Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:33 pm

I have an idea for an educational woodwind instrument that could be used to prepare kids for high school band better. It would be sort of like a recorder, but would come with different woodwind head joints to fit it: fipple (standard recorder headjoint), lip plate (as on a flute, fife or piccolo), single reed (as in clarinets or saxophones), and double reed (as on an oboe or bassoon). It would be available in wood and plastic. Does anyone else think this would be a fun idea?

Trombonesalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

Hi! I think that's a great idea! It would be an cost effective teaching tool, and a good way to introduce kids to having the correct embrochure for playing a woodwind instrument. The main issue would be to keep it in tune with each head joint, so that the key/fingerings stay consistent. Maybe have some type of telescoping tuning, so that it could compensate for the different overtones? Also, I think there would need to be a way to keep the appeal of the instrument to a minimum, so that the kids will want to switch to the real thing later on. I think you'd be really on to something if you made that!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:46 am

better to make "baby" versions of standard instruments to give the kiddos a better view of what awaits them when they "graduate" to mature instruments. they make
"altoons" and "teneroons" for people getting into double reeds such as bassoons. i saw an alto trombone once, it was notably smaller than the standard tenor. start the students off with recorders or flutaphones, to get their heads into basic musical theory, before graduating to more advanced instruments.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

Yes, I would :)

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:27 pm

Yes, I would :)