Do others consider you to be embarrassing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2012, 1:26 am

I don't care too much about what people think of me, unless it's my family, and even then I may or may not care. I don't always sit properly, I eat like a 2 year old and see no point in using a napkin until the end of the meal, I perfer to go places with my service dog, I do not think before I speak, I am rude, I forrget things and I talk loudly.
Every one in my family cares what people think. Even people they don't know and will never see again. They are embarrassed of me. I try to be good but its so hard! I don't know if it's hard for other people to be good when it doesn't come naturally but it is for me. I am always in trouble for doing somthing like that no matter how hard I try. And when I am in a bad mood all of it gets worse, I don't try as hard and then I get in trouble. Everyone eles in my family gets to have a bad day and be rude, just not me. So what if I slip up? So what if I have a bad day? It happens, I am 15 and normally I try really hard to not be such an embarrassment but it doesn't always go as planned. Anyone else have these issues?? :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 1:45 am

I don't know, I can't read their minds. Only my ex boyfriend told me he is embarrassed by things I do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 1:52 am

My mother says that I talk too loud in public.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 2:00 am

Hello.

People seem to be embarrassed to be associated with me, rather because I'm weird than because I'm rude. I don't know exactly why I'm seen as weird, but I can sense people are keeping a distance from me because they don't want to be seen as my friend or something. Now I can't be bothered to try not to be weird.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 2:38 am

Your family using value-words about behavior ("good" vs "bad") is really unsympathetic of them. They frankly sound a bit abusive.
You're so young, and still have so much growing up to do, it's going to be hard for you to know what you have to learn and change to grow as a human, and what is innate and doesn't need changing, and they're not helping.
And if you're an aspie they have to understand that we do things differently. Not necessarily better or worse.
Also OMFG have they never heard of puberty? Your brain is not fully developed yet and there are lots of hormones doing weird things to your mood that probably wont be an issue as you get older (unless you have an actual mood/hormone-disorder, and even then your family shouldn't shame you about it).

As for your question - of course there are actions (for everrrryone) that judgmental people are going to "find embarrassing". I don't willingly spend my time around those sort of people though. I don't willingly spend time around antagonistic people either, for whats it worth. There's a difference between hostile and direct communication (a line that's okay to pass but you have to know where it is first). If you really are rude, maybe change that? Or are you just describing being "improper"? And please don't be so hard on yourself.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 2:45 am

jk1 wrote:
Hello.

People seem to be embarrassed to be associated with me, rather because I'm weird than because I'm rude. I don't know exactly why I'm seen as weird, but I can sense people are keeping a distance from me because they don't want to be seen as my friend or something. Now I can't be bothered to try not to be weird.

You must be in a very limited environment for that to happen - when you get out of the microcosmos of that town/job/school you get another try at it. Maybe try somewhere more accepting of whatever it is that you think is weird about you.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 2:50 am

My parents aren't embarrassed to be seen with me out in public, but my 18 year old brother admits that he is. Even though he can drive, he will never take me anywhere because he cares a lot about appearances and thinks that I am a major deterrent from getting girls to talk to him.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Dec 2012, 2:52 am

I have no idea if anyone is embarrassed to be seen with me. I haven't asked, and no one has said anything.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2012, 3:36 am

Eh, not in general but I remember my older sister saying I was embarrassing to walk to school with because I'd skip sometimes (little did she know, it was often to annoy her). My ex-girlfriend often remarked that she was embarrassed to be seen with me because of my poor fashion sense but I suspect there were ulterior motives to these statements. I think I was a substantially greater liability as a kid, before I'd learned that talking loudly about someone's disability was considered inappropriate.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:09 am

No, nobody thinks I'm embarrassing to be with at all, which is why I get so upset and confused when I still get funny looks or laughed at by random people in public. People just find my grandmother embarrassing to be with because she has Alzheimer's and has now lost her self-awareness and other social sense.

I used to a little embarrassing when I was aged between 10 and 14. Well, not all the time, only when babies were screaming. It used to agitate me, and I wasn't afraid to show it. I remember once there was a baby crying in a restaurant, and I angrily stamped my feet and grabbed my hair as if I was trying to pull it out. My mum said nobody saw that, but when I think back, I do frown upon it. I remember a few times when I did embarrass myself from getting frustrated over a baby crying. I used to swear, not really loud but loud enough for people nearby to hear, and they did give me funny looks, and my mum felt like cringing (this was when I was about 12 or 13). But them giving me funny looks back then is understandable because I was doing something that could be considered embarrassing. Now I have more self-awareness and I don't do any of those things.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:18 am

My social skills are okay enough so that they're not embarrassing...but if I have a meltdown in public or if I talk too loud I'd imagine this embarrasses people a little, my main issue is with 'TMI' because to me nothing is embarrassing to talk about and sometimes I forget that there are certain things you should not say to other people or talk about.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

My mother, friends in the past, and others have thought me embarrassing.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

I don't consider myself to be embarrassing, though my parents and some classmates have told me that I embarrassed them in public.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

I'm sure my parents consider me embarrasing because I'm on disability, even though my mom helped me get on it.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

To this day, at age 30, I still walk on curbs as balance beams and sing out loud with my arms outstretched. I just can't care. I wouldn't want to be seen with me. But as long as I'm alone when I walk around, and feel no reason to impress the monkeys who notice me.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

I don't hang around with the sort of people who would be embarrassed by me.