5000 tons of cement arrived in Mogadishu yesterday.
But the Somali importers rejected the delivery because the cement had been ruined en route from water leakage from the sea.

So the koreans pulled out of port, and dumped the unwanted cargo at sea.

But they dumped too close to shore polluting the water and pissing off the Somali government- but it wasnt the real somali governemnt- that they pissed off.
It was the psuedo government of the break away region of Puntland. The Puntlanders seized and impounded the ship and its crew and put them under military guard at a puntland port dock.
But then- the guards turned renegade and seized the ship and took it back out to sea. (with the original crew I believe). Its now headed for parts unknown. The Puntlanders are now mustering a force to get it back.

I had assumed that any ship flying the flag of North Korea would be the property of the communist North Korean state. But one internet source said the ship is actually owned by a private Libyan firm that just flies the North Korean flag as a flag of convenience.

So... renegage puntlander troops have stolen a North Korean ship...siezed by the Somalian governt- but not the real somalian government - but the fake Puntland somali government- a North Korean ship-thats really a Libyan ship.

And its now headed back down the somali coast ( I think its the real-not the fake somalia) presumably to some pirates' lair.

So anyway... so which side should I root for?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 9:35 pm

Wow, thank you for posting this. This made my life moar moar moar eggsiting today.

I really dunno who to root for, but that name of the fake somali govt Puntland, it is appealing to me.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

Hmmm. Interesting...It ticks me off that the fake Koreans dumped their load at sea. So I guess I'm against them because of that. On the other hand it shows some real guts to take s ship back from pirates, so maybe I will root for them after all. No, I think Not. Both of the groups are bad, so I hope the French or Other EU nation's equivalent of the coast guard captures the whole lot of them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 12:08 am

alpineglow wrote:
Hmmm. Interesting...It ticks me off that the fake Koreans dumped their load at sea. So I guess I'm against them because of that. On the other hand it shows some real guts to take s ship back from pirates, so maybe I will root for them after all. No, I think Not. Both of the groups are bad, so I hope the French or Other EU nation's equivalent of the coast guard captures the whole lot of them.

No the koreans did not take the ship back. It was a case of the cops being the theives. The puntland psuedo government troops who were ostensibly guarding the ship as contraband while it was docked decided to desert and steal the booty from their psuesdo government and become pirates. The korean crew are still the helpless pawns held captive on the ship as it sails off to parts unknown (although-who knows- they may rise up against their captors yet).

But who knows- the land of punt government might have been conspiring with pirates all along to make it LOOK like they were victims of piracy by their deserting troops-and maybe the Punt rulers are hoping for a cut of the booty/ransom. Thats my theory.

But yes- dumping the cargo did kinda tip my sympathy toward- well - I always wanted an excuse to root for johnny depp and tyronne power! Avast me hardies!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 21 Dec 2012, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 12:12 am

When in doubt, Punt.