Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

My husband and I (both have AS) just got a family membership at the YMCA. They seem to have a good inclusion program for our son (probably has classic autism - pending dx) in the childcare facility, and they insisted that if he's having any behavioral issues, they could get him an aide. I have high hopes that it'll work out with him so that we can get a break together.

Anyway...I'm not really sure what to do at the Y. We're not really athletic, but we're going to try. We both have an exercise orientation on Saturday so that we can learn how to use the equipment properly and what not. The hot tub and steam rooms are appealing to me, although I have no idea how to use a steam room. I'm assuming that someone there can clue me in. We're going to do swimming lessons with our son starting next week. He likes the water, so I think he'll enjoy it (if not, we'll drop out).

What else is there to do at the Y that is autism friendly? I'm hoping to find a nutritionist there that can give me some advice for trying a GFCF diet. Not sure if that might be hoping for too much or not.

If you're a member at the Y, or ever have been in the past, what do/did you do there?

Thanks!

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm

Working out has potential to improve cognitive and physical function. Start by jogging, once that becomes asked add resistance and weight. That's what I did, and I'm glad I stuck with it.
My sleep is better
My mood is elevated
I do better in school
yea
Most important, make sure what you're doing is something you enjoy.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

In my early twenties I used to go to the YMCA in England to do Jiu-Jitsu and Kung-Fu. Quite enjoyed it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

I lived in one about 20 years ago. I remember the tiny room well. It was in NY. I had an acoustic guitar which I barely played because I didn't like its sound - very stiff, thin and without resonance or body.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

I'm a Y member thanks to a huge discount I get through work. Other than the cranky old folks, I have been very pleased with all aspects of the experience. Presently, I do a routine of 25 min on the elliptical and 20 min in the pool usually 2-3 times a week. I HIGHLY recommend the Y to everyone. I also find the volunteers are extremely helpful and friendly and will do anything possible to help you. Best of luck!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

When I still lived in the Hollywood district in Portland, I walked down to the YMCA almost every day and just did a bunch of crafting sessions. :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

lady_katie wrote:
Has anyone joined the Y?

No, but I used to eat there often.

The pool was nice, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

i like to get my aerobic activity from walking outside, so i used the Y for the weight machines. a complete exercise program includes aerobic, weight training, balance training, and stretching. weight training builds muscle, which increase metabolism, so it helps us maintain a healthy body weight. it also helps prevent osteoporosis. i took some nutirtion classes there, too. these vary from Y to Y.