Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 12:19 pm

My friends at secondary school used to joke about me being stoned. I don't know because it was because of how I looked or how I behaved, probably a bit of both.
Other people, including my family, have told me I looked angry when I was just in thought about something and whenever they thought I should be angry.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm

I never smile a lot, and oftebnople told me that. What is a smile? Is it a thin curved line of your lips or do you also whos your teeth? I recenlty started experimenting for photos and say cheese or whisky...and then I look better on the picture, such a different face, but it doesn't come natural, but when I say whiskey I feel my cheeks stretching and then I know I give a good smile now. Althoug I find it silly one has to smile on a pic...but one does look better and friendlier, it makes you more approachable.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

People used to say I looked very serious all the time. They asked if I was ever happy i usally said not often. No one said I looked like a stoner (probably because 50% of them were/ are.)

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 2:24 pm

Yup. When I was in college some of my "friends" used to tell me that I looked stoned all the time. Then I got high with them ONE time and they were convinced that I was some kind of pot head. It was annoying, but I just let them have their fun because I couldn't exactly deny that I looked stoned. I guess I just thought that I was tired or something. I didn't learn about AS for another 5 or 6 years after that.

Recently, I walked into an acquaintances house and she took one look at me and said "OH MY GOSH WHAT'S WRONG!! !???" I was all like "Huh? What on earth are you talking about? I'm fine." She said I looked like something horrible happened to me.

At least I know why these things happen to me now :)

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:10 pm

i was told i look soooooo sad, but i wasnt feeling sad at all, not one bit. guess i just look detached and people mistake it for sad. because i'm not sad, but i certainly am detcahed, you bet!

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2012, 2:28 pm

People tell me I look sad/upset/angry all the time and it annoys me
So I try to smile most of the time...

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 4:57 pm

Yeah people used to laugh at me and say I looked stoned and a group of girls in middle school asked if I was "on crack" and said "come on, admit it, I can tell you're on crack". :o

I look stoned in my old class pictures.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.popscreen.com/v/5WNlc/SANTA-WAS-STONED-AT-CHRISTMAS[/youtube]

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm

Threore wrote:
Other people, including my family, have told me I looked angry when I was just in thought about something and whenever they thought I should be angry.

Mine mum still does this "whenever they think I should be angry" stuff. I find it very odd sometimes that they figure my default emotion is anger. In fact, it can be very frustrating to have someone make assumptions about me like that, because then I have to worry if I'm really portraying anger unintentionally or if they are imagining it.

I know for sure - until 6 months ago I would have said 100% that they were imagining it - that I often SOUND angry even if I'm not, even if I'm nowhere near angry. I know this, because on at least three occasions in the last 6 months people who had no reason to BS me have pointed this out to me.

It seems to happen more often when I start describing past events that confused the hell out of me (and still do).

Aspies in Confusion = Portray Anger? Time for you all to approach your families and friends and do field tests! :P

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:46 am

Because I can't walk properly, (I don't know whether this is ASD related or not) I have been asked if I was drunk. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was at school. :oops:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

VERY common, and I'm most often accused of being stoned when approached by police, or when I was in school. Oddly, I've never used any kind of drugs whatsoever (besides those prescribed by my doctor for specific illnesses or good reasons). My wife says I look angry in photos, but I haven't really heard that when in person.

I think this is all part of the body language disconnect that we have with Asperger's/H.F. Autism.

Charles

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm

I've never been told I looked stoned, but people very often assume I am sad or angry when I'm not. One time, someone asked if I was okay. I said yes - which I was - and they said, "Are you sure? You don't look fine." I assured them again that I was fine. Still unconvinced, they pressed the question until I was so annoyed I was no longer fine. :D

I also get people apologising to me for no particular reason I can see. I don't know if this is because I look angry or because they're using a social nicety I don't understand.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 12:33 am

I actually have a pretty "blank" face (figuratively). Except when I'm smiling, frowning, look angry, or lift up my eyebrows in a surprised sort of way. Other than that...my face is usually just blank.

I've had 1 person tell me that they honestly couldn't tell what I was feeling based on my face looking blank or having a "flat" expression. I tend to keep my face that way on purpose to keep people from reading me, as some type of defensive mechanism from my childhood. I do it for a couple reasons; 1: I sometimes just don't want people to know what I'm really thinking about them with certain conversations. 2: I don't like people reading me all that much, and 3: Sometimes out of a social fear, but doesn't happen often.

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 5:23 am

People often want to know "is something wrong?" I often appear vexed or worried to other people, even when I'm not particularly feeling anything.

Kapey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 5:46 am

When I was in school I used to have people telling me I looked stoned all the time. I still get it to some extent.

Venusflower67
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2012, 6:09 am

Yeah, I always look like I'm in a dream world, and like a lot of you have mentioned, I get asked heaps 'what's the matter?' or 'cheer up'...actually smiling seems to be an effort, especially in social settings where I have to put on 'the smile' for a few hours....I usually end up with a headache by the end of the event, holding my face in the same expression for so long lol.