Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SamanthaBlake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

on my bucket list of 100 things to do before i die i want to raise awarenees for aspergers specifically in women. i feel like women are severly underdiagnosed.and i have lost to many friends whom i have thought have as ,and they spiraled downwards and dint get the therapy/meds they needed.diagnosis has changed my life for the better and i want to help others. i was thinking of wearing as aspie pride t shirt.but i want to do more. what can i do?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm

Unfortunately the options are rather limited at the moment.
The reason it is so underdiagnosed in women, is that all the studies so far have been on men.
More recently, we had the first ever study on teenage girls - of which some very good things came out of it.

But we have yet to do a study on adult women with aspergers.
The way that is going to be most helpful, is by helping put together a study of women with aspergers.
Especially on the coping mechanisms that women use.

Of course that would be a massive undertaking. You would need to get academics, professionals and subjects (aspie women) on board with you first.
One of the biggest reasons they state that they haven't done one is that apparently "there are too few of us".
If you can find enough of them willign to participate in a study, then you can take that excuse straight out of their hands.

SamanthaBlake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

what would be my first step? should i make a petition.
i know a neurophysicist who scanned temple grandins brain, i could contact him?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

Probably first step is get a list of women who are willing to participate.
That way when you do bring it to someone, you give them something solid to work with.