Hinduism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Jewish 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No Religion 55%  55%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 58

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm

I sometimes pray, but I don't have any strong opinions about whether or not someone is listening. It's just a coping mechanism.

I don't think that anything "supernatural" has ever happened since the creation of the universe. Everything just follows the rules - I guess you could call them the "laws of physics", although I don't assume that we really understand them yet.

I do find it very strange that I have subjective experience, and I don't think I will ever get over how strange it is. But I don't think it's a basis for believing in an afterlife.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm

I'm religiously apathetic for the most part these days.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2012, 12:43 am

I consider myself agnostic: I don't believe there is any evidence to indicate that there is a god or gods, but I also don't believe I can state with certainty that there is no god and that everything can be explained by purely natural/scientific means.

I dislike many of the things religion does, such as encouraging hatred toward certain groups, placing restrictions on people for no good reason (for instance strict sexual and gender norms that do more harm than good), and interfering with science and free thought. All religions have members/sects that do these things and members/sects that don't. It's also hard because so many religions in practice are very different from their theory.

However, as long as religious people don't do any of the above, they're free to believe whatever they want. I don't believe that it's necessary to "disillusion" people or "convert them to atheism" or anything like that. My dad does--he thinks that people should be turned away from religion because it doesn't make sense, has no evidence and causes harm. But honestly, there are lots of things in our society that are like that--one that comes to mind is the idea that attractive people are better. I think something so integral to our society can't just be eliminated, though people should be able to stop being religious without repercussions, and I don't think it should be encouraged by the government or anything.

I'm an anthropology/archaeology major, and religion is crucial to understanding any society, including ours. I don't believe it makes sense or is correct, but I think it's so important and so ubiquitous that it should be treated with respect as long as it doesn't cause harm.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:50 am

Christian Protestant, but I've been thinking about joining the Catholic Church, and possibly I would have done that already were it not geographically a little difficult. There's more room for mystery in the Catholic Church, and I find this appealing to my mind.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 2:05 am

"other" isn't represented in the poll. However, my beliefs are as stated - They're forever evolving. I was born just a human, but I learned my name, and identity along the way. I was not born with the same identity then, as I will leave this world in the future. If you anchor your beliefs, you then anchor your ability to learn and adapt. You no longer are able to progress, but stay within your own paradigm. This goes for atheists too. I was born an agnostic, and then became Christian under the orders of my care-takers, my parents. As I grew older, my real beliefs evolved, specifically into paganism, then pantheism, and now they're completely separate. I would compare my beliefs now, as a secular humanist agnostic, that leans pantheist/panentheist. My personal beliefs may not be the same in a few years, because I'm open to evolution and when new knowledge becomes apparent, that's proven factual I'd always take into consideration.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 4:52 am

I am an Atheist, debate me!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:19 am

I don't do belief and faith.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:00 am

Alright, so I know I'm going to offend some people here, but I cant say it on another forum site, so I'll say it here where rules are less strict about religion.

My Mum said that I shouldn't be part of any religion that:

Tries to control people in some sort of way
Tries to restrict people in some sort of way
Tries to "convert" (Horrible term for it) people into one of them
Requires money
Requires people (Especially women) to dress in a certain way
Is somehow sexist
Is somehow racist
Is against people who want to marry someone of a different race or the same gender
Doesn't allow ANY fun

So basically, all of them, since each one seems to apply to at least one of the above.

Also, I know some of you will hate me for this, but some of this stuff you believe in ISN'T REAL!! ! So yes, they do make great stories, but with the world today, how could anyone honestly believe it's true?

This is why I see religion, especially religion forced onto religious people's children, as a kind of brainwashing. :evil:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

EnglishJess wrote:
Alright, so I know I'm going to offend some people here, but I cant say it on another forum site, so I'll say it here where rules are less strict about religion.

My Mum said that I shouldn't be part of any religion that:

Tries to control people in some sort of way
Tries to restrict people in some sort of way
Tries to "convert" (Horrible term for it) people into one of them
Requires money
Requires people (Especially women) to dress in a certain way
Is somehow sexist
Is somehow racist
Is against people who want to marry someone of a different race or the same gender
Doesn't allow ANY fun

So basically, all of them, since each one seems to apply to at least one of the above.

Also, I know some of you will hate me for this, but some of this stuff you believe in ISN'T REAL!! ! So yes, they do make great stories, but with the world today, how could anyone honestly believe it's true?

This is why I see religion, especially religion forced onto religious people's children, as a kind of brainwashing. :evil:

I think that this is where the distinction between 'religion' and 'faith' that Nambo and Fnord touched upon, kicks in.

My grandfather is very much a man of faith, considers himself Catholic, and draws much strength and wisdom from the Bible; however he never had much use for visiting church, nor does he place much value on the word of the Pope.

I think all the fantastic stories in Holy Books are meant to be taken symbolically rather than literally.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:24 am

I would think of the stories as teachings rather than true stories.

And it's how most of them are organized. All the rules and boundaries.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

I'd like to add that I haven't been forced into anything, I'm not brainwashed, I have never been converted into anything or from anything else. I've always been this way, ever since a kid. It was my older sister from whom I heard that there is such a thing as prayer. (Not that our parents had been somehow anti-religious; maybe they thought I was too young to hear things like that.)

When I grew up (well, I never grew up, just older), I got interested in Biblical exegesis, and this hobby (obsession you might say) has carried me through rough and smooth. And it is not my hobby that carries me, it is God. And I don't care a shít what you atheists and pagans have to say about it. It is true for me, that's all I know.

Growlithe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2012, 10:39 am

bump

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

atheist

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:49 am

Well, let me put it this way: People can be religious if they want to, but only if they want to.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

Atheist / Zen Buddhist.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2012, 12:46 pm

I'm a declared agnostic, but was raised as a moderate Christian (Methodist). My philosophy is that there's something we don't know, but I can't identify strictly with any of the organized faiths. Is it all an accident? I strongly doubt it. Is it a supreme intelligence or God? Probably something like that. Nobody is wrong for their faith, and I respect them all (and hope that those of strict faiths don't judge me for my beliefs or absence thereof).

Charles