The Major Factor underlying the Increase in Rampage Killings

Page 6 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

What is the Major Factor underlying the Increase of Rampage Killings in the last 3 Decades?
Guns. 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
A New Demographic of Males under the age of 26. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
The loss or abscence of a Social Role in Society. 26%  26%  [ 20 ]
Violent Video Games. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Mental Disturbance. 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Expiration of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban in 2004. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Other, Please Comment. 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 76

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm

Nor the tens of thousands of miles of our best land that is paved over for their use, or how they foul the air and water. Autos kill more children in the street than rage killers.

Could 40,000 dead be, "An Accident."

Some murders are discovered because bodies show up. Some are even solved.

About an equal number just vanish, around 25,000 a year, and not many of the 250,000 in the last decade ever showed up again, live or dead.

That might be because no one is looking. A missing person report calls for no action, just wait and see, and the police will not be out knocking a few doors, talking with friends, making any effort at all.

Sometimes like in Detroit, a dozen were found buried in the yard, but no effort was made to discover who the first half dozen knew in common.

Making the world safe from school shooters, will not make the world any safer. "We must prevent .0002% of murder", is the wrong focus.

The lives of more children would be saved by putting cameras on the back of cars, so they could see behind, while backing up. Several hundred a year die that way.

It is all a deal with the Devil, as when after 9/11 more people drove, and excess traffic deaths were higher than 9/11, planes, buildings and all.

Reducing highway speed limits back to 55, would save at least 5,000 lives a year. Just slow down, drive sane, and a hundred people a week will not die. We voted that sixteen people a day is a reasonable price to pay if it cuts four minutes off a thirty mile trip.

An annoying buzzer in all cars that would sound when following to close at the speed would prevent these chain pileups, when people drive bumper to bumper at 70 in total fog, rain, snow, till something happens.

The medical profession kills five times as many by errors. A quarter of a million a year, under the heading, Opps! As it is a Religion, it is not reviewed by government. The local police never investigate. Doctors can get away with murder. They can kill you, and sign the death certificate.

We could do a lot to reduce the overall death rate, but we do not care.

Someone did shoot up a school, movie, one in 330,000,000, in one small place, for about a minute. That is a very small target to prevent. There is no way to predict, and blinding everyone is the only way to prevent. Then you would not need schools and movies.

Of course, overweight, lack of exercize, diet, kill more people than all of the above combined.

I blame video games, they are such low quality, the gore is comic book, We need realism, like when the murder is shown in a South American news paper, with half their head blown off. High graphic billboards of what six people in a car look like, after it hit the bridge.

Congress is doing it's part, soon we will have people starving in the streets, carts coming around to gather the dead, and reality will be outside your door.

I do not know, if I did, I would turn myself in, and throw a brick through their window till they had to deal with me. Perhaps I just have other feelings, and besides, The Department of Motor Vehicles is as oppressive to the people who work there.

I think the fame thing has a lot to do with it, and just reporting some inconsiderate person ruined the movie for everyone, no name, no press, the result would be the same, but no fame for the shooter.

There were two serial killers near me, I never heard, till after they were convicted. They got no fame, it spawned no copycats. Their trials and convictions did not make the press.

As I recall, this all started with the Ted Bundy treatment, serial killer as movie star.

TV in the courtroom? The accused was innocent till proven guilty, so showing the trial is wrong.

After the trial, I can see fifteen minutes of fame, an edited last meal, last walk, and a close up as the guilty was strapped in the chair, and the switch was thrown. None of that mask stuff, smoke coming out the ears.

The Russians have a good method, a little article in the paper, some time in the last few months some thirty to fifty convicted murders were exacuted, somewhere, after their Birth Certificates, school records, all pictures, were destroyed. This is to announce that they never existed.

The only one they gave press, was known to have killed 53, traveled a lot, and they put his pictures and travels, and dates out, because they thought he might have killed hundreds. It was a last chance to clear up a lot of missing people.

They have as many unsolved as we do, as many disappeared, but the press is about captured, disposed of, which makes it look like they are doing something. It is always after the fact, captured, chained, tried, found guilty, going to die. Even their deaths are reported months after the fact.

The story reads, a stray dog that was killing chickens was captured and put down by animal control, sometime last month.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The population of the U.S is over 300,000,000 and probably no more than 100 a year are slain in "rampage killings" with fire arms. But 40,000 people a year die in auto accidents and I do not hear a single word about "automobile control" other than the usual licensing arrangements.

ruveyn

Seat belts, Air Bags, Anti Lock Brakes; the list goes on. Not all restrictions are enforced by legal requirements, but the issue of fatalities resulting from auto accidents have been effectively addressed over the last few decades and interestingly compared below with the steady increase of gun fatalities in homicides, suicides, and accidents, since a peak low in the year 2000.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -2015.html

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 9:17 am

aghogday wrote:

Of those 30,000 plus gunshot deaths only 8000 are homicides. The rest are suicides and accidents. There are twice as many suicides by gunshot as their are homicides by gunshot.

The effect of "gun control" would be to deny folks who are tired of living a quick death. Gunshot to the head is quicker and more painless than any other kind of suicide.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 10:25 am

08 did not bring safer cars and saner drivers, it brought recession, mass layoffs, and higher gas prices. People did slow down, to save gas, and kept their cars in better repair, because they were not getting a new one.

Miles driven are way down, but gun ownership and population are up, and the gun deaths flatline over time.

Gun ownership is also tied up with people's right to off themselves. Do I smell some plan to take away the guns and convert that into Office Hours and Drug Sales?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Of those 30,000 plus gunshot deaths only 8000 are homicides. The rest are suicides and accidents. There are twice as many suicides by gunshot as their are homicides by gunshot.

The effect of "gun control" would be to deny folks who are tired of living a quick death. Gunshot to the head is quicker and more painless than any other kind of suicide.

ruveyn

There are pros and cons. It also provides children permanent solutions to temporary problems when the guns are laying around the house. Along with the same issue that occurs when guns are left laying around the house and accidents result in deaths.

Israel has it covered with stiff jail terms for guns that are not properly secured, and "get away" from the owner. These type of issues do not require guns bans, only penalties for irresponsible behavior, with a tool of death.

But, irresponsible behavior is the prize, not the lives of the children. Obviously that applies in too many others areas of life than to list in one topic, but not too many that have the "sudden impact" of this issue, other than vehicle accidents, caused by irresponsible behavior.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 8:05 pm

I believe a lot of it's due to the gradual destruction of morals in this society. If I might be so bold, I will also add that since God was taken out of the schools and is now being taken out of the public eye, things like this have been happening more and more.

I don't want a debate on this. I've said my piece, and I'm moving on.

aspiebostonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2012, 8:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
techn0teen wrote:
Are you going to discriminate against people with mental illness from purchasing or owning a gun?

Yes.

You do know many NTs think we are all mentally ill, right? Do you want to be entered into a database and told you can't have something you would be just as responsible as most people about simply because of the ignorance of the masses?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

noxnocturne wrote:
I believe a lot of it's due to the gradual destruction of morals in this society. If I might be so bold, I will also add that since God was taken out of the schools and is now being taken out of the public eye, things like this have been happening more and more.

praise to president reagan,the last american politician that was worth a damn.

i sometimes like to say "america july 4th 1776 to january 21st 1989"

they dont make leaders like that anymore

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

noxnocturne wrote:

When God was in the public schools we had chattel slavery of Negroes. A fat lot of good God did in the schools.

ruveyn

aspiebostonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2012, 9:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
noxnocturne wrote:

When God was in the public schools we had chattel slavery of Negroes. A fat lot of good God did in the schools.

ruveyn

A lot of good things have been done in God's name, and a lot of bad things have been done in God's name. I'm glad I'm not in school anymore. I was diagnosed less than a year ago, and I'm trying to picture showing up and being bullied because of what happened in Newtown. I was already bullied just for being different and before they knew what to call it. I'm also trying to picture showing up with a bunch of armed guards and police around and I wonder how that would have affected my learning environment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
noxnocturne wrote:

ruveyn

Not to mention, the teaching of evolution was strictly forbidden in most schools. A fine education that would be (sarcasm).

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
noxnocturne wrote:

ruveyn

Not to mention, the teaching of evolution was strictly forbidden in most schools. A fine education that would be (sarcasm).

When we had chattel slavery of negroes we did not have 10% of them in jail.

And Jesus said to them, "let he who does not have a sword sell his cloak
and buy one."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

Inventor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
noxnocturne wrote:

ruveyn

When we had chattel slavery of negroes we did not have 10% of them in jail.

And Jesus said to them, "let he who does not have a sword sell his cloak
and buy one."

No, 10% of blacks in slavery days weren't in prison, because they were slaves. At least a prison sentence in most cases will end with the incarcerated person's freedom - not so with slavery.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 2:26 pm

these like the irish and muslim bombers, chinese stabbers
are terrorist acts of desperate and crazy people
cure their desperation- viola
exacerbate their frustration, desperation
and resulting craziness, and
viola

if nothing will be done about education and autism in America [and gun control] then be prepared for more of the same from crazies, who appear to be increasing in number
anti bullying legislation [school and workplace] would produce good results in this area....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 2:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
[

Only in a few states. In most states Darwin's theory is covered in a superficial way.

ruveyn

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:42 pm

Though there seems to be a combination of factors that play a significant role in the actions of a spree killer/rampage killer, the most common factor in almost every spree killing (excluding those prior to the 1960s) has been the use and (often) cessation or irregular use of psychopharmaceuticals. In the past decade of studying, this has been the one factor that has appeared most frequently upon cross-analysis. Prior to the 1960s, many persons with psychological distrubances were housed in institutions (and during the Second World War, data was often inconsistent or, as was the case with Nazi Germany, unreliable or even absent).