Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 5:53 am

I don't know what it is, I have often thought that because I have big eyes and a roundish face that this is why babies seem to stare at me so much. At times they have been transfixed. I seem to draw a lot of baby attention!

Could it be that they do this to everyone and because prolonged eye contact makes me feel so uncomfortable that this is why I notice it, or is it some weird phenomenon?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 6:12 am

They seem to be drawn to me too! I don't mind a bit - they usually like me and I get a smile out of 'em! ;)

Gawd I love babies!! (Not a very "masculine" trait, eh?)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 6:19 am

I realised that I should have specified what I meant when I said big eyes and roundish face, I meant like a baby has, so it's like they recognise me like "one of their own" LOL.

I remember once being on a bus, there was a baby being held over it's parent's shoulder and it wouldn't take its eyes off me, (I was a few seats back and there were a lot of other people on the bus it could have looked at). It was, ahem, really not a pretty baby, and the way it kept staring unblinkingly at me for ages was really unnerving.

Maybe it happens to everyone I don't know.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2012, 7:37 am

Yes, they stare at me. But, you know, it's normal for a baby, or for a child of 3-4, staring at older people. I don't think it has something to do with the fact I act in a "weird" way.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 8:28 am

Quote:
Do babies/toddlers stare at you?

not if i can help it. i avoid looking at small children who look at me because if they think they have my attention, then they subsequently show no restraint or respect for my privacy, and they will attract their mothers attention to me as well. i do not have any vacancy for other peoples input much, and so when i inadvertently incite their attention, i feel like i have made a mistake.

an example: i encountered an episode in a supermarket where a baby started screeching at me to regain my attention (in the checkout queue) after i briefly scanned it, and it's mother decided she would initiate conversation with me (regardless of my uninviting posture), and she said "he seems to like you".
i could not think of what to say and i said "not everything is as it seems". she said "noooo! he really seems to like you", but i was not interested in anything else but getting back home with my groceries (especially the refrigerated groceries), so i said "yes that is good. i am in a hurry to get home"

we exchanged no further conversation, and after my goods were checked out, i left and went home.

i guess that was an awkward social interaction, and it was not really a bother to me, but nevertheless, i was prevailed upon for a response from an unknown woman about what i thought of her baby simply because her baby crossed my visual scan field, and it (the baby) noticed and went beserk to try to re-attract my attention after my attention to it had passed.

i guess i am not answering in synch with the essence of this thread so that is all.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 9:00 am

Yes. Little kids like me. Instinctively.

It was that way with Daddy, too. Little kids, animals, and old people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 9:15 am

They do that to me as well. I think it's my facial features. The babyish face with the bubby lip. I also stare back at them, because I love them.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

Babies and Toddlers absolutely LOVE me for some reason. No matter where I go, I usually have babies pointing at me and smiling and toddlers running up to me. I thought it might have to do with how tall I am but they do it when I'm sitting, have a blank expression and intentionally look away from them.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm

Yes I attract a lot of attention from babies and little kids. It's 50/50 though whether they will stare at me and be mesmerised, or whether they will stare then cry. Whether I smile, speak, look back at them or ignore them, it could go either way.

I made a little friend on the train this week. She must have been about 4 and was going up to people and saying hi. I said hiya! and grinned at her, she giggled and ran back to her dad, then kept doing the same thing again. When I got off she shouted "bye bye nice lady!" at me, and I stood and waved until the train pulled away.

But it was so nice that her dad was playing along. Sadly often parents are so paranoid that if you show any attention to their child, they think you're trying to do harm.
ETA: Everyone else on the train ignored her, probably for that reason.

Last edited by ColdEyesWarmHeart on 22 Dec 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2012, 12:37 pm

Lately, I've noticed a lot of girls (some boys, but no-where near as many) around the ages of 2-7 looking (and often pointing) at me. They look mesmerised. I've never really noticed young children looking at me before, but that just could be because I've recently been trying to pay more attention to my surroundings

Martian_Child
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2012, 1:01 pm

They stare at me too! They're so perplexed by me. Maybe it's because I stick out a bit, and they find it fun to look at something less humdrum.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:11 pm

YES!! ! Hahaha i dont know why though usually I get smiles and giggles out of the baby staring at me other times its out of constant curiosity.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:15 pm

Heres a baby staring at you!! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBIC5laSis[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 24 Dec 2012, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

Not normally. I'm not usually one to take much notice of babies because I don't really like them (nothing personal).

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

No, why should they? :) :wink:

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

Yes, all the time! I don't actually like small children, but it seems I am some kind of magnet for them. (According to someone I get on well with older kids because I am mentally one of them...) The thing is that I don't actually want to interact with babies/toddlers and I have no clue on what to do with them.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6