Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Now I will stop doing my normal activities (things like scanning documents, organizing files and paying bills) and start working on accountancy, which is the profession I studied for.

However, there may be a catch. A little background information:

I did not go to university; instead, I studied at a "escola técnica" (translation: technical school; in other words, vocational education). It only lasts 1,5 year and it is focused on practical skills. My manager has been telling me for a few months that I should enroll in a college. I enrolled in one of the best universities in Brazil a few months ago (just because I could; the government would lend me the money anyway 8) ), but since I was never really interested in going back to school for four more years (I never liked school: too many people and too many useless activities, not to mention my tendency to self-teach and ignore the homework; it is just a reminder of how weird I am), I dropped out after 2 months, before the course even began (it would begin only on February).

Anyway, I was talking about the catch. The catch is: when she told me of my promotion, she asked about my university enrollment and I told her I cancelled it. She was not too happy, but did not insist. However, she said this new job I will start is intended to be a transition to another promotion; one year from now, I will hopefully be working on higher education and getting another promotion. Which implies that I will only get another promotion if I go to college. Which I really do not want. For now, I will just concentrate on my new job and see if I can do one of the following:

1 - Convince myself that university is not so bad (even though Bill Freaking Gates only became who he is because he dropped out and followed his dreams);

2 - convince her that I am competent enough to do my job without wasting four years studying.

Obviously, the latter is the best outcome for me. And not at all impossible: some of your might remember this topic I started months ago, while I was still new at my job. As you can see, despite my obvious eccentricity, I got a pay raise and now, a promotion. Also, although I did not mention it before, in the last few months I was getting increasingly important tasks, like managing the fees of the services we provided (in other words, the income of the company was my responsability) and being trained to do the job that I will supposedly get next year (in which, according to my mentor, I was doing a great job).

As for my previous reservations about everybody noticing my weirdness... That did not change. Now that my co-workers are more familiar with me, they joke about it frequently, just as my classmates did during my last year in school. It is not meant to offend and I even play along, but as I mentioned on my previous topic, it always happens and I wish I could go through a social situation for once without my eccentricity being immediatelly obvious.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

Cool! Can I borrow 10 bucks?

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

^ :lol:

OK, but due to the monthly nature of my wage, I will only receive the raise on next month. Does that mean I will have to pay interest fees? :P

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 4:02 pm

congrats!