Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 6:58 pm

Monty Python has already answered that question.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

Let's be clear:

42 is not the meaning of life.

42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. (And knowledge of the question is specifically precluded where the answer is known).

Kraichgauer wrote:
Monty Python has already answered that question.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

As Bill most correctly points out, the meaning of life is,

Monty Python wrote:
Well, it's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

I will forego the gratuitous pictures of penises, however.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Okay, how about XLII?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Okay, how about XLII?

XLII sensum vitae non est.

XLII est solutio quaestionis ultimus vitae, universi et omnia

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm

The meaning of life is to spread out into the stars and secure our existence for the rest of time.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 12:41 am

It's probably messier than that.

Life probably has no direct meaning, but the impulses in the brain instructing it to look for meaning can likely be satisfied by certain answers.

The question of the meaning of life is so problematic because it relates to a flawed cognitive system, as really there is no answer that can fully satisfy the quest for a meaning of life, just like the OP points out. If the meaning of life is set, then it can be perceived as a cage and if that perception exists, it would still fail to satisfy the cognitive algorithm, BUT if it's indeterminate or subjective then it will fail to have truth-value to it, and simply be wholly an invention. Frankly, one of the things people need to be aware of is that not every cognitive system they have will be satisfied by any form of definite answer. So, "free will" is in some ways another question like that, as one can justify both the existence and non-existence of free will in various ways because the notion isn't fully fleshed out in the brain, even though people treat it as if the concept were just fully there to be found in reality.

cakey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2013, 1:48 am

The meaning has varied for me over time. I'd like to think life is about loving...but then there are people who aren't interested in love rather fame, money, or making their careers. So then I think life for humans may be all about finding our own happiness and simply enjoying life and existing . Animals live to survive, yet humans don't really have to do that much here esp. in rich places.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:17 am

The essence of existence!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:51 am

cakey wrote:
I'd like to think life is about loving...but then there are people who aren't interested in love rather fame, money, or making their careers. .

I imagine aspies dont normally give loving others too much attention....
But then...
Certain people ASD or NT have loving natures, and many aspies make good parents.
My pets got awesome meals and natural medicine, they were seldom ill, neurotic or unhappy. I expressed my love by caring for them
Pets really love good food