Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm

Does anybody else on here have delusions because ive just started having them and i dont know how to describe them to my psychiatrist and I dont have a clue what they are gonna diagnose me with does anybody have a clue what it could be.

Thanks.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 1:56 pm

How do you know you're having delusions? If you know you're being delusional doesnt that make you not delusional? Do you mean you just feel paranoid?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:05 pm

To say, "I am not delusional" may itself be an expression of one's own delusional state.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:25 pm

Can you describe what is happening a little more clearly?

Delusional people often do not realise they are delusional - for example they may firmly believe in things that are not true or are impossible and will not be swayed from this belief. What beliefs do you have that you think may be delusional and why do you think that?

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 2:34 pm

well i believe that there are people out there that are after me to harvest my powers, and i realise that i am being delusional because someone said i was and so i researched it

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

well the doctors at my old hospital told me that i was being delusional, i also have to wear a hat to stop them from telepathically talking to me, i would describe them in more detail but i dont want to get banned

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I'm sure you won't get banned for discussing your delusions.

The things you say you believe certainly sound delusional. I think the most sensible thing to do would be to sit down with someone you trust and talk about the things you think about and believe and ask them to make suggestions about which are reasonable and which are not. You could then take a lit of your 'unreasonable beliefs' to your psychiatrist.

Do you know if you have been diagnosed with a specific mental disorder?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:57 pm

The last delusion that I can remember having began when my ex-wife said, "I love you".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

I havent diagnosed yet they are still doing some assessments and i cant see my psychiatrist till the new year

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

It's good that they are assessing you, it can take some time for doctors to make a diagnosis. If you can manage as you are until you see your psychiatrist then that would be ideal but if you become very distressed or feel urges to harm yourself or someone else then you should definitely go to the Emergency Dept of your nearest hospital.

Beyond that there is not a lot of advice that we can give you as we are not doctors.

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

thank you for the advice it helped

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 3:35 pm

If you are having delusions, then you should talk to a doctor and get on anti psychotics. That would be the best option. Do you also hear voices? Voices sound like an actual person sitting right beside you talking into your ears. But it can be in other rooms. It could be other places of you. Do you have an actual appointment? I know you said "next year" but in January. Delusions can be serious. There are several reasons to be having delusions, not just schizophrenia. I know I am not a doctor but how has your mood been? Do you have mood swings? Depression? I know if you are feeling the urge to harm yourself or others then you should go into the hospital now instead of waiting until next year for an appointment.

Also to answer your question, yes I have been delusional before. My delusions can be very bizarre such as thinking I am turning into a robot, a toxic cloud hitting a solar system far away and that there is only one way to stop it, people after me (I still believe that one but its not bothering me as much right now... just in the background), demons, aliens wanting me for an intergalactic war, things of that nature. Now I am scared I will get banned since it happened to you before. Are you sure that is the reason why you got banned? I have mentioned my "delusions" many times before and I never have been banned. I don't like calling them delusions because at the time it was very real. Also how I found out they were so called delusions is just like you, doctors and my parents had to tell me that I am having problems. Like you after I was first diagnosed, I did tons of research. Yes, delusions can be pretty bizarre. I mean if you check up "bizarre delusion" on Google you will see very bizarre delusions. Schizophrenia it is more typical to have bizarre delusions rather than non-bizarre delusions. For Bipolar 1 disorder, it is more common to have non-bizarre delusions but yes they can have bizarre delusions as well. In current criteria in the DSM IV, it is that if you have bizarre delusions and it affects your functioning then you would be diagnosed with schizophrenia if you don't have a mood component (if you have a mood component then its called schizoaffective disorder if psychosis occurs outside a mood episode or depression or bipolar with psychotic features if it only occurs inside a mood episode). But the DSM 5 is coming out next year and the criteria for schizophrenia changed. No longer are they using the bizarre delusion criteria. I have schizoaffective bipolar type. That is basically schizophrenia and bipolar together.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

Delusional thinking includes believing in things that can not be proven to be real.

Thus, are theists and deists delusional?

I think so.

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

I believe that there is German secret police out there that are after me and Jack (who is the man that lives inside me), my mood however is up and down one day i can be happy and cherpy but other days i can be depressed, i have to wait to see my care coordinator to make and appointment with my psychiatrist. I can also see the people that are after me but they keep telling me its in my head and its not real but i keep telling them that it is real.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 6:34 pm

When you talk about Jack and saying the man inside of you, is that a voice that you hear? You hear a man named Jack? Or is it literal? In bipolar disorder its not just simply mood going up one day and down the next. Sometimes in borderline personality disorder you have unstable moods as well and they are typically shorter than bipolar disorder moods. In bipolar the mood episodes are usually severe although it can happen less severely as well. But mild episodes of up and down is called "cyclothymia." Bipolar moods for mania last at least one week and it has to affect your daily functioning. There is hypomania which is shorter lasting but its still several days long. But still its different than simply being happy. Also the depressed mood must last at least 2 weeks and once again affecting functioning. If you spend all day in bed and not doing anything, that is affecting functioning. It is good that you are going to see a psychiatrist soon. How long has this been going on? How long are your up and down moods? Is it just a day? Seeing people coming after you is a visual hallucination. Visual hallucinations can happen in various conditions but for schizophrenia voices are more common than visual hallucinations. I do get both voices and visuals along with tactile and olfactory. That is unusual in schizophrenia and one of the ways I present differently.

Yelaspider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2012, 7:26 pm

its a voice i hear in my head and he lives inside me literally