Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 11:06 am

How many hours should you spend outdoors too keep healthy

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 11:42 am

Well you only need enough natural light to give your daily dose of vitamin D something like 45mins to an hour.

Having access to quality air does help.

As long as you have exercise in your week you should be fine, it does matter where you do it, but outdoor exercise, can be more fun.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Well you only need enough natural light to give your daily dose of vitamin D something like 45mins to an hour.

In the middle of the day in the summertime. Wait until after 5 pm and you aren't going to do much.

In the winter, if you are very far north, you will hardly be able to produce any vitamin D. According to one talk on the subject by a vitamin D researcher, if you live further north than Atlanta Georgia, you basically won't be able to produce any vitamin D in the winter no matter how many hours you are outside.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

Yes but you also produce most of you vitamin D from sunlight. The amount in food is little.

So you have to stock up, for the year.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2012, 6:37 pm

In the Alaskan winter, as little as possible. [/jokes]

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

If you're talking about exercise, it's not the time spent outdoors, rather how heavily you exercise, which i do indoors btw.

I'd say an hour or two, MAYBE 3 if you're keeping EVERYTHING in shape.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Yes but you also produce most of you vitamin D from sunlight. The amount in food is little.

I take 2,000 to 4,000 units of vitamin D per day in the winter.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 5:09 am

eric76 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

I take 2,000 to 4,000 units of vitamin D per day in the winter.

Which unit? Sorry I'm being stickler there, it is just a bad habit to say 'units' of anything without specifying the unit. You are basically talking International Unit which is not a mass unit but is roughly equivalent to 50-100 micrograms in Vitamin D.

Hominoids survived without supplements for millions of years. Most people do no take vitamin D supplements, except given to some babies.

The body also syntheses it from cholesterol, in low light conditions. Not all animals can do this though, and different animals can get more Vitamin D from their diet.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

It's all a matter of preference, but I like to be outside a lot, and I get frustrated if weather or business forces me to be indoors too long. I'll even go outside and do some sort of work or play, if I have a terrible bug with fever. It makes me feel better!

Charles