Why does digestion issues seem more common in women?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

This may sound weird but I've heard more women complain about having IBS or other stomach issues than men. I have heard more female relatives of mine fart and burp more than I have the male relatives, and that is true. In fact, I have heard more women in general fart and burp in my life than I have men.

Also I know more women (relatives or friends) say a bit list of food they can't eat because it upsets their stomach, where as their husbands can eat anything and not have it upset their stomach at all. Also, this may sound a bit crude, but at the old people's home where I work I have heard more women fart (like when they get up) than I have men.

Even one of my female friends (who has a lot of male friends and relatives) commented that men don't seem to suffer with these stomach issues like herself and other women she knows does. I even know a lot (not all) older women who say that they can't drink alcohol any more like they used to because it makes them feel unwell, where as a lot of men I know of are still all right sitting at the pub drinking beer and still feel all right afterwards.

How come this is so? I mean, men and women all have the same digestive system, et cetera. Is it because women have more hormones? Or are more prone to depression and anxiety than me? Or maybe men do get all these things too as they get older but don't express it? Or what?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 8:33 pm

It probably comes down to expressing it or not.

In my family, there are multiple food issues that are genetic on my fathers side. We have issues with gluten, dairy, soy and potato to name the worst culprits - but there are others.

The men and women have problems in equal numbers. My father and my male cousin both never said a word: I didn't realise until some kids at school fed my cousin wedges and he threw up soon after that he must have had the same problems as me with potato - I didn't even think to warn him because I didn't know. My female cousin and I have been more direct about what we can or can't eat - we both refuse to eat things that make us feel sick. It leads people calling us picky fussy or difficult. That is simply not true - it's not a matter of not liking the food, in fact often we love it. It's just that it makes us sick enough that it's not worth eating it due to the pain and aftereffects.

The difference is my father and my male cousin never were open about it. They would avoid eating out where possible and just eat at home. Or pick off anything they knew would affect them to badly if they were in public. The only things they would avoid were the very worst ones - not all of them. Essentially it's still there but they don't let people know and certainly don't express it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 8:29 am

Easy answer, menstruation. That crap takes your digestive tract for a spin while your cramping up. One time I got really sick from taking antibiotics and had to go on a low residue diet for a month and then my cycle threw me back to square one after 3 days of moderate to violent cramps. It ended up taking 2 whole months before my digestive tract was right again. I don't have any kind of issues there but antibiotics are really dangerous o-o

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

Joe90 wrote:
This may sound weird, but I've heard more women complain ...
I think that says it all right there.

Men are repressed. We're told from infancy to not complain, cry, whine, or otherwise draw attention to our suffering. Then we die about five to ten years sooner than women.

That's life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 6:34 am

Fnord wrote:
]I think that says it all right there.

Men are repressed. We're told from infancy to not complain, cry, whine, or otherwise draw attention to our suffering. Then we die about five to ten years sooner than women.

That's life.

That's a good way of putting it. In my family, men and women have the same problems equally, but the old double standard means that men are seen as 'whining' when they try to talk about it. Therefore, they don't. Same reason with more women seem to have anxiety or depression.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 6:40 am

I agree that men and women seem to have the same frequency of disorders.

Men who complain are not only seen as weak by people in general, but they're seen as unattractive by women who desire only the "strong and silent" type of man.

Not many women at all are attracted to men who complain, cry, whine, or otherwise draw attention to their suffering.

But let a woman shed a single tear, and she'll be surrounded by men and women who are all only too eager to comfort her.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

I have well managed IBS.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 9:12 am

try kombucha :D That helps make your insides very happy (:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:39 pm

Probiotics can help.

You don't need expensive ones either.

Digestive Advantage is good. Nowadays I just eat Alpro soya yogurts.

If you eat too much probiotics you will get a bit bloated, however for reducing the effects IBS it is worth it.

Don't believe what some say about many enzyme products. First enzymes are naturally produced in the body, secondly enzymes in food will mostly get destroyed in the stomoch.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 8:21 pm

I have had digestive difficulties all my life, and sometimes it seems like I can barely eat anything without upsetting my tummy. :(

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

BluSun
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2016, 7:18 pm

green0star wrote:
try kombucha :D That helps make your insides very happy (:

Yay kombucha is very good, and yogurt and probiotics. I have IBS. I just got it under control recently.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 6:49 pm

Regarding the premise of the thread. I'm not convinced yet, I haven't seen evidence enough either way.

Lots of thing seem more prevalent, perception is not the same thing as reality. People often perceive crime levels to be higher than it is. This is a well known phenomenon.

There is certain thing like UTIs where there are anatomical reasons for a possible prevalence. Also perhaps certain biochemical reason might lean to specific causes.

I think with IBS, thing try are diet related obviously. Eat healthily and balanced but figure out what combination make thing worse.

I find eating too much of a mix of foods, in quick succession is a bad idea. Fruit juice and carbs or nuts avoid together. Abrasive foods avoid (even gluten free product like dry crackers).

Cutting out gluten has helped no end. I used to wake up practically drowning is pool of bile with adrenaline shooting up my arms.

Probiotic have made a big differnce. Again don't be fooled by expensive ones making big claims. This is more for lasting effect.

Peppermint pills are hit an miss not really worth it. They have release in the right place which is unlikely (the pills are designed not to release in the stomach but gut).

Fennel seeds can be good. You can have a fennel tea or in pills. This is more for settling.

Ginger is great for thing like nausea, if you get this.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 7:02 pm

IMO IBS can be caused by an area of the gut having some type of bacteria killed of or depleted.

We need bacteria to survive, there is

The lining of the gut/Mucosa can be quite sensitive and I think that gut bacteria play a role in coating an protecting it.

The gut not not only has nerve endings, but also neurons. Yes there that right. The gut is autonomic, so we have a brain of sorts in out gut, our actual brain plays a role too. However if the vagus nerve is severed the enteric nervous system continues to function.

IBS can also be precursor to serous things like cancer, so always worth going to a doctor with any changes.

In this case the prevalence is slightly more with men, but can affect either sex.