Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spirochete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

I've been considering "chopping" my hair for a while, into a pixie cut or something of similar length. My current shoulder-length hair is a major sensory issue for me- it gets caught in my collar, it itches to sleep on, and I'm always getting stray strands stuck to my arms and back. Also, for whatever reason, I seem to lack the coordination to style it properly- I always manage to come out looking like all the worst stereotypes of 80s hair styles (and I'm 21). Has anyone cut their hair this short? Is it easier to manage, and does it require less styling ability? I don't care if people find it attractive or not, I'm looking at it from a purely practical standpoint. I'm also thinking it would probably be safer, since I'm a science major. Thoughts?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

I've worn my hair at various lengths. I find myself happiest with short hair, though. Less maintenance and less shampoo. :lol:

My hair never really caused sensory issues for me, though. I actually kind of liked the swishing sound it made when it was down at my waist. :D

helles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

I have short hair at the moment (http://www.wrongplanet.net/postx152302-7815-0.html)
Sometimes I just crop it to a few milimetres, sometimes it is long

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

Mine has been very short for years. It's a thousand times easier to deal with, and takes much less time to style.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

I have a pixie cut right now and I think it looks great. I was also worried about it sticking up everywhere, so I had a professional deal with it. It was very cheap and only took about 20 minutes, and it requires no styling on my part (I barely even have to comb it). It might be worth it it you're worried about looking too "eighties". Otherwise, remember that no matter how much you butcher your hair it will always grow back!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

My short hairstyle was a bit of a hassle for me because I don't have straight hair. Even at that length, it stuck out weirdly unless I styled it, and the point was to not need to style it. So if you have straight hair I think it would be great, and if you don't then it might be best to go as short as possible, as in, the really short type of pixie style rather than the ones with longer bits in places, if that makes sense.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

Oh yeah, if your hair is particularly wavy something like Audrey Tatou's haircut might work well?

rahrah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

I've had long and short hair. Having a good stylist who knows how to cut short hair for women is ESSENTIAL. The cut makes all the difference- either you will be cute and fashionable or you will have a 12-year old boy's hair cut. Do not skimp on the stylist, and make sure to ask if they know how to cut short hair for women!

To dispel a myth: short hair is not less maintenance. You have to do it every day. No just pulling it into a bun, or pony tail, or wash and wear.

To be clear: short hair is more fun to do in my opinion.

If you like men and are single, it will not help your chances with getting dates. I tell you this with considerable experience under my belt in regards to this. Things that help: you will always need to wear jewelry and makeup. If you think you can go au naturale, no no no.

If you get the hair cut on your neckline, it can be a little itchy and weird the first week or so,

meems
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:05 am

Short hair is much less maintenance for me. I chopped all my hair off a few months ago and I love it. I will probably let it all grow back out again but I am enjoying :it as is.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:03 am

I shaved my head once.
F*ck I looked good! :lol: (that wasn't the reason I did it though, I didn't realise that until it was too late)
I can tell you one thing: don't shave your head unless you want to be hit on non-stop by other women. That wasn't a problem for me (apart from the fact that most of them were underage) - but it might be for you.

Once it started growing back I had to deal with it at every length on the way. Generally that meant a good cut when it was still just fuzz, and mouse or gel when it was long enough to do "boys style".

I think my favourite was when it was long enough that it didn't touch my collar but had grown out enough to be fairly long - more surfer style (well it would have looked like that if my hair was straight).

While pixie style may appeal to you right now, it does mean less styling options. I found mine was easiest to deal with when it was long enough to be able to pull back with a hairband (just) - it's that stage where it is easy to take care of, easy to style in lots of different ways if you need to (for formal events, job interviews, dates, nights out, formal family stuff) - but also easy to get away without styling if you don't want to and still look good - nor is it long enough to actually annoy you. It also didn't make grandparents scared of me, impact on my job, cause men to avoid me, or women hit on me, - which was what happened when I shaved my head.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:34 am

Kjas wrote:
I shaved my head once.
F*ck I looked good! :lol: (that wasn't the reason I did it though, I didn't realise that until it was too late)
I can tell you one thing: don't shave your head unless you want to be hit on non-stop by other women. That wasn't a problem for me (apart from the fact that most of them were underage) - but it might be for you.

When I shaved my head, I still only got hit on by men. :?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

in the autumn, i got my hair cut from long to an asymmetrical bob thingy. it's about the same amount of maintenance, but i find it irritates me more at night because annoying hairs fall across my face and itch me. but at least it doesn't tangle. OP, in the science lab if you wear it long you can tie it back or wear a hair net, which may be safest of all.

i think i look at least 5 or 10 years older with shorter hair. i guess for me it is a more mature look.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

Probably an age thing.
I shaved it off when I was 18, but I have always looked younger. Sadly, I looked looked I was 14 at the time. This lead to 13 - 15 year old girls hitting on me quite consistently.
Especially before, during or after basketball matches. A shaved head, sunglasses and in full basketball uniform, I was very easy to confuse as a boy.
I can't count how many jailbait tried to get my number or give me theirs during that time. I literally had to ask: "You realise I am a girl, right?" to make them go away. (usually in a fit of giggles or really red in the face)

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

There are some women who rock short hair. Unfortunately my face just wasn't made for short hair, I look terrible with it.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Kjas wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Probably an age thing.
I shaved it off when I was 18, but I have always looked younger. Sadly, I looked looked I was 14 at the time. This lead to 13 - 15 year old girls hitting on me quite consistently.
Especially before, during or after basketball matches. A shaved head, sunglasses and in full basketball uniform, I was very easy to confuse as a boy.
I can't count how many jailbait tried to get my number or give me theirs during that time. I literally had to ask: "You realise I am a girl, right?" to make them go away. (usually in a fit of giggles or really red in the face)

Haha that's actually quite cute. I was 19, and I would have looked around 16 but I hung out mostly at alternative/metal clubs so I guess a shaved head wasn't too strange there (though I'm the only girl I can think of who had one). I have a womanly figure so that's was probably the telling sign as to my gender!

Sanctus wrote:
There are some women who rock short hair. Unfortunately my face just wasn't made for short hair, I look terrible with it.

Yeah I wouldn't go short short these days, my face isn't as thin as it used to be so I don't think it suits anymore :(

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 6:34 am

I've gotten my hair chopped off a few times. It wasn't bad but I could never get the style I had in mind whenever I got it done. The times it looked the best was when I was straight out of bed :P. My hair is best when it's either short or at least a few inches below my shoulders. Anything between that and it's a frizzy mess due to the lack of weight in it; I learned that when I got a graduated bob cut a few months ago. I contemplated getting out the no.5 hair clipper as soon as I woke up the next morning. For me it wasn't about how attractive/unattractive the (short) style was to others, I just craved for my hair to look tidy and presentable, something which my long hair wasn't (due to frizz and hair pulling regrowth).

The best thing to do IMO is to buy a couple of hair magazines or google like mad and pick out short styles you like. Even a buzzcut/crewcut can look good with the right face/head shape and a slender neck. To make it a bit more feminine you can wear nice dangly earrings etc.