Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

New York Magazine

Above is a link to "Geneticists to Study Adam Lanza's DNA."

I'm not sure what I think of this. It would be awful if discoveries were used to marginalize people who have not committed any crime; but on the other hand, progress could be made in treating mental disorders and illnesses.

I'm wondering what others think about this.

romarioL
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2012, 4:59 pm

Lebenunwerten leben ( do I wrote it right?) I think it causes only nazism , because among many people with the same characteristics only one will probably be a psicopath.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:10 pm

It reminds me of a story a biology lecturer related to us thirty years ago. When the relatively rare XYY chromosome combination was being studied (XX = female and XY = male) it was found those males with the extra Y chromosome were a lot more predisposed to aggressive behaviour and the proportion of prison inmates with XYY was much higher than in the general population. This lead to it being nicknamed the criminal chromosome. However, after more research was done over a few more years it was discovered that there was also a much higher than average ratio of XYY men in the armed forces and police force. :lol: The nickname "criminal chromosome" was quietly dropped.

In relation to the OP's article it may indicate a predisposition towards a certain type of behaviour but it could also negatively impact attitudes towards such people - how long before it gets labelled the "criminal gene combination" and such people become pushed outside of societal norms and possibly triggered into acting based on their genetic predisposition.

nathar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

it should be used to identify people who may have a problem with violence, when there young and then to give them lots of cancelling and what ever health care they need to not be violent. think if we did this there would be little violence in society.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

nathar wrote:
it should be used to identify people who may have a problem with violence, when there young and then to give them lots of cancelling and what ever health care they need to not be violent. think if we did this there would be little violence in society.

I think it might be better to give them counselling rather than cancel them! :lol:

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

In short: It is hogwash http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -of-genes/

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 7:59 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

We can't know what to do with the information we find. And we may misunderstand it. It could be misused, like it has been in the past.

TallyMan wrote:
... how long before it gets labelled the "criminal gene combination" and such people become pushed outside of societal norms and possibly triggered into acting based on their genetic predisposition.

People could become frustrated and start acting as they think their expected to based on their diagnosis.

nathar wrote:
it should be used to identify people who may have a problem with violence, when there young and then to give them lots of cancelling (counselling) and what ever health care they need to not be violent. think if we did this there would be little violence in society.

Hopefully this is what would happen, but there is still the possibility of misuse and unexpected negative consequences.

I suppose the DNA is already being studied, so we'll find out what impact this has in time. I just hope that the scientists don't jump to hasty conclusions.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

The idea of a violence gene is about as ridiculous as a gay gene.

Scratch that...it's actually far more ridiculous than that and the idea of a gay gene is already pretty silly.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm

TallyMan wrote:
nathar wrote:

I think it might be better to give them counselling rather than cancel them! :lol:

But cancelling them would solve the problem!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm

Yeah... I'm never comfortable when people start falling back into the nazi mindset.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

^^^^^ Hitler called those with mental illness or differences "useless feeders".He then sent them on a train trip.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
The idea of a violence gene is about as ridiculous as a gay gene.

NYT Article: Gene Tied to Male Violence is Studied

Quote:
Scientists have identified a tiny genetic defect that appears to predispose some men toward aggression, impulsiveness and violence, a discovery that is likely to rekindle the harsh debate over the causes of criminal and abnormal behavior ... researchers from the Netherlands and the United States studied a large Dutch family with a history of erratic and often hostile behavior among some, but not all, males in the group. Those afflicted often react to the most mildly stressful occasions with aggressive outbursts, shouting at, cursing or assaulting the person they deem a threat. Intelligence Found Low

At other times, the men have committed arson, attempted rape and exposed themselves in public. In addition, their intelligence is on the low end of normal, with an average I.Q. of around 85 to 90.

The researchers have linked the abnormal behaviors to mutations in the gene responsible for the body's production of monoamine oxidase-a, an enzyme critical for breaking down chemicals that allow brain cells to communicate. The scientists do not yet know the exact mechanism of the disorder, but they propose that lacking the metabolic enzyme, the brains of afflicted men end up with excess deposits of potent signaling molecules like serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline. Those surplus neurotransmitters in turn stimulate erratic, often hostile conduct.

Confirmed by further studies, as reported in this PDF document...

Monoamine Oxidase A Gene (MAOA) Predicts Behavioral Aggression Following Provocation

Quote:
Monoamine oxidase A gene (MAOA) has earned the nickname ‘‘warrior gene’’ because it has been linked to aggression in observational and survey-based studies. However, no controlled experimental studies have tested whether the warrior gene actually drives behavioral manifestations of these tendencies. We report an experiment, synthesizing work in psychology and behavioral economics, which demonstrates that aggression occurs with greater intensity and frequency as provocation is experimentally manipulated upwards, especially among low activity MAOA (MAOA-L) subjects. In this study, subjects paid to punish those they believed had taken money from them by administering varying amounts of unpleasantly hot (spicy) sauce to their opponent. There is some evidence of a main effect for genotype and some evidence for a gene by environment interaction, such that MAOA is less associated with the occurrence of aggression in a low provocation condition, but significantly predicts such behavior in a high provocation situation. This new evidence for genetic influences on aggression and punishment behavior complicates characterizations of humans as ‘‘altruistic’’ punishers and supports theories of cooperation that propose mixed strategies in the population. It also suggests important implications for the role of individual variance in genetic factors contributing to everyday behaviors and decisions.

Scary, huh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm

^^^^Especially the part about the hot sauce.

I stuck a hot pepper in a friend's mouth when I was a kid,bet I've got that gene. :lol:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

Sane is only acceptable mental illness, as Karl Jung said, "Show me a sane man, and I will cure him."

No one lives up to their DNA, mostly they watch TV.

We have been building a felon DNA data base for years, it is stored in computers, and can be searched, and no felon pattern has shown up.

The worst thing about the worst evil, is they are just like the rest of us.

Looking for what is wrong killed the Autism DNA Project.

What do you compare it to?

Would a database of DNA culled from Doctorates, those granted a Patent, a Nobel Prize, be able to predict the future?

It seems the upside would produce more social good, and all of those things are common, compared to this being a big year for shooters, both of them.

Falling behind the rest of the world in Science and Math education is a much worse problem.

A road map of potential talents seems worth study.

Shooters are just rare. Unpredictable, and will stay that way.

A real database would include everyone, where their life performance is added in, and the children, and in a hundred years we might have something.

Currently we cannot afford it, it would be National Health Care, and we would have to borrow time on the Chinese Supercomputer to run the study.

We do not have a hundred years, as an economic, military, manufacturing, and education power, we have already slipped out of first place.

Perhaps this decline of Empire caused by misspending income on a war machine, rather than on schools, is the cause.

We cannot tax or cut our way out, the only way is to increase the economy, and we are in bad shape.

A social feeling that it is all hopeless causes many problems.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 2:56 am

Inventor wrote:
Sane is only acceptable mental illness, as Karl Jung said, "Show me a sane man, and I will cure him."

No one lives up to their DNA, mostly they watch TV.

We have been building a felon DNA data base for years, it is stored in computers, and can be searched, and no felon pattern has shown up.

The worst thing about the worst evil, is they are just like the rest of us.

Looking for what is wrong killed the Autism DNA Project.

What do you compare it to?

Would a database of DNA culled from Doctorates, those granted a Patent, a Nobel Prize, be able to predict the future?

When you talk about a felon DNA database, just what do you mean by that? Because sequencing the entire strand is something rare and expensive even today. Chromosome banding is cheap but doesn't tell you much. It's really most useful for proving that DNA evidence found at the scene isn't from a suspect. Even when it looks just like the suspect, it could just mean that it's someone in their family, or in some cases someone from the same tribe. Chromosome banding was what people were talking about 30 years ago in reference to DNA evidence. It provides a coarse, blurry view of who you are.

Services like "23andme" use genotyping chips that look for specific sequences - you have to know what you're looking for before you can look for it. And these services cost a few hundred bucks when they aren't running a special deal.

Wholesale full sequencing just isn't a reality right now. Not on any meaningful scale. It's even been shown that different genotyping chips make different common errors. This technology is really just starting to grow pubes.

In another 30 years when you can get the full sequence for as many people as you like on an economical basis, it will be easier to do this kind of comparative study, but you will still have to identify genes that you want to study because the vast majority of similarities in any population won't be meaningful for a given study. It won't be interesting to know that almost all autistics have normal sized lungs, for example.

But once you identify a meaningful sequence, yes, that sequence can predict the future to some extent. Aptitudes and tendencies, and physical realities. Caffeine is metabolized at different rates by different people depending on a particular gene, so so this could predict how likely it is that a person drinks coffee that isn't decaf after dinner for example.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 1:16 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
But once you identify a meaningful sequence, yes, that sequence can predict the future to some extent. Aptitudes and tendencies, and physical realities.

I wonder if one day people will be able to manipulate DNA say in utero. Parents may want to create a specific kind of person; or the state might.
Probably not in my lifetime, but it may be something future generations will consider. I wonder if it would make for a lot of happy well functioning people, or a distopian nightmare.