Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 5:34 pm

I wear my hair very very short. If it's longer than 2cm all over, it's too long, and out come the clippers...

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

I've worn a pixie cut for years. I don't think I'll ever grow it out again. I have really thick hair, and no aptitude for styling it, so when it's long it just overwhelms my face. And I absolutely cannot stand the feeling of hair in my eyes or falling across my face.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 6:08 pm

Spirochete wrote:
I've been considering "chopping" my hair for a while, into a pixie cut or something of similar length. My current shoulder-length hair is a major sensory issue for me- it gets caught in my collar, it itches to sleep on, and I'm always getting stray strands stuck to my arms and back. Also, for whatever reason, I seem to lack the coordination to style it properly- I always manage to come out looking like all the worst stereotypes of 80s hair styles (and I'm 21). Has anyone cut their hair this short? Is it easier to manage, and does it require less styling ability? I don't care if people find it attractive or not, I'm looking at it from a purely practical standpoint. I'm also thinking it would probably be safer, since I'm a science major. Thoughts?

I wear a pixie cut right now. I only use a gel when my hair is still wet. I can say it's easy to "control", despite my hair being curly. I'm sure it's easy to control because it's very short so I don't have curls right now.

It's a very comfortable hair style and it's very easy to maintain. It's a graceful style too.

I have the "this is so 80s" problem sometimes too :lol: Some days my hair looks great, but some other days it could perfectly be the hair of a gymnast from the Seoul Olympic Games.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 4:13 am

The bob is a good alternative to a pixi (http://beauty.about.com/od/shorthairsty ... obcuts.htm)
It is a WW1 haircut and was very hot in the 20s.

If short enough it is very low maintenance. I have very straight and fine hair, and it is impossible to make it "do" anything. I wash my hair every third day and let it dry. Never have to do anything but shake my head once in a while (no tangles). My hairdryer broke some months ago, so I don't even dry it.
Only a crewcut can be easier :)

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2013, 9:43 am

For many years I had a pixie hair cut. It's still a favorite of mine even though I am now looking for a change to something similar but definitely not the same short length.

Which brings me to the reason for me writing in this forum. My hair needs to be cut now but I am not really capable of verbalizing how I want my hair cut. I can envision it in my little autistic brain but I am not able to transfer that picture into the little brain of the person cutting my hair. Yes, I have pictures. So far I have only been able to find pictures which have only part of the cut. For instance 1 picture will have the bangs cut the way I like it. Another one will show the sides, and a third for the back. I don't think the hair stylists appreciate the effort I put in to find these pictures.

Besides I am really tired of checking the Internet for pictures. Especially when I don't get the results I had wanted.

Since moving to Kissimmee, FL I have been having my haircut at the Harmony Barbershop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World because I have a seasons pass. It's only $19 and when it's finished I have an amusement park right outside the door to enjoy afterwards. Besides that there is a place that sells wonderful pastries also on Main Street. I adore sweets. Especially lovely tasty pastries. :D 8)

Just wish that I didn't have to do all that homework for a ****** haircut! Why can't these hairdressers have the ability to read minds so that they would know what I want so that I won't be disappointed.

McCool
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

I first cut my hair short about a year and a half ago. I love it. I absolutely hated styling it and dealing with it when it was longer. I wasn't brave enough to cut it myself so I had my husband cut it for me the first time. It is so much easier. I now cut it myself with a number 8 (1") clipper guard about every 6 weeks. Once I have to start combing it, I know it is time for a haircut.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

I had a short bob for years. My face is too round to carry off a pixie. I'm growing it again though, and it's shoulder-length at the moment. I can't let it get too long, or it tangles to hell. I just don't have the money to afford a stylist at the moment who can keep my hair short the way I'd like it. Long hair is cheaper, and you look more feminine without having to wear makeup.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2013, 7:50 am

I like my hair that is short but still long enough to put in a small bun/pony tail.

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

I've had the "inverted bob" for awhile and last time I decided to keep the length and grow my hair out, I had long hair years ago and spent hours obsessing over split ends and cutting them out. Now that my hair is down around my shoulders again and I'm not used to it touching my shoulders, I am thinking about cutting it.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

aspiekelly wrote:
I've had the "inverted bob" for awhile and last time I decided to keep the length and grow my hair out, I had long hair years ago and spent hours obsessing over split ends and cutting them out. Now that my hair is down around my shoulders again and I'm not used to it touching my shoulders, I am thinking about cutting it.

What does an inverted bob look like?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

irene wrote:
aspiekelly wrote:

What does an inverted bob look like?

It's a cut that is longest at the front and graduates to a shorter length to the back nape of the neck.

Exhibit A:

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

Thanks for the info. :D

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

For me, I really can't go shorter than chin length I get called "sir" even if I'm wearing dangly earrings and makeup.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

I got a terrible haircut late last year. The only solution was to chop it all off and go for a pixie cut. OMG. I hate it. My husband hates it. My friends tried to make me feel better, but I know they didn't like it, either. The only people who liked it are women in their late 50's/early 60's, who thought it was "chic." Personally, I thought it made me look like a suburban housewife (in fact, I am a suburban housewife, but that does not mean I need to look like one). That look can work for some women, but it makes me miserable to have short hair.

It's finally grown out some (my hair grows very slowly), and I look less like a Romulan. (Black hair, very short, bangs, straight when cut short -- I looked like a Romulan.) The trick to a good cut is to find a stylist who knows how to cut your texture. I have very fine hair which is curly to wavy when it has any length to it -- an unusual combination. (Curly hair is usually thick and coarse.) I have plans to see a stylist who specializes in curly/wavy hair (she has curls herself). I'm not sure what I'll do -- the waves and curls are a fairly new thing, so my old favorite cuts (inverted bob, asymmetrical bob) don't work so well anymore. I hope she'll work with me to find a cut I like that doesn't require me straightening my hair!

Companion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

rahrah wrote:
I've had long and short hair. Having a good stylist who knows how to cut short hair for women is ESSENTIAL. The cut makes all the difference- either you will be cute and fashionable or you will have a 12-year old boy's hair cut. Do not skimp on the stylist, and make sure to ask if they know how to cut short hair for women!

Things that help: you will always need to wear jewelry and makeup. If you think you can go au naturale, no no no.

I totally agree with rahrah, and I speak with experience, ALWAYS wear makeup and jewelry, and, only get it if you are well past puberty.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2013, 7:20 am

Getting my hair cut is not something I look forward to. Too many times I found that it was cut too short. I can envision the style, but I am not able to explain it to the person cutting my hair. I have been able to find pictures of similiar styles, but nothing that is precisely what I am looking for.

Besides that I don't even know if it will work with my hair. Recently the ends in the back curl up. The hair on the sides conform to the shape of my ears.

Has anyone gone for a haircut and trusted the stylists to the point of allowing them to make the decision of choosing the cut?

Since moving to overly hot and sticky Kissimmee FL I have been getting my hair cut over at the barber shop in the Magic Kingdom on Main Street at Walt Disney World. It's only $20 for the cut, I have a seasons pass, and once the hair is cut I have an amusement park to enjoy. Actually there's 4 parks. And there's a place to buy wonderful pastries also on Main Street plus other places in the other parks. But is it the best place for a hair cut? I don't know at all.

Any suggestions?