How to get an assesment with no money!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 5:34 pm

I had a DX, right? I lived in PR at the time, doctor is long retired, no idea what her name as at this point. Mom is uncooperative. I talked to my gf and I want to pursue an assessment and hopefully get a DX again (this would be so helpful to finding help and resources).

I do not know how to go about it. Main problem I got no insurance, no job and no money. I have no idea how to find a doctor that will not charge me and who will also not disregard ASD as a cause. Been to free mental clinics in the past and all they do is tell me to take meds and try to force me into "just depression" or "stress", etc. They rarely have looked into what I have to say.

I had a doctor tell me what I thought I had was not as important as me taking my meds to cope. I really don't want psychotropics anymore. Last time I used them my hair fell out part-way, i slept too much and the sun was making my skin break out.

I need some help. Been searching on-line and gotten nothing.

I am from Shreveport, Louisiana.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

Vocational Rehab?

I've heard its an option. If they think it'd help you get a job to have a diagnosis, then they might help you get the diagnosis.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

Here vocational rehab (the stuff I have found) centers on rehabilitating drug addicts and people that got out of prison. -_-

Or people with real obvious disabilities.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 7:01 pm

volunteer for research..........they do free evaluations if you're willing to be a research subject.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

I will think about that.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

Wait...you had one? What happened to it?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 11:25 pm

EstherJ wrote:
Wait...you had one? What happened to it?

I am from Puerto Rico, had one when I was younger. My mother's doctor gave it to me (she was not mine because my mom never took me again). I was around . . . 12-13? Later on I also saw a neurologist, mom threw away the results the day she got them.

Her doctor has been retired for a while, mom threw away my papers she refuses to even talk to me about them, says I made the whole thing up she has never had anything but normal kids so . .. here I am, documentless.

Not to mention that I have gone to free clinics and gotten all kinds of crazy diagnosis stuff, that had nothing to do with what I wanted them to assess.

>,<

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 2:52 am

If you can track down the office(s) where your doctor and also the neurologist worked out of, they should still have copies of your paperwork on file or in storage, regardless if the physician who made the diagnosis has since retired. Call them, see what you can find out.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 3:41 am

Tuttle wrote:
Vocational Rehab?

I've heard its an option. If they think it'd help you get a job to have a diagnosis, then they might help you get the diagnosis.

Re Voc Rehab - The latest edition of the All About Autism Podcast has someone involved in Voc Rehab on it, this may be useful to the OP: http://allaboutautismpodcast.com/all-ab ... mployment/