Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:03 am

I've recently signed back up to the gym, and am in the 'difficult' stage at the beginning when it's hard. However, I know that if I push through I will begin to feel the mental health benefits I felt before.
Does anyone else find that regular exercise makes them feel more awake/alive, happier, less anxious? That seems to be the effect I find.

Verso
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

Yes, I've found that exercise is even more important than diet in helping to stabilize my mood. A couple of tactics I use fairly successfully are to start exercising before asking myself whether I really feel up to it and then, once I've established a pattern, to rely on my need for a regular routine to keep me going. :)

Hermes9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

Increased energy level: Ups your metabolism
Heightened self-confidence: Because you feel better and look better
Reduced stress: Exercise naturally helps you unwind / blow off steam

Remember to mix cardio and strength training for best results :)

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

I can't live without exercising. And regardless of my current physical condition and weight, the more I exercise the better I feel. Its all about the feel good chemicals caused by exercising.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:18 am

I find exercise is the easiest way for me to deal with anxiety, stress or depression. It usually results in better sleep too and hugely increased energy levels. I walk my dog 3 hours every day for about 10-15k and I do a core strength and weight routine for about 30 mins to an hour. I would join a gym but I would find the environment too loud and stimulating for me to enjoy the experience. I'm lucky that I have a great dog and a great area for walking very close to where I live. I have tried jogging or running but I usually injure myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:33 am

regular exercise seems to have made my thinking clearer. :idea:

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

Alycat wrote:
Does anyone else find that regular exercise makes them feel more awake/alive, happier, less anxious? That seems to be the effect I find.

Regular exercise upregulates dopamine receptors, making the brain more sensitive to circulating dopamine. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that causes those good feelings. Yay exercise!

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 11:48 pm

corroonb wrote:
I find exercise is the easiest way for me to deal with anxiety, stress or depression. It usually results in better sleep too and hugely increased energy levels. I walk my dog 3 hours every day for about 10-15k and I do a core strength and weight routine for about 30 mins to an hour. I would join a gym but I would find the environment too loud and stimulating for me to enjoy the experience. I'm lucky that I have a great dog and a great area for walking very close to where I live. I have tried jogging or running but I usually injure myself.
Dogs are so great for exercise. I trained my dog to run beside me while I bike and we race down the path. He can maintain 23+mph for quite a while. I'm usually more winded than he is.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2013, 5:45 am

I run or swim when I can. In general, it helps me get out that extra energy and be more focused on things when I want to. So like an ADHD med that I control within my brain, and has no negative side effects, except for when I get knee issues from running. That and exercise, running most of all, just plain makes me feel happy.