Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

My skin has recently become very sensitive, especially in the face. My cheeks often look red and flushed and feel very dry, almost raspy, as does the skin between my eyebrows. It's worse after taking a shower. I constantly use moisturizer and cleanser especially for sensitive skin, but it doesn't help much. I also get itching red spots on my chest or legs sometimes.

Is your skin sensitive? What can I do about it?

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 9:09 pm

i cold iget itchy skin. i also get itchy from showering but i load up the bar of soap

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 1:27 am

Are you using the regular supermarket stuff? Because that could be your problem. You might want to consult a dermatologist.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jan 2013, 1:33 am

You could be allergic to something. If I use scented products on my skin too much, I feel irritated and have similar symptoms.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 9:18 am

I would try Vanicream. You might be able to find it at a Walgreens if you have one near you. Or you may a dermatologist prescription. It has no scent and its very good for dry itchy skin. Dad uses it and gave me a container and it can last a good two months or so. Eucerin is also good too.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 3:40 pm

It's very possible that you're allergic to something in one of the products you're using to try to ease the problem. I'm allergic to parabens, which is a fairly common allergy, and standard moisturisers are full of them. They will make my skin go as you describe. I was even burning in very little sunlight, when using high factor sun screen, when I never used to burn much before. Nearly all standard sun screens contain parabens.

I had allergy testing and I would never have guessed the culprit was parabens. I'm actually alleric to derivatives of benzoic acid, which includes a range of preservatives found in soft drinkks, as well as the parabens in cosmetics. It might be worthwhile asking your doc for tests. I had to completely change all the products that I used, as everything I was using contained either methylparaben or ethylparaben or another paraben or, more likely, a combination of them.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

Your skin is the largest organ on your body. If you are intoxicated (full of toxins) your body will elliminate them through various outlets, your skin being one of them (hence the sensitivies, eczema..). They also exit the body via blood and urine. The trick is to minimize the toxins entering your body while increasing healthy bacteria.

Hermes9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

Have you changed your diet? If you have... It wasn't for the better.

Staying Hydrated? Make sure you're getting plenty of water.

Be very careful with commercially available skin products. Most do more damage than good, since they're loaded with artificial chemicals. Stick with the simple stuff. It often costs a little more but totally worth it.

What about laundry... Have you changed detergents? Try a detergent meant for babies, like Dreft or similar.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

I was born with sensitive skin and eczema. If I use soaps, body washes, gels, and laundry detergents that contain perfumes and harsh chemicals, they will make my skin very itchy and bumpy. I can't use Axe or Irish Spring products.

So I have to use Dove "Sensitive Skin" soap and Tide "Free and Gentle" detergents to prevent the itchiness and bumpiness on my skin. If my skin and hands feels dry and itchy, I use Cetaphil lotion and anti-itch creams and ointments that my doctor prescribed me.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

I have very sensitive skin. Try to stay away from scented soaps and perfumes. Use really good skin cream meant for sensitive skin. You can even go to the doctor and they'll prescribe you special cream if need be. Only wear real/hypoallergenic jewlery.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:47 am

I have sensitive skin as well... I've noticed a huge different for the positive in my skin after I started favoring organic, paraben and scent free products, though. I also make some of my lotions and facial masks myself nowadays using mainly natural oils and other organic ingredients that you can find from your nearby grocery store or organic shops.

Kiehl's has actually a very good range of different skin and hair care products that are mainly organic and scent/paraben free. I've found a dead sea minerals based label called Gratiae to be a very good one. I've also found a lot of great hints and recipies from a blog called http://www.dhukai.com/diy-tutorials-and-remedies/ . I hope this helps...

Other than that, are you sure you aren't allergic to anything else that you are in contact with? It's also good not to shower daily nor try to overdo your caring routines.

Good luck :)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

Sanctus wrote:
My skin has recently become very sensitive, especially in the face. My cheeks often look red and flushed and feel very dry, almost raspy, as does the skin between my eyebrows. It's worse after taking a shower. I constantly use moisturizer and cleanser especially for sensitive skin, but it doesn't help much. I also get itching red spots on my chest or legs sometimes.

my skin is like this because of a sun allergy. a sun allergy (technically called Polymorphous Light Eruption or PMLE) usually shows up on the chest and face first, because those 2 areas get the most sunlight. if you try wearing very strong sunblock (especially designed for babies as they tend to be free of allergens and impurities), you'll see if the problem clears up - and then you have your answer.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm

I don't have hypersensitive skin, but to some things yes. Certain trees/plants have caused instant rashes - especially a yellow cedar, once.

As for allergies to soap/cosmetic ingredients, I know I'm sensitive to salicylate acids so I avoid the organic plant derived stuff completely and use dove sensitive skin bar soap & skin products that don't contain any plant ingredients as much as possible. I've switched my shampoo to huggies sensitive baby shampoo, and my deodorant to one of those salt crystal ones, and my toothpaste to just baking soda & water.

Sun allergy, not exactly - but I did have a photosensitive rash after a reaction to taking Arnica pellets & then taking a tincture of Echinacea, which is in the same sunflower family, and my body reacted to the Echinacea as if it were more and more Arnica and I ended up with a photosensitive rash that would appear anywhere on my body that sunlight touched. I had to live like a vampire for about 2 weeks, hiding from the sun so completely that as the day wore and the light coming through the skylight shifted around the room I had to move so as not to get hit by light. On the few times I ventured outside during the day, if the sun was bright it would cause a blistered rash with less than a minute's exposure. That sucked.

Others in my extended family have much more sensitive skin to fragrances, colours, acids, probably other things they don't know about.

Ziddy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2013, 1:00 pm

Sanctus wrote:

I have had some of the same problems with my skin.. I use YESTO cucumber to my skin - you can get it for your face, body and hair - it works really good for me..

Otherwise I eat very healthy and some as the weather gets a bit warm, i take cool bath - it's helps on the itch.

virtue_hearts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2013, 2:06 am

Could be a reaction to the soaps in your towels.... I need to use about 30% of the recommended amount of detergents when washing my cloths, and double rinse my sheets and blankets and pillow cases & towels. or i get itchy & sometimes rashes or redness, especially my face... or my face goes all red like you described.

also for washing i gotta use unscented soaps. due to my sensitive skin.

Madeline
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2013, 8:08 am

My skin is ridiculously sensitive. My doctor blames in on something autoimmune and has told me to either stay out of the sun or wear long sleeves, a giant hat, and carry a parasol (which looks cool, let me tell you). Stress really aggravates the issue.

I've heard coconut oil (taken internally as well as applied externally) is supposed to be nourishing and soothing for the skin.

Good luck to you!