Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2012, 11:38 am

Growing up I was told I looked stoned almost every day, even when I had no idea what it meant. Has anyone else been told this?
Well I was either told I looked stoned or angry but I was completely fine.
I also overhear people say I have evil eyes, but I'm almost never angry. Its all very vexing to me.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

Well, a lot of Aspies squint in bright light, trying to shield their sensory sensitivity, which can look like the half-lidded eyes of a stoner. Many also have a frowny default facial expression, or draw their eyebrows together when they're concentrating on their thoughts in a way that looks like anger. Neurotypical people rely a lot on facial expressions to deduce the internal state of other people, but those on the spectrum don't always exhibit facial expressions that are consonant with that internal state.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

People seem to interpret me as being grumpy or tired when I'm feeling fine. People with AS must be sending wrong signals to other people. I think that's one of our difficulties.

mystranger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2012, 12:17 pm

I had one person randomly tell me I looked stoned. This was first face-to-face I ever had with this classmate. Last time I checked, Ritalin in its forms doesn't make one look stoned. I could be wrong, though.

I also seem to have a constant frowny face going on too.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm

When I was in elementary school and for the first part of high school, people frequently said I looked stoned (not angry, though). They were pretty persistent about it, too. As far as I can tell it was because I didn't make eye contact much and often looked down or off to the side, or stared at nothing while I was thinking about something. It's less of a problem now.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm

Kids used to tell me to smile back in high school and at one of my old jobs, I kept being asked by my boss what is wrong. :roll:

Now I must be doing something right because I rarely get now "What's wrong?"

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 2:03 pm

I have been told that, it has led to getting stoned with people you would never expect to smoke

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

I actually am glad I don't hear this often.

OutlandMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2012, 3:11 pm

People are always thinking that I'm angry, or being sarcastic, when I don't mean to give that impression. It's the facial expression.
When I have what I think is a neutral, relaxed expression, people think I'm scowling. I've had difficulty holding jobs because of this.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2012, 3:20 pm

I have the same problem and people have the preception I am always angrey when I'm not. Away from where I live I am always laughing and happy it depends as well on how comfortable I am where I am at the time and the surroundings.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

People think I'm angry all the time when I'm just thinking (and even feeling happy while doing so).

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

I am Autistic and Asian, so I usually look stoned, angry, and/or sad, unless I try not to. Sometimes I'll get asked "Hey are you alright?" while I actually do feel good and so I say "Huh, Yeah, I feel great!".

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 8:28 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Well, a lot of Aspies squint in bright light

I did not know that. People have often said to me that I squint or that I look half-asleep when I'm outside, but I haven't made this connection. Perhaps I should get sunglasses or something?

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 1:36 am

I get the whole "You look mad--you need to smile more!" all the time, and it is so incredibly annoying. Just because I don't smile and act all perky 24/7/365 doesn't mean I'm angry at the world. I just don't feel the need to smile unless there's something to smile about.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 2:36 am

I don't recall ever being falsely accused of being stoned, but I did get told I looked angry or sad on several occasions, and I was feeling neither emotion. I was also encouraged to "smile" on more than one occasion. :roll:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

trollcatman wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:
Well, a lot of Aspies squint in bright light

I did not know that. People have often said to me that I squint or that I look half-asleep when I'm outside, but I haven't made this connection. Perhaps I should get sunglasses or something?

I never leave the house without them.