problems with moving through space...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LonelyLoner
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2012, 9:12 pm

or clumsiness! I feel like when I move around my room or anywhere I hit myself on things and I'm always dropping things or hurting myself. I have a hard time moving through space like everything just gets in the way and everything is uncomfortable! I even have a hard time putting a straw into my mouth when im drinking and miss my mouth or stab my gums with the straw! objects just really frustrate me and clothes too. I can't move when I'm wearing pants with a long sleeve or jacket...that's what I don't like about winter:/

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2012, 9:40 pm

LonelyLoner wrote:
or clumsiness! I feel like when I move around my room or anywhere I hit myself on things and I'm always dropping things or hurting myself. I have a hard time moving through space like everything just gets in the way and everything is uncomfortable! I even have a hard time putting a straw into my mouth when im drinking and miss my mouth or stab my gums with the straw! objects just really frustrate me and clothes too. I can't move when I'm wearing pants with a long sleeve or jacket...that's what I don't like about winter:/

have you heard of dyspraxia? 'Dyspraxia is characterised by difficulty in planning smooth, co-ordinated movements. This leads to clumsiness and lack of co-ordination. Often, it can lead to problems with language, perception and thought.' - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dyspraxia-(childhood)/pages/introduction.aspx

LonelyLoner

20 Dec 2012, 10:04 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
LonelyLoner wrote:

have you heard of dyspraxia? 'Dyspraxia is characterised by difficulty in planning smooth, co-ordinated movements. This leads to clumsiness and lack of co-ordination. Often, it can lead to problems with language, perception and thought.' - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dyspraxia-(childhood)/pages/introduction.aspx

There's a word for it??? :O

thanks for telling me^^

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2012, 12:12 am

LonelyLoner wrote:
LonelyLoner wrote:

thanks for telling me^^

Yep, it's commonly comorbid with autism spectrum disorders. That may not be what you have, I don't know, but finding it difficult to drink with a straw and being clumsy sound like dyspraxia. Why can't you move when wearing pants or long sleeves? Is it a sensory issue? The earlier on in life you get it diagnosed, the better. It's usually something you're born with. You could go to your GP and ask to get assessed so you can receive a diagnosis and get more support and understanding.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2012, 4:13 am

I don't have trouble moving, but sometimes I simply lose my balance for no reason.

I am standing still, not doing anything particular and then I almost fall down, as if someone pushed me. Weird :?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 4:22 am

LonelyLoner wrote:

What you describe is proprioception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

It's common to have a problem with this in autism: http://specializedautismservices.com/co ... ive-system

You may also have vestibular problems (balance), again not uncommon in autism.

I have the same things.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

That's me! wow... In fact, I am off work right now with a broken wrist I got from tripping on the stairs at work. Interesting note that may or may not have anything to do with it but multiple doctors say that the tendon reflexes in my extremities are extremely weak. Contrast to what I've heard, I am quite strong, but my job is very physical. So the result is a woman who is strong as most men, but can barely stand on her own two feet...

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

I resent my inability to teleport.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2012, 5:46 pm

Me, too. I am constantly dropping things, falling over things, bumping into things, knocking over things, getting my clothing caught on things, and generally having embarrassingly uncomfortable relationships with any and all physical objects. I also have balance problems and can't do things like climb on chairs and ladders because I overbalance so easily.

I simply can't understand how others seem to navigate their surroundings so effortlessly and avoid things that are in their way without even seeming to look at them - it's as if they have a sixth sense!

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

LonelyLoner wrote:

It's called NLD. Yeah, it sucks worse than Aspergers itself in some ways. You left out handling money. OMG, I have the world's largest change collection due to inability to handle coins when making purchases.

And dyspraxia is commonly a symptom of NLD/NVLD. The two often go together.

LonelyLoner

21 Dec 2012, 6:40 pm

LonelyLoner wrote:
LonelyLoner wrote:

thanks for telling me^^

Yep, it's commonly comorbid with autism spectrum disorders. That may not be what you have, I don't know, but finding it difficult to drink with a straw and being clumsy sound like dyspraxia. Why can't you move when wearing pants or long sleeves? Is it a sensory issue? The earlier on in life you get it diagnosed, the better. It's usually something you're born with. You could go to your GP and ask to get assessed so you can receive a diagnosis and get more support and understanding.

Idk what it is but when I wear long sleeves and pants I feel like I can't move as freely and it just annoys me. But yeah I'm always dropping things, knocking stuff over, scraping the back of my ankles because my other foot goes right into it when I walk....its weird because I have a really hard time writing but I can draw good.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2012, 9:02 pm

I have dyspraxia. It makes it dificult to walk on slopes and stairs. It is also dificult to write. I fall over often. and walk into walls and doors and objects. I can not bounce on a trapaline can not catch a ball. and if I close my eyes I can not tell wher my body is. I have to watch my legs when I walk so I know what they are doing. I can not live somewhere with stairs becuase it is a fall risk. I fall over alot in the shower and I have to sit on the ground to put shoes on. I can not do up shoes or sandles and stand at the same time. knifes and forks take a lot of concentration. it also makes it difiuclt to swalow certain foods like mash patato.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

also does any one here have trouble with holding things in there hands and keeping them there? If I do not keep focused on my hand then it will just drop what I am holding and I will not notice. I will go into a shop with money in my hand and then realise it is not there any more. or a bag if I do not put it on my back or over my sholder. If I hold it in my hand. Then I will forgt to fucus on my hand and just drop it and keep walking. then later I realise it is not there any more. and I have to go and find it. A lot of money and things have been lost that way. I have to never just cary things in my hands. Only just around the house. Or just for a short way.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 9:32 pm

Can poor proprioception expand to objects around you that you are controlling? For example, I can't drive, because I can't tell where the edges of the car are in space and I'm too afraid I'd hit things.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:07 am

I don't have a problem with writing. What I do have a problem with is bumping into the same things over and over despite the fact that I know that they're there and not going anywhere. It's embarrassing sometimes.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Oh proprioception, how you vex me so...