Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 12:51 am

What the uploader posted, very important:

On a trip to visit family in Seoul in April, I was approached by a man and a woman who claimed to be North Korean defectors. They presented me with a DVD that recently came into their possession and asked me to translate it. They also asked me to post the completed film on the Internet so that it could reach a worldwide audience. I believed what I was told and an agreement was made to protect their identities (and mine).

Despite my concerns about what I was viewing when I returned home, I proceeded to translate and post the film on You Tube because of the film's extraordinary content. I have now made public my belief that this film was never intended for a domestic audience in the DPRK. Instead, I believe that these people, who presented themselves as 'defectors' specifically targeted me because of my reputation as a translator and interpreter.

Furthermore, I now believe these people work for the DPRK. The fact that I have continued to translate and post the film in spite of this belief does not make me complicit in their intention to spread their ideology. I chose to keep posting this film because - regardless of who made it - I believe people should see it because of the issues it raises and I stand by my right to post it for people to share and discuss freely with each other.

Sabine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NMr2VrhmFI[/youtube]

All the info in this film is incredibly accurate, I made sure to look up anything that I was skeptical of while watching. It makes sense if what I put in bold above holds true. Fascinating that, arguably, the nation that promotes the largest amount of propaganda in history would release this documentary. Hypocrisy at it's finest, but I'm glad they made this. I just wish they would turn away from their own crooked system.
So I ask you, please attempt to watch all of this. I'm sure that some here will object to some parts of this film, especially the parts that criticize Israel, but bear through it. It might give you new perspective.

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 6:00 am

BUMP.

I must say, the movie is obviously partial towards the DPKR, and has an enormous bias against capitalism. But what it really is targeting is corporatism. Which is ironic because the documentary points out the existence of corporatism earlier on, even including the quote by Benito Mussolini in which he equates corporatism with fascism. In other words, fascism according to Mussolini is the merger of the state and business institutions. Although I'm not sure the quote is authentic, I believe it to be true either way. How else would a fascist state usurp power in the first place? I'm sure that if Standard Oil hadn't supplied oil to Germany during both World Wars, its war efforts would have been drastically curtailed.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

Thanks for sharing. I'll watch it some time when I have a couple of hours to spare.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 10:16 am

During the 1.5 hours that it takes to play this propaganda piece, how many in the DPRK will perish from malnutrition?

ruveyn

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

Thank you for the rhetorical question, Ruveyn. Doesn't diminish the fact that this documentary holds valuable information. It's much more a documentary than it is a propaganda piece.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:39 am

1. I remembered some of my classmates (all K pop fans) rolling their eyes when a teacher said in a serious tone that South Korea has been trying to brainwash the whole world into accepting its supremacy through K pop. Psychological warfare?

2. I frequently read the blogs of certain Communication Studies students. These students are future journalists or PR people. The irony is that while they are learning how to produce content for mass media, they keep reminding their readers not to place too much faith in the mass media.

3. I have always viewed North Korea as the land of meaningless slogans. The irony is that North Korean producers of this documentary (although I view it as a piece of anti-West propaganda disguised as a documentary) think that the Western world is full of meaningless slogans.

4. Wow, even before watching this video, I have already interpreted President Bush’s cry for democracy to be spread as a euphemism for military intervention. (I’m not American.)

5. The suggestion that Americans shouldn’t pay taxes (because taxes will end up funding Israel’s activities) seems a tad too extreme to me, but when I was still a kid, parents and teachers drummed the notion that USA will never ever drift apart from Israel because Jews exert strong influence over USA’s politics and economy into my mind.

6. Communism seems to oppose religion, but the irony is that Communist countries seem to worship people like Stalin and Mao as though they were gods.

7. I used to be obsessed with Christopher Columbus, but his world view differed from mine so greatly that his feats repulsed me. (I understand that our world views differ because we are living in different eras, yet I wouldn’t want to befriend him even if there were an opportunity to do so.)

8. I believe that almost every country in this world is either a perpetrator of atrocities or a victim of atrocities or both. On one hand, I think that it’s irrational to insist that countries should shoulder blame for past atrocities. On the other hand, I think that it’s cowardly if a country (I’m thinking of China now…) keeps portraying itself as a victim while denying that it has committed atrocities in its history.

9. When the North Korean producers accused Israel of using censorship to control the media, I thought, “Pot calling the kettle black. You mean North Korea is censorship-free?”

10. Huh? “We have invaded none”? I have always thought that North Korea’s invasion of South Korea led to the Korean War?

11. The phrase “shopping for children” made me laugh.

12. I loathe Holocaust deniers. 9/11 deniers are just as detestable.

To seabass: I thought that you were the uploader until I re-read your post. Oops.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:59 am

Certainly possible. I got the gist of it, I'm not watching it is its entirety, too long.

I agree it is not for domestic audience, the stuff they made for domestic audience in NK is cruder than this, with simpler concepts and lower production values. The production value here are like those produced in the west. So they may have funded it but I think there are others involved.

Good propaganda has a grain of truth.

To me this is like some program on Russia Today, only better,

Tbh I think far as fair, Some of the idea here a pretty skewed but even though it has propaganda value it could just as well be produced in the US,etc. It is just as dangerous to label thing as subversive, then ban them.

PR agencies are not single conspiracies. The flaw in grand conspiracies is self interest. It is true the PR agencies do spin BS that is their job, but people are also over simplistic about issues themselves. It wouldn't work otherwise.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:59 am

K Pop is terrible but I wouldn't ban it.

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2012, 9:45 am

icyfire4w5 wrote:
1. I remembered some of my classmates (all K pop fans) rolling their eyes when a teacher said in a serious tone that South Korea has been trying to brainwash the whole world into accepting its supremacy through K pop. Psychological warfare?

2. I frequently read the blogs of certain Communication Studies students. These students are future journalists or PR people. The irony is that while they are learning how to produce content for mass media, they keep reminding their readers not to place too much faith in the mass media.

3. I have always viewed North Korea as the land of meaningless slogans. The irony is that North Korean producers of this documentary (although I view it as a piece of anti-West propaganda disguised as a documentary) think that the Western world is full of meaningless slogans.

4. Wow, even before watching this video, I have already interpreted President Bush’s cry for democracy to be spread as a euphemism for military intervention. (I’m not American.)

5. The suggestion that Americans shouldn’t pay taxes (because taxes will end up funding Israel’s activities) seems a tad too extreme to me, but when I was still a kid, parents and teachers drummed the notion that USA will never ever drift apart from Israel because Jews exert strong influence over USA’s politics and economy into my mind.

6. Communism seems to oppose religion, but the irony is that Communist countries seem to worship people like Stalin and Mao as though they were gods.

7. I used to be obsessed with Christopher Columbus, but his world view differed from mine so greatly that his feats repulsed me. (I understand that our world views differ because we are living in different eras, yet I wouldn’t want to befriend him even if there were an opportunity to do so.)

8. I believe that almost every country in this world is either a perpetrator of atrocities or a victim of atrocities or both. On one hand, I think that it’s irrational to insist that countries should shoulder blame for past atrocities. On the other hand, I think that it’s cowardly if a country (I’m thinking of China now…) keeps portraying itself as a victim while denying that it has committed atrocities in its history.

9. When the North Korean producers accused Israel of using censorship to control the media, I thought, “Pot calling the kettle black. You mean North Korea is censorship-free?”

10. Huh? “We have invaded none”? I have always thought that North Korea’s invasion of South Korea led to the Korean War?

11. The phrase “shopping for children” made me laugh.

12. I loathe Holocaust deniers. 9/11 deniers are just as detestable.

To seabass: I thought that you were the uploader until I re-read your post. Oops.

I knew before posting that there would be disagreement with how the film portrayed how 9/11 occurred, not just its portrayal of Israel. But it did not deny the holocaust. It just mentioned that the death of the 6 million Jews is heavily highlighted by the media while the death of 20+ million Russians is sorta ignored. I agree with that. I also believe the events surrounding 9/11 seem fishy . . . sue me.

Also, just because North Korea had been the first to invade, doesn't mean we had to invade them. We actually went in as a "police action" under the UN. Our methods were grave and many unnecessary lives were lost, on both sides. But that's just my opinion, again.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

Well sure, N Korea is still a war state. It got into that mentality, and realized that was useful for their regime.

That is the difference between Vietnam and North Korea. Both were questionable conflicts, however Vietnam is not blowing hot air the whole time, it has got on with things.

grunt200
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mYM7nKrf0[youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

Seabass wrote:
Thank you for the rhetorical question, Ruveyn. Doesn't diminish the fact that this documentary holds valuable information. It's much more a documentary than it is a propaganda piece.

Here is a single image of the Korean Peninsula taken by satellite at night.

This tells the story of N. Korea very eloquently:

http://us.gizmodo.com/5869533/the-stark ... from-space

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm

Seabass wrote:
So I ask you, please attempt to watch all of this. I'm sure that some here will object to some parts of this film, especially the parts that criticize Israel, but bear through it. It might give you new perspective.

Very cliche. The usual diatribes against some of the extremities found in Western nations. Given a choice between some people over-eating, over-dressing and just being silly as opposed to a population that is mostly malnourished and controlled in every aspect of the lives of the people, I will choose the former. Not because it is better, but because it is not as bad as the latter.

Two cheers for over indulgence.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Here is a single image of the Korean Peninsula taken by satellite at night.

This tells the story of N. Korea very eloquently:

http://us.gizmodo.com/5869533/the-stark ... from-space

ruveyn

North Korea would probably be a good place from which to watch the stars at night.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

North Korea would probably be a good place from which to watch the stars at night.

Assuming anyone but Dear Leader were allowed to have a telescope.

ruveyn