Connecticut town to hold violent video game return program

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Southington to hold violent video game return program (WFSB)

SOUTHINGTON, CT (WFSB) - A group of Southington community members is holding a violent video game return program in response to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown last month.

SouthingtonSOS said it will host the event on Jan. 12 at the Southington Drive-In on Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike from 9 a.m. until noon.

The town of Southington will have a trash bin there for the collection of the games, and anyone returning games will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation.

Are these people for real?! How many people do you think will take on this moral outrage seriously?

If I lived there, they'd have to prize my violent video games (none of which I own) out of my cold dead hands.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Well you could give them your old games for your old outdated consoles and get a free gift card for a new violent game.

Here's my old atari cartridges. Now give me a few gift cards.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

Cash__ wrote:
Here's my old atari cartridges.

Are they violent? Are you sure they're not collectable?

Perhaps they might want to make a few T&Cs. Having said that, I'm not sure the people responsible for checking what is what are actually savvy enough. You should probably mock up some really gory covers, just in case. ;)

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

We're likely to see many renditions of this tap dance over the next few weeks/months.

In spite of all the media chatter over the last 3 weeks, in spite of all the shock & outrage over Newtown, the unalterable fact is that here's going to be no legislation on gun control. Nothing. It's taken a while for that reality to set in, but even modest gun-control measures are politically impossible. The National Rifle Association is simply too powerful, & too many of our politicians either answer directly to them or are cowed by them. Gun control is a political loser in America & the entire political class knows it. Still, after an incident of this magnitude, there remains alot of pressure to "do something". But everyone knows our politicians are going to have to look elsewhere if they want to achieve anything. The parameters of the coming debate have already been set: we can focus on anything EXCEPT guns. Mental illness & violent video games are the easiest targets. It's ridiculous, but that's the way it's going to be. To paraphrase Sen. Chuck Schumer, it's kind of like declaring we're going to fight lung cancer & we're going to focus on all its causes except cigarettes.

Ever since the shooting, I've feared that this is where the conversation is headed. Already, the Very Serious People (in the media & the political establishment) have turned away from any discussion of gun control. Why, this isn't a gun crisis; it's a mental health crisis! They're telling us we need to reconsider deinstitutionalization & move back toward a more-coercive treatment regime. There is serious discussion of creating a national database of the "mentally ill", which would surely include people on the autism spectrum. The NRA was widely panned when it finally responded to the Newtown massacre by calling for arming teachers & putting armed guards in every school in America, whatever the cost. In essense, MORE guns. The arrogance, tone-deafness & extremism that the NRA displayed here were truly breathtaking, & it was refreshing to see the group so roundly condemned. But it's a safe bet that their proposals stand a better chance of enactment than any gun-control proposal, however modest.

And if their proposals are blocked, when the next massacre happens it will be the Democrats & the left who get the blame.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

Billybones wrote:
We're likely to see many renditions of this tap dance over the next few weeks/months.

Nobody say Child's Play 3! ;)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 12:17 am

Billybones wrote:

Quote:
Why, this isn't a gun crisis; it's a mental health crisis!

It’s not a gun crisis. There is no such thing as a gun crisis nor can there ever be. Are DUI fatalities a car crisis?
Mental health is more the crisis than any inanimate object but more so than that it’s a soft target crisis. By soft target I mean those insultingly absurd “gun free” zones. Gun free for everyone but the shooter is how it turns out and Sandy Hook is a painful example of this.

Does it take a genius to figure out that a gun free zone is THE place to go for carrying out a massacre?
Wouldn't they usually prefer someplace were they can mow down people without having to worry so much about being blindsided by an armed citizen?

Arm teachers? No, I don’t think anyone wants to just simply hand out pistols to them but for a teacher or other school employee that has a concealed carry permit I see no harm in allowing them to carry their own pistol on their person to work. Most won’t because, like you, they think guns are icky or whatever. Enough will, though, to make schools in general not so tempting of a target and that is the goal. For all practical purposes that’s the best and most un-intrusive defense that can be used.

Aside from this the violent video game turn in project is about as stupid as turning in silverware to prevent obesity.
:roll:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jan 2013, 12:40 am

$25 is a better return than I'd get from Gamestop

They get $25 gift card to local movie theater and we know there isn't any violence in movies.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

As stupid as turning in firearms.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 2:03 am

Damn if I was there I could raid the trash bin...there could be some fun games in there.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 3:53 am

Dillogic wrote:
As stupid as turning in firearms.

Charles Whitman spelled out rather well (even for the limeted level of mental health research of the day) how to start addressing the issue and instead our benevolent overlords gave us the 1968 gun control act, which in their minds was supposed to make it all better.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 7:38 am

At least one media outlet is reporting that the "violent video games" (whatever that means) will be burned.

Ummm....I really have to ask this here....is this some sort of parody? They did'nt even burn ET (buried under concrete as the story goes).

If this is actually a real concept, then I really don't know what to say. I thought this issue had gone away years ago.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 11:27 am

Burning them??now they can release toxic fumes,how stupid.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

Apparently, the proper response to any calamity is a dramatic display of retardation and scapegoating.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Burning them??now they can release toxic fumes,how stupid.

I wonder if they will be sticking around to watch them be burnt...then they'll get to breath all that nice stuff. Then maybe next they can burn all the books they don't like.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm

^^^^^^Lets call the E.P.A. on them!! !!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

What's next???Books that have a story with a gun or a picture of one??Then the D&D stuff,then water guns.,etc .......