Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you feel ok with the autism label? Wouldn't you rather be called an introvert?
I don't care either way, people insult each other all the time. 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
I find it hard to see my strenght when all people focus on is what I can't do instead to value my skill and help me with the rest 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I wish they'd described us as introverts, just a type of person, instead of a disability. I am more clever and skilled in certain areas than the average joe. If they don't have a syndrome for their flaws why should I. 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Knowing that I have a disability helped me understand and get help to be accepted by society 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 19

LisaOfShades
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Dec 2012, 1:06 am

Intro:

Hi, I don't know if I am one, but I sure have issues with the Averages (Normal is just a math of all people, then we bully whoever is out of the centrer... lame... I'm very angry about that attitude... I don't mean to break the forum rules... but if you are perfectly normal... well... I do mean to poke you in the eye a little... if you don't even try to see and understand me that is...)

I just saw a couple of movies by this site's creator. Many people just want me to be in awe before them... when they're just worms really. But you, you're worthy of my respect. It made me feel bad about my own parents... and look at my life as a failure even if just surviving makes it a success... (I'm a hard core hermit since I got attacked 4 time the same day last year... thank you for not banning me long ago, I was so scared and hurt that I was acting out)... but there is something that I found very appalling... it's the label. I think it stops people from understanding us and puts sticks in our wheel... making us aim in the wrong direction... and give people the wrong outlook and demands... they should look at our special strength, not at the down side of them... we should have the same courtesy as they get even if our specialization is more rare, which usually mean more precious.

So here's he long PM that I first wrote to someone, may you enjoy it... and look at yourself in a better light... than the shadow society imposed on anyone different... even the blacks, who merely evolved to survive dangerously high arid sun conditions... are looked down upon... yeah they probably have a problem with our winters, but they sure would get the last laugh in a desert... (well, my first bully was a black... so... but I can see that it's not the skin color that make people as*holes, it's people. XD Misanthropic joke, don't take it too bad...)

So here goes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just watched some movies by the creator of this site. He's such a great guy. But I have a strong belief that society looks at it the wrong way. I read the book "the highly sensitive person" (or some title because it was in french) and it explained that there are two kind of people. Extrovert and introverts, wired differently, for very specific and specialized purpose. The majority of people, the average, what we wrongly call "normal" as in "acceptable" are extrovert... they learn by copying, they look outside for information, and they filter a lot of info, just getting some basics... they make great soldiers... we need many because they die quick. On the other hand, we need few introverts... people who are going to be very alert, even in their sleep, who will absorb all possible information with their very sensitive nervous system, with a brain that can analyze more image per second, and a variety of things... they make great advisers, and only a few are needed to advise the king... and in animals they alert the herd of danger at night. They get tired faster, because they process more things faster, they experience more things in a short period of time and more intensely, so they get exhausted and hurt more easily, need more rest and emotional support. Unfortunately the majority of people, who don't have that problem, for their threshold of stimulation vs boredom is higher, see it as a weakness... a disability... when it's the direct result of STRENGTH and SPECIAL SKILLS, that they do not have! But none of us will bully them for not being able to notice a flower, appreciate its smell, be able to paint it, and find medicine from it. Because we find satisfaction within ourselves, in the dept of the world. We don't need to feel power from crushing others to gain social status. Because that's outside issues, and we're too busy thinking about how to understand things and make them better. While the extroverted are doers, they don't really think before they do, nor reflect much after... We are the thinkers, the wise people, the scientists, what doctors should be (not cool to be mocked by them, told that it's in our head, instead to find a cure, and just cover up the body's danger alerts instead to do something about the causes... criminals. And call people with different specialization defective instead to help them reach their full potential) before computers we were prized. Of course there is different degrees of being introverted, and if you practice 100% of your time and energy on thinking, you won't have any "experience points" in social interactions and expressing those ideas... which can be a problem, but everyone is entitled of the other side of their medal... ours shows more because it's in the exterior... but extroverts who know nothing about their own selves and interest, just following trends blindly to fit in... they might be in higher number, but it's still tragic too... if they are entitled to be different than us, then so are we... because we have much to offer to the world... and if they cannot help us bring it forth in a way that is adapted to our reality... it's as much their fault and inadequacy as it is ours. If their greater number really made them better, if our rare gifts really made us inadequate, defective and inferior, then it,s all the more reason for them to stop to expect US to adapt to them, and do the effort since they are supposedly so stronger and better. Which is just as stupid as expecting them to see the world through our eyes, to compose a symphony, or find the cure for cancer, which is by the way THE cure... or more precisely the last resort of our body to prolong life when there is more toxins coming in than we can take them out... we roll them into balls and try to isolate them in a hopeful cry. Tragically, our world is toxic, we think that artificial things are superior to the nature and life we're made of, instead to prevent and cure disease by giving our bodies what they need, avoiding what destroy them, and letting the body cure itself. There are things, even things that we claim to make us healthier, like fluoride in the water and vaccines, that can cause brain damage. Or sugar crashes from unstable fuel, from the heavily processed and sweetened chemicals that we try to pass as food. When someone gets brain damage, or not the proper fuel and good fat to build and repair our fat brains, they won't be able to process information or function a healthy way, because that growth and energy was denied to them... I think that's a different kind of challenge, and that we use the word autism for both, when none of those situations would make the use of that term accurate and anything less than discriminatory and belittling... I don't want to be called defective and a syndrome just because I'm a deep thinker, specialized in deep meditation and creativity, it's thanks to people like me if we invented the wheel and everything else after. And when I space out from a blood sugar crash, I don't want people to say that my brain is defective, because it would be working just right if society didn't shatter my organs with poison, and when I'm well fed, my brain works better than the very vast majority of people.

I think the word autism is pure discrimination. Perhaps some got brain damage in the womb or growing up from those toxins we put in food and inject us "for our own good", but I believe that the huge majority are simply introverts, specialized in something as useful as it is different, even, and especially, those who are so extreme that they can't even speak... and if the extroverts shut up for a second and took the time to think inside, they would understand, and they would refrain from terrifying us to the point that we don't dare to talk or go out anymore. Which is most likely more related to their flawed lack of deep thoughts, than the fact that we're the opposite of extroverts. Labelling us with a syndrome instead of simply a skill type is demeaning, and isn't helping us blossom outside of our brains, coming out in society, and certainly doesn't open a path for us to offer our special skills to the world. I wish we could see it for ourselves... that we're not disabled people, that everyone have flaws and we're entitled to ours. They are as normal as the majority of people who might have other ones, but still have a downside to their skills too. We should have them focus on our skills instead, but I guess it,s hard for them... because hey can't do what we can... so they can't even imagine our skills... and it feels more safe for them to mock us... than see how puny some aspect of them are compared to our strength... compared to some of our geniuses... we have a limited energy and time in our days and in our lives... we cannot be good at everything, and the better we get at one thing, the more other areas suffer... but we need people who are the best... so we can move forward as a society... we don't need to be average-good in everything anymore... because as a huge society we can count on the skills of others... that's how we evolved so much... some people sacrificed cooking skills and time so they could perfect the art of house building more perfectly... while others became the best cook there is... some people got huge strong hands for heavy lifting, and others got tiny delicate fragile hand for meticulous work... some were great doers and once given a goal, they accomplished great things with blind passion... and others spent their days inside, thinking of a way to prolong life and cure the sick... This require different kind of bodies, of taste, of minds... and if there isn't many of some, it's all the more precious. While school was made by extroverts for extroverts needs, they need to think a little and see beyond them... and adapt it to the needs of others. And especially while no living creature is made to sit still, never blinking, all day long. Instead of drugs we should readjust school, motivate teachers to be less boring perhaps by giving them more money, by seeing education as a bigger priority, that would help everyone excel.

I don't know much about autism, I don't even know if I have asperger, but I know labelling people as defective is wrong. While we do that, we just judge them, we shatter their hopes and self esteem. We tell them to be as good as anybody, forcing them to excel in their speciality and be average in everything else... exhausting them and dooming them to be forever a failure... instead to let them embrace their skills and help them put them to good use, helping them with the rest, like the very purpose of a community, like a community should.

Normal actually means average. The "Averages people" might be able to get away from 2 planes motors and 5 heavy metal rock bands playing at the same time in full volume... but people with a more receptive brain and nervous system have to bear the extreme life style or regular society, and can't get away, they are looked down on when they need calm, as if we should enjoy ear damaging music in bars and screaming at each other... as if it was fun... and then the Averages don't understand why they don't feel good and get diseases from too much unhealthy exposures. If the Averages got harassed and overstimulated until their nervous system was irritated to the point of feeling like having needles and razor blades all over.... (happened to me after a bad reaction to medicine, all light was like a needle in my eyes, all sounds was like a scream... It was hell... usually it's less worst though.) If they had to bear that, imposed by people telling them it's normal and they should be happy, they'd rock themselves screaming too!

Pfiou~ I feel better... well, hopefully I didn't waste too much of your life XD

Enjoy~

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2012, 1:11 am

There are extroverted people on the spectrum, and there are introverts who aren't on the spectrum. And I don't consider "autistic" a negative word.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 1:35 am

The wall of text makes this post difficult to read.

If I'm understanding the post correctly, the OP wants to change ASDs to "introverted".

I'm not sure how neurological "wiring" for more literal processing, documented non-verbal communication differences, and document sensory issues corrospond to "introversion".

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 2:59 am

Exploring self perception is always good. Most of what was ever said about autism was shown to be wrong, and most of that came from the outside.

Our perception is not covered by the the words in some book. It may define us to outsiders, but our world is still little known.

The rate at which our brains burn energy, does vary, and we are on or off.

Aut, turning within, does define introvert. People can show other patterns, we have had to live with them, but our natural state is yet to be defined.

I will keep reading, I see the OP is reaching for truth. We are not 10% toward understanding, applying what is, and we are moving in that direction.

It will be seen as something different when it comes.

Alex is working on telling the outside world, but we need some inside views for us.

Shades are not this or that, but perceptions of coming things.

Besides which, I write walls of text, so all is forgiven.

LisaOfShades

25 Dec 2012, 5:37 am

fluffypinkyellow wrote:
There are extroverted people on the spectrum, and there are introverts who aren't on the spectrum. And I don't consider "autistic" a negative word.

Interesting~ Well, I am in between introvert and extrovert, scored high on an aspie online test but no diagnose... I'm glad that you don't see it as negative... but the way they label and handle us... or you if I'm not... or some... is negative... instead to tell someone "be more like me" they should say "okay, what do you have to offer like everyone else?"

AgentPalpatine wrote:
The wall of text makes this post difficult to read.

If I'm understanding the post correctly, the OP wants to change ASDs to "introverted".

I'm not sure how neurological "wiring" for more literal processing, documented non-verbal communication differences, and document sensory issues corrospond to "introversion".

Sorry... I had so much to say, I could have made a movie XD
OP?
ASD?
I just want society to stop labelling everything different as a disorder and try to understand that things and people are just what they are, often for a good reason. And the reason it hurts isn't because of what we are, but how others treat us, or anyone remotely different.

Inventor wrote:
Most of what was ever said about autism was shown to be wrong, and most of that came from the outside.

The rate at which our brains burn energy, does vary, and we are on or off.

Aut, turning within, does define introvert.

Alex is working on telling the outside world, but we need some inside views for us.

Shades are not this or that, but perceptions of coming things.

Besides which, I write walls of text, so all is forgiven.

Yeah, they don't understand anything for not even living it, and they claim to tell us what to do, and "fix" us... gross...

interesting~

How would you define introvert then? It's kinda raw logic to me...

Yeah he's a great guy.

Thanks.

Well, I know nothing about autism except the public image of someone bended weird, making weird sounds... but I think when it's that handicapped looking... it's brain damage from chemicals in our food... when it's just an attitude... not everyone has the same innate common sense... I might not have shallow etiquette, but I wouldn't bully someone into suicide... who's sick hm...

Peace~

Any link to a good explanation on autism? I'll look eventually... *bit scared*

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 7:54 am

I dated a Neurotypical Introvert, I am a social creature, I like my alone time too but i much rather be with people, than alone. There is a big difference between an Introvert and an Aspie/Autistic.... A BIIIIIIG DIFFERENCE!! ! No aspies n auties should not be just called Introverts. Sure i know hermit like aspies, but even theyre very open to talk about themselves when asked. My Introvert ex was like trying to bleed a stone dry....

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 8:05 am

I don't consider "Autism" a negative term, and there are clear differences between NT introverts and people on the spectrum. There are also disabling aspects which have to be addressed.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 9:59 am

Introvert already has a meaning, and it encompasses about a third of the population. Most of them are not aspies, obviously. Some aspies are actually extroverts. I am both an introvert and an aspie - simply saying I'm an "introvert" would be misleading, implying I'm much more "normal" than I actually am. I don't think NT introverts would appreciate us co-opting the term, either.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Sorry

Introvert does not equal aspie.

The different lies in the ability to function socially. An introvert, while he/she may not like socializing at times, is always fully capable of it, and understanding the non-spoken aspects of communication. This is not true of aspies.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

Autistics are in a world within a world.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 12:43 am

I didn't answer, since none of the choices fit my point of view. I only learned what Asperger's is in my 50s and recognized myself at once. I knew I was an introvert for a long time before that, but I also knew that introversion didn't cover everything going on with me, neither did introvert with social anxiety. They are not the same things!

But you can call yourself whatever you want. If you would rather be called an introvert, then you probably are an introvert in addition to whatever autistic spectrum variant you might be dealing with, and frankly, introvert is easier for most people to understand.

I'm not a poster child for autism, myself. I'm not even formally diagnosed. I've only told a few people that I suspect I have Asperger's, and half of those have responded with, "Do you really want to label yourself that way?" With most people that I deal with, if I feel a need to explain myself, I tell them I'm an extreme introvert. I'm comfortable with that, and really everything else is none of their business unless I make it so.

In spite of that I do still try to educate people a little about autism when I get the chance, because this would all be easier if more people understood it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 2:02 am

Autism and Asperger Syndrome are not the same as introversion and should not be called something that they are not.

These issues of labeling and self-esteem have no relevance to me, perhaps because I am autistic and don't automatically care about these issues.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

26 Dec 2012, 3:50 am

They aren't the same thing.
As has already been said, there are autistic extroverts, and non-autistic introverts.

One is a social style.

The other is a disability impacting many areas of functioning, and it's kind of insulting to dismiss as "not being very social".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Dec 2012, 1:41 pm

fluffypinkyellow wrote:

This. I also think that calling all Autistics Introverts would be highly confusing and would lead to more ignorance.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
They aren't the same thing.
As has already been said, there are autistic extroverts, and non-autistic introverts.

One is a social style.

The other is a disability impacting many areas of functioning, and it's kind of insulting to dismiss as "not being very social".
Introversion isn't a social style, it's part of one's personality, it's nearly as ingrained as autism, just not as extreme and not a disorder - although you'd have trouble convincing a lot of extroverts of that.

While they're not the same thing, and some autistics are in fact extroverted, if one is an introvert and on the autsitic spectrum (and particularly if they don't have a formal diagnosis), and they don't feel it's anyone business that they're on the autistic spectrum, I see nothing wrong with simply telling people they're introverted.

Even introversion could use a boost in acceptance and awareness. In fact, if the world as a whole was more accepting of introverts, I suspect it would be a lot closer to understanding and accepting autism.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

Labeling autism as introversion simply negates many other issues related to autism and conflates autistic people (who often need assistance and accommodations) with introverts who do not experience impairments.

Autism is not just social. It's also impairments in communication and repetitive behaviors. It also tends to feature sensory differences.