Ever got accused of being autistic on Xbox Live?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ever got accused of being autistic on XBOX Live?
Diagnosed ASD - Yes 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Diagnosed ASD - No 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Undiagnosed ASD - Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Undiagnosed ASD - No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Neurotypical - Yes 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Neurotypical - No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2012, 11:40 am

Hey folks!

Out of a total of 6 years that I have had an Xbox Live account, people on XBOX Live who I have played with have accused me of being on the autism spectrum 3 times (once back in early 2008, once earlier this year, and once in the last month). In that 6-year duration, every time I got on XBOX Live and played with people, I have had some form of verbal communication with them. I am just wondering if any of the people here on Wrong Planet (besides me) who currently has an XBOX Live account and goes there on a regular basis ever got accused of being on the autism spectrum by anyone on there that they have played with. Sometimes, it seems like they are trolling me with this and other times they seem legit about it.

In the poll options, as you can probably guess, Neurotypical means non-ASD.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

How would this help you? You realize people on Xbox Live are as*holes right? Who cares if someone accused any of us of having autism. What are you going to say next time if you get the poll results you want? "Why yes, yes I do have autism!" They would only make fun of you more.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2012, 1:56 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
How would this help you? You realize people on Xbox Live are as*holes right? Who cares if someone accused any of us of having autism. What are you going to say next time if you get the poll results you want? "Why yes, yes I do have autism!" They would only make fun of you more.

I was well aware of the fact that a lot of people on XBOX Live are as*holes LONG before this poll was even made. I ran into plenty of them myself. But I have friends on there who are not as*holes to me at all. I was just curious if anyone here (besides me) have been in such situations. Besides, if you don't care, you always have the choice of ignoring this thread and moving on instead of feeling obligated to comment on this thread like you just did.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 4:21 am

No, people are normally too busy asking me if I'm a girl. I usually just like talking to people I know well. And calling people autistic is the new gamer insult. It doesn't mean they actually know anything about ASDs.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

x_amount_of_words wrote:
No, people are normally too busy asking me if I'm a girl. I usually just like talking to people I know well. And calling people autistic is the new gamer insult. It doesn't mean they actually know anything about ASDs.

Good for you that people aren't bombarding you with the "autistic" insult on XBOX Live :) . Yes, some of the people I have come across on XBOX Live who have used the "autistic" insult on me obviously come off as trolling and don't seem to know anything about them.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:17 am

No, most of the time people assume I'm either just stupid or really high, and they weren't always wrong. :P That said, I don't tend to talk to strangers much and usually just stay in parties with a group of friends I made playing Halo 3 back in either 2008 or 09 I think it was. When I first told them I was autistic(mostly since one of them has a sister who is autistic), they thought I was joking or trying to be offensive because that's how I usually am. They've come to believe me, though, and they don't seem to treat me any differently because of it so it's all good.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Rhinox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

I've been "accused" of being gay, being a basement dwelling loser, to being a drug addled product of incest. That said, no one has ever accused me of being autistic. I suppose the "yer ghey" label is more mean spirited to the guy who just kicked their ass.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 5:07 pm

No, but there was this guy named "AutisticPanda" whoI played with a few times. I finally got the nerve to plain out ask him "Hey AutisticPanda, are you Autistic?" and his response was simply, silence.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

And on all the MMOs I play. It's just the in thing now. My brothers girl friend uses it as an insult for just about everything.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
No, most of the time people assume I'm either just stupid or really high, and they weren't always wrong. :P

You're not alone. Back when I first got the XBOX 360 back in late 2006/early 2007, when I was playing multiplayer on the original Gears of War with people on XBOX Live, I received plenty of "Are you on crack?" type of questions due to the fact that at the time, I had a tendency to laugh for no reason at times since this usually took place at night and I was really tired from the school day.

Boxman108 wrote:
That said, I don't tend to talk to strangers much and usually just stay in parties with a group of friends I made playing Halo 3 back in either 2008 or 09 I think it was. When I first told them I was autistic(mostly since one of them has a sister who is autistic), they thought I was joking or trying to be offensive because that's how I usually am. They've come to believe me, though, and they don't seem to treat me any differently because of it so it's all good.

That's good to hear that they don't seem to treat you any differently even though that you revealed to them that you are autistic without them asking you at all.