Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

My brother and I are both on the spectrum - I am a fast reader and he is slow and methodical.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

izzeme wrote:
i'm an extremely fast reader, i hav ebeen accused of only reading half the pages or simply flipping pages without reading before.
when the harry potter books were new, i read 2 of them per day, and i still know almost all of the story by rote...

Wow! I'm still on "OotP"...the first time around. :lol:

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

noxnocturne wrote:
I'm just curious...do you think that people with Asperger's Syndrome tend to read at a slower pace than NTs? I ask this because of my own experiences.

I read an immense amount, and typically anything I can get my hands on.

I probably spend anywhere from 500 to 800 dollars a year just buying books for my ipad, so I can read them.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:22 am

izzeme wrote:
i'm an extremely fast reader, i hav ebeen accused of only reading half the pages or simply flipping pages without reading before.
when the harry potter books were new, i read 2 of them per day, and i still know almost all of the story by rote...

How many times did you have to read them to memorize them like that?

Or is it simply a talent you have for retaining that kind of information on the first go?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:28 am

Generally very slow and unfocused, but an exciting read sometimes changes that drastically.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

I read fast; however, I do have problems with reading comprehension. I have to sometimes re-read things to understand it.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

I am an extremely slow reader. I get visually stuck on words and have trouble stringing words together to form sentences. When I am reading I have trouble keeping track of the start of a sentence (my mind wanders or the words don't fit together) so that by the end of a sentence I often need to re-read it to understand.

I use coloured filters for Irlen Syndrome on books and turn the contrast as low as it will go on the computer. These things have helped a lot with the visual issues, but I am still well below average reading speed. I have a terrible attention span and working memory, I think these are the biggest issues.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

I've been reading since I was 3, and I read very fast. I first read the Hobbit when I was 8, Lord of the Rings when I was 13, and somewhere between those ages I used to read a Nancy Drew novel every night. Until very recently I thought that was an aspie trait but apparently I'm just hyperlexic. I also remember much of what I read word-for-word and often find phrases or paragraphs I read years ago bursting into my head at strange times. I am also renowned among my circle of friends (both online and meatspace) for my ability to type and write very quickly and coherently even when "blind" drunk (by which I mean so drunk I can no longer make out the words on the screen without extreme effort).

Given the wide variety of responses in this thread, I would guess that reading ability is not related to AS. That surprises me, but probably only because words are such a huge part of my life and way of thinking and processing things that I never imagined they'd be separate from the other "defining" sort of characteristic I have (AS).

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2013, 3:41 am

I read very fast, I used to get into a lot of trouble at school as the teachers thought I was being smart and flipping through the pages or only reading a few lines. I actually got kicked out of English once

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 3:51 am

If the topic affects me and/or I am interested in it, I can read a book quite fast.
However, even then I need a certain level of silence otherwise I will end up rereading several sentences because I start to focus on noise or other distractions and forget where I was at. If it is noise, my eyes keep on reading and my mind is focusing on the noise with the result of getting lost. Nonetheless I was usually one of the first who was done reading texts that we had to read in school and waiting for others to finish so I could finally get my task... the teacher (referring to teachers in general here) usually asked "Are you done again?" but refused to give me the task before the others, that wasted time/waiting was boring. Nowadays most textsheets we get usually contain tasks so the teacher can sit back and browse some websites on his/her tablet or read something or whatever, so I can get to work immediately after being done. If it is group work, I will still have to wait for the others though. At least I can now just draw in class due to the "so what, they're almost adults" attitude of teachers without getting scolded or having my spiral note pad taken away from me. :hmph: Other times the teacher would just say "well, did you mark certain passages in the text?" and if I didn't, s/he forced me to do so, although I already processed and separated important and unimportant information in my mind in most cases... :x
Sometimes it can happen that if the topic is way too interesting, my eyes keep on reading but I start thinking about how this relates to that, why it is that way, what other theories could apply, etc. and then have to go back to where my mind left the book/text/article.