Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:35 am

I have found it pretty hard to continue any task or even a thought because I have constant music in my head. Everyday, all damn day. On repeat. And listening to the song doesn't help me at all either. It just makes it even worse inside my head and I have the compulsion to listen to it seven eight nine times, even more.

What to do?

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:38 am

Is it a symptom of OCD perhaps? I have a diagnosis of OCD as well as AS and I have a lot of obsessive thoughts and what you described can be one of them for me sometimes.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2013, 2:50 am

Oh boy... I usually have music in my head in the morning, especially when I wake up early. It goes on while washing and dressing, especially.

But then I immerse myself in my daily activities and it fades away.

So perhaps you can try distracting yourself a little with something you enjoy before doing a task...

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:50 am

-Interview for a job
Music in my head

-Talking to my partner and sometimes about serious things
Music in my head

My god my head is a god damn radio. Writing this post listening to music, to stop music from running in my head. It's the only time music isn't going on in my head.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2013, 3:24 am

I actually work better when I'm listening to constant music, I find I focus better as I'm listening to something besides random noises

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2013, 3:38 am

What is it that your listening to? :P
I found if you get that song on loop in yer head, the best way is to really krank out said song to see if your brain is happy afterwards and leaves you alone for a bit :)

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:58 am

Entek wrote:
What is it that your listening to? :P
I found if you get that song on loop in yer head, the best way is to really krank out said song to see if your brain is happy afterwards and leaves you alone for a bit :)

All kinds it's not just one song and sometimes it's a song I haven't heard in ages.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2013, 4:12 am

My head is also a non-stop, bit and byte juke box. I'll even get one or two lines on repeat. There's no fighting it, except through meditation - which takes months to learn. But it works. You learn to make your brain STOP everything, and then the music goes away, too! Fine for bedtime. But while I'm at work? I just sing out loud. Neil Diamond, System of a Down, Reading Rainbow (theme song from the show) and any other odd piece of audio that pops out - I just sing it out loud. Why suffer alone?

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2013, 4:41 am

Yes non-stop radio here too and it is always the worst kind of songs that seem to get permanently ingrained too (currently Gloria Gaynor I will survive (WTF!) after hearing it in passing on some crappy TV show). I try to avoid anything with lyrics/singing in and just listen to experimental and/or instrumental electronic music as this is less likely to get stuck. Meditation helps too but doesn't seem to last long, maybe I need to meditate more often.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 4:59 am

chiastic_slide wrote:
Yes non-stop radio here too and it is always the worst kind of songs that seem to get permanently ingrained too (currently Gloria Gaynor I will survive (WTF!) after hearing it in passing on some crappy TV show). I try to avoid anything with lyrics/singing in and just listen to experimental and/or instrumental electronic music as this is less likely to get stuck. Meditation helps too but doesn't seem to last long, maybe I need to meditate more often.

I don't listen often to lyrical music, I like music. Instrumental, and trance, techno. And it's always just a few sounds that get stuck in my head.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

I can relate! One line or two, sometimes even less, on repeat. Music outside of my head or total quietness are the only ways to get it out of my head. It used to be worse, though; in late elementary school, sometimes I would get "stuck" on only a few notes! I had a bad day where a lot of noises were reminding me of music I had at home. It was bad.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 2:43 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
I have found it pretty hard to continue any task or even a thought because I have constant music in my head. Everyday, all damn day. On repeat. And listening to the song doesn't help me at all either. It just makes it even worse inside my head and I have the compulsion to listen to it seven eight nine times, even more.

What to do?

That could be a combination of OCD and Musical Ear Syndrome. I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist about it since it appears that it significantly interferes with your daily functioning.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

chssmstrjk wrote:
That could be a combination of OCD and Musical Ear Syndrome. I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist about it since it appears that it significantly interferes with your daily functioning.

I just, there is a time and plce for music in my head.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 9:33 pm

I sometimes have music in my head during the day, and almost always when I try to fall asleep. It's usually worst when everything else is quiet.

This is a symptom of ADHD, by the way.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm

knifegill wrote:
My head is also a non-stop, bit and byte juke box. I'll even get one or two lines on repeat. There's no fighting it, except through meditation - which takes months to learn. But it works. You learn to make your brain STOP everything, and then the music goes away, too! Fine for bedtime. But while I'm at work? I just sing out loud. Neil Diamond, System of a Down, Reading Rainbow (theme song from the show) and any other odd piece of audio that pops out - I just sing it out loud. Why suffer alone?

This is me exactly. I usually wake up with a particular song, and then it will morph into something else. I kept a running count of how many different songs stuck in my head one day, and I got six. And it can be anything -- something I heard recently, or someone will make a comment that reminds me of a song, and sometimes they just come out of thin air. It drives me nuts because most times it's not the whole song -- just a chorus or a few words or notes. Even weirder are scenes from movies and bits from standup comics get stuck in my head as well. I may replay the same scene or the same joke 50 times in the course of a day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 12:39 am

what has been earworming me, has been some chopin piano etude waltz that plays in fragments all day and night. i gotta find out what the name of that piece is before i go bonkers. it is in the key of A minor, and is slow and sad. :(

Last edited by auntblabby on 04 Jan 2013, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.