'Arrest us all' - The Guardian, 16 Sept. 2005

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 1:36 pm

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/sep/16/india.gender

In reference to the ongoing protests against gang rape in Delhi.

How do NTs do that?

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2012, 1:50 pm

Sounds like someone bit off more than they could chew and choked?

Gangrape sickens me to my stomach - we're supposed to be an intelligent species from 2000+ years of evolution ffs.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

How long are these women supposed to suffer?

Sylkat

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 1:41 pm

Dhawal wrote:
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/sep/16/india.gender

In reference to the ongoing protests against gang rape in Delhi.

I'm confused. Can you help me understand how the two cases are related? (Other than the fact that their both rape related?)

The first link leads to a story from 2005, regarding crimes that happened in Kasturba Nagar.

The second link is a Wikipedia article about 2012 gang rapes in Delhi.

What is the connection between the two? Are you making a statement about a cultural problem? I'm not sure why the first is "in reference to the second" or how it could be considering the first happened 7 years previous to the second.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 10:06 am

It's both. It is rape-related as well as a cultural problem. India is one of the countries with very high rape incidence. It will show as less in statistics, because most cases are not reported out of fear. I wrote the "in reference to" part, because this is the news section and the article is from 2005. In India this is the biggest current issue right now. I think it has also been reported in a lot of international media.

How do NTs do that?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

Dhawal wrote:
It's both. It is rape-related as well as a cultural problem. India is one of the countries with very high rape incidence. It will show as less in statistics, because most cases are not reported out of fear. I wrote the "in reference to" part, because this is the news section and the article is from 2005. In India this is the biggest current issue right now. I think it has also been reported in a lot of international media.

That's what I thought, but I'd prefer to hear it from you since you posted it. I'd rather not assume. Thanks.

It is definitely a sad cultural problem when such corruption is allowed to exist systemically for so long. I can't help but believe the actions of those women are probably just the tip of the iceberg to come. In such an old culture that has tolerated such cancerous corruption for so long, I can't see what other ways there are to change things other than for the masses who've been taken advantage of for so long to simply stand up and scream "Enough is enough!"

If this swells into a mass movement, I can see anarchy on the horizon. Whether that ends with a better order or just more anarchy, remains to be seen. Unless the powers that be simply squash it.

When things like this happen around the world, it reminds me that we as Americans really do live in a bubble. Most of us don't believe anything like that can happen here. History says it can happen anywhere. Even here. The bubble we live in is no stronger than a soap bubble in reality, and could pop at any time.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

The 2005 incident was a solitary one. I didn't know about it myself until it appeared in the media in connection with the current protests. The 2012 protests are peaceful (at least the protesters are). The government has used force to suppress the protests.

How do NTs do that?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

At least someone is trying to expose these outrages in India!

While researching these optics, I discovered something that happened in America, in August of 2012, that I had never heard of...

A fifteen or sixteen-year-old girl in Steubenville, Ohio, America, either drank alcohol until she passed out, or was forced to drink, or one version says she was dosed with Rohypnol.

She was raped by a number of teen-aged boys from the local high school.

She was still unconscious, so they carried her to another party, where she was again assaulted by more than one at a time.

She was then carried to another party where the rapes continued.
She was taken, unconscious, to as many as four parties; no one knows how many violated her.

A video can be watched on HuffingtonPost. A very clever and amusing wit named Michael Nodianos laughs and jokes 'She is so raped.....'
He goes on to laugh and say 'She is deader than Caylee Anthony!'
'She is deader than O.J.'s wife'
'She is deader than Trayvon Martin'

This is a 12-minute video, Google 'She is so raped'.....as far as I can tell, while someone filmed this with a camera phone, the girl was being assaulted in the same room as he was watching and laughing at the spectacle.

Near the beginning, a voice says 'He just raped her'

Local people are angry that their football team might be disciplined and the football campionship compromised by players' involvement in this horror.

This is America?
We are outraged by abuse of women in Pakistan and Afghanistan?
We are appalled by the suffering and death of the medical student in India?

Why was I, who reads the news daily on two to three news websites, completely unaware of this...has anyone else ever heard of it?

We are rightly apalled that water cannons were used against peaceful protestors, in India, but how can Americans sweep THIS abuse under the rug?

Five months later, no trial, no convictions, no arrests, and nothing on the nightly news?

How dare we criticize other countries?

Sylkat