Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 10:52 pm

Does anyone get the flu shot and do you find you are extra sensitive? I had one a couple years ago and I had some after effects that I am told may be just anxiety. I am having a serious germ phobia and I am working myself up so badly - I am as scared of the flu as the flu shot - I don't get it often, but when I do I go down hard.

Sigh. :(

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm

I got mine today, but it really wasn't any big deal for me. Last year was different, though; I got dizzy and nauseated not long after I'd gotten it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:49 pm

i tend to go vasovagal when faced with a needle. :oops:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:00 am

Well, if you have a severe germ phobia, you should be much more worried about other patients in the clinic [and outside of such] than the needle itself (you know, the ones actually spreading influenza around). The needle won't give you influenza.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:10 am

The shot here contains mercury I hear, I don't drink my theromonitier so i don't get the shot. and I don't like needles and am spectical about its usefulness and other health effects long term. your choice though.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

Thanks, all! :D

Actually, I don't go to a clinic - I have a nice quiet pharmacy nearby and I talked to the pharmacist who told me when to come back and he will give me the shot ... I just get so worked up. I can get other shots fine - I am good with needles usually - not a problem - I don't know why this one freaks me so bad - and the flu freaks me out, too - argh!

I'm glad to hear Nox, that this one was better - I hate my memory sometimes - I completely relive how I felt, and my thoughts ... I wish I could shut my head off sometimes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:44 am

the powers that be need to make the needle-free version of the flushot more widely available.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 1:46 am

I'm not afraid of needles, but I'll likely never get a flu shot as I see it as pointless and potentially more harmful than helpful.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 5:49 am

Hello.

I hear that there have been a small number of cases of deaths from the flu shots, some kind of reaction to whatever is in the shot. I never take it because it sounds risky and scary. I don't catch the flu any way. But if you go down pretty badly from the flu, then you might benefit from the shot. It's a bit of a dilemma, isn't it?

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

It is a dilemma - and I can't afford to get sick like that because I will be back in classes and I have a hard enough time keeping pace.

Yeah - exactly the risks and benefits listed in the replies are what I am struggling with - the intellectual piece plus the sheer anxiety of both shot and flu. Thank you all because at least I can talk about it here - my family gets mad and/or makes fun of me. It helps just to be able to talk about it. Thank you.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

There is something in the US called the "FluMist", which essentially delivers a needleless, live-virus flu vaccine up your nose. Kind of unpleasant, but like I said, needleless. I've had it.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

Cool - I'll ask about the mist - a couple of you mentioned it - I think it is offered to kids here. That is my speed. I actually don't have a problem with needles themselves - it is the "stuff" of the flu shot - and not that I think I will get "flu" from it - I know better. I have such a sensitive system and have had such weird adverse reactions over the years to medication - it took just one symptomatic experience for me with this particular shot - I get boosters with zero side effects and anxiety for other illnesses - but I made an association and now it is "impressed" in me so it is hard to shake - does that make sense? It is when stuff gets in my blood stream and I can't just reverse it if it bothers me - maybe it is a lack of control thing ... I dunno. I am going to try to break this thought loop with distractions while I wait for my appointment ... again, I really appreciate all of you listening to me. LM

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:11 pm

For flus, I just take astragalus. Awesome Chinese herb. You can go from totally congested and messed up to like, having a mild cold with it. It's pretty amazing.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

Thank you - I wondered about herbs.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
Does anyone get the flu shot and do you find you are extra sensitive? I had one a couple years ago and I had some after effects that I am told may be just anxiety. I am having a serious germ phobia and I am working myself up so badly - I am as scared of the flu as the flu shot - I don't get it often, but when I do I go down hard.

Sigh. :(

Eversince I got the flu really bad about 35 years again, I make sure I get a flu shot. However, some folks do experience mild flu like symptoms for a few days. I know I do, but it beats being so sick that you miss work for a month. I got my flu and pneumonia shots at our local Walmart back in September. But, since 2009 I feel about doctors like you do about flu shots. I developed a phobia for doctors after the doctor I really liked passed away and got a knucklehead that was pill happy and would blow me off. I have a new doctor and because of this phobia I now have I don't know how I'm going to react.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

Oh, sorry to hear that Dirtdigger. I hope this is a good doctor for you.

So, can I ask you: some people feel sick for a few days after the shot? I read that it should be a day or two, and when it went over this time a couple days more I really worried.

Thank you.