Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 5:43 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Anyone from WP planning to attend?
I attended in 2007, 2008 & 2011. Crossed the Atlantic each time, just to get to Autreat.

Would have come again this year if I could.

I recommend Autreat to all Autistic Americans. Autreat lets you enjoy Autistic Space, as well as gain ideas on how to improve your quality of life throughout the year. Autreat is a great opportunity to meet like-minded Autistics from across America and Canada (and beyond), and discuss various ideas about developing and advancing the Autistic Community. The informal discussions, in the afternoons and evenings, are at least as valuable as the formal program. They have a relaxed, casual atmosphere about them.

Those of us who live on the east side of the Atlantic can save ourselves the transatlantic flight and go to Autscape, in the UK:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt201586.html

http://www.autscape.org/

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:33 am

DonkeyHotei wrote:
Personally, I'm often glad to be able to participate on autistic panels at NT conferences, but if you oppose the inverse, feel free to voice that in the Yahoo Group linked above. You will be listened to, regardless of what they finally decide on the matter.
I used to be perfectly OK with panels, as well. However, I have now learned that it's a power/status issue. Panels are okay when there's a conference going on and someone from a different profession is needed to advise on a related topic, because there is none or minimal power/status divide there. When it comes to autistic panels at NT conferences about autism, it's wrong because the whole conference is NTs speaking about autistics and then autistics can only speak if they're on a panel that is moderated by an NT. Imagine a conference about Black people organized by Caucasian scholars that has a panel of Black people where they speak about their experiences under the authority of a Caucasian person. Or imagine the same thing with women. When a majority group organizes a conference about a minority group and then gives them only a regulated voice, or chooses "token" people to represent an entire population, that is wrong.

Now, Autreat's NT panel is fair, in a way, because now the minority puts the majority representatives on a panel. The only problem with it now is that there are people at Autreat who are quite anti-NT and ask very inappropriate questions to the NTs on the panel, to push them to the lowest of the lows. I bet they're already uncomfortable with the whole panel thing, because they are basically being inspected for their NT-ness, a little bit like specimens in a zoo. If people cannot keep a peaceful and respectful atmosphere anymore, then the NT panel isn't functioning beneficially for the autistic community anymore, and it should therefore be removed, IMO.

I'll address it in the Yahoo group after I finish with my exams.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

I'lll ask my question again in a more detailed fashion...

Who on this board is thinking about going to Autreat 2013?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

been considering it but time at my job can be difficult to get around that time for vacation time.

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

MathGirl wrote:
When it comes to autistic panels at NT conferences about autism, it's wrong because the whole conference is NTs speaking about autistics and then autistics can only speak if they're on a panel that is moderated by an NT.
All the autistic panels at NT conferences about autism I've been on were moderated by autistics.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

DonkeyHotei wrote:
All the autistic panels at NT conferences about autism I've been on were moderated by autistics.
Interesting. Most of the ones I've been to (in the audience), with the exception of Temple Grandin's panel, have been moderated by NT professionals.

So, who else is planning to come to Autreat?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

MathGirl wrote:
So, who else is planning to come to Autreat?
Hi MathGirl. Do you remember how we danced together at Autreat 2011?
It was fun :-)

Sadly, threads about Autreat never raise much interest here on WP.
It has always been a mystery to me -
Surely spending a couple of days in an Autistic-run environment should appeal to most members of WP? Or am I missing something here?

Perhaps we do not manage to explain to WP's membership how reassuring, nice, unique, revolutionary and inspiring Autreat is?
If so, what do we need to do in order to explain it to WP's membership?
Put some video cameras at Autreat and broadcast it live to WP? (but the Planning Committee will not allow us to do that, because of privacy concerns)

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

KenG wrote:

Sadly, threads about Autreat never raise much interest here on WP.
It has always been a mystery to me -
Surely spending a couple of days in an Autistic-run environment should appeal to most members of WP? Or am I missing something here?

Perhaps we do not manage to explain to WP's membership how reassuring, nice, unique, revolutionary and inspiring Autreat is?
If so, what do we need to do in order to explain it to WP's membership?
Put some video cameras at Autreat and broadcast it live to WP? (but the Planning Committee will not allow us to do that, because of privacy concerns)

It is a good question. I wonder if it's a mixture of social anxiety issues, and the lack of experence on WP re: Autreat.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 10:43 am

Why was this thread moved from "General Autism Discussion" to "Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation"?

Autreat is a non-political, non-activist gathering of Autistics. Its purpose is to allow us to have fun together and learn from one another.
Some specific Autreat discussions may cover self-advocacy topics, but many other Autreat discussions cover general autism related subjects.

Surely Autistics who are interested in Autreat are not necessarily interested in politics, activism and media representation, right?

Why not leave this thread in the "General Autism Discussion" forum, where it seems to belong?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

I personally would second KenG's question. Should this be posted in "moderator attention"?

Lumpia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

I am hoping to go.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

I think events like this disrupt routines too much/are probably quite hectic. That's probably why these don't get much traction here ;p

Author/Writer

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2013, 7:57 pm

Apparently, there is a new thread on this:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt226674.html

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

Zodai wrote:
I think events like this disrupt routines too much/are probably quite hectic. That's probably why these don't get much traction here ;p

I'm not sure that's the issue...plenty of things discussed on WP disrupt routines. I'm sure Aspies take vacations once in a while, after all.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

KenG wrote:
Sadly, threads about Autreat never raise much interest here on WP. It has always been a mystery to me -
Poverty.
That would be my excuse. Thinking about Autreat is depressing because I can’t go. And I’m only a five-hour drive away.
It’s a big world. Really, really big. Probably for most people, getting there would be more expensive than being there.

I think the lack of interest might also have something to do with the inherent problem of herding cats.

Then there's mobility issues. Some people couldn't get there alone.
KenG wrote:
...Autreat is a non-political, non-activist gathering of Autistics....
Get real. Of course it’s political. Anyone who challenges the authority of the oppressor class is political.
A bunch of Autistics doing something without professional help? That’s downright heretical.
I agree that this thread belongs in the general forum, but to deny that Autreat is political is absurd.

Lumpia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2013, 7:34 am

If I don't go the reasoning will be of pecuniary origin.

A very real possibility FYI.