I have to be the robot that they want me to be.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

So now I am in a position where I have to relearn to hold my tongue and keep my opinions to myself while on the job.........Ok well I know that I will not get anywhere professionally if I don't. Having a politicians skill ensures that I can excel in the art of BS. I reluctantly accept this fact as truth. So today when I go into work I will not be me. I will be the smiling happy robot that I have to be until I am able to quit this job and get another.

"People just refuse to be realisitc. They don't like to be realisitc they would rather stroke themselves." (George Carlin)

"Did you know that there is just enough BS to hold this country together. BS is the glue which binds us a nation." (George Carlin)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

Isn't that horrible? You have to smile and suck up to the boss just for a freaking paycheck to pay the rent. I know the feeling.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

Well yeah.

It completely sucks but that is (an unwritten) part of what they're paying you for.

Just make sure you don't end up doing it for your health when you're not getting paid.

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

Both of you are on the money.

mereexistence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

When I decided to escalate my career, I did the same thing... this was before I knew I was Autistic. I consciously devised all of the personality and behavioral traits that would make my job secure and help me to excel in the environment, then I took on that persona while I was at work. It was a lot of effort and it was like I was running a program to uphold appearances, but they promoted me like crazy. I fully became a robot and dropped the concept of "me" at work entirely. It's now second nature, but it's still exhausting.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

What exactly do you want to do at work? Run around crazy? b***h about stuff all day? Be doom and gloom?