Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jillysue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

Ok, I haven't been on here in like 2 years. Son dx with Aspergers and ADHD in Feb. 2010. Took him out of private school due to bullying. Homeschool him now and make sure he has several options for socialization with other children. He loves to make friends. Anyway, he was not near as symptomatic after starting homeschool, but now we are having trouble with excessive arguing and emotional lability in general. He has also started to "hear" voices. Have since restarted psychotherapy. Having some tests done. I just wondered if anyone out there can identify with this arguing and not understanding my or my husbands point. Maybe I sound stupid for even asking. Maybe it is a foregone conclusion that all goes hand in hand, but I could really use some feedback. He's 10.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

O'course he is gonna argue.

Chances are he has spotted inconsistencies between his own understanding and information presented to him, and requires clarification in this regard... Chances are it escalates to arguing because the need for clarification is being dismissed or otherwise met with obstruction.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

My seven year old does this, partly it's down to a different understanding of things (perhaps taken something very literally) and partly it's down to obsessive style of thinking. It's just one of those difficult things you have to deal with. Distraction might work, although your son is a bit older than my daughter so maybe not.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 12:03 am

Jillysue wrote:
Ok, I haven't been on here in like 2 years. Son dx with Aspergers and ADHD in Feb. 2010. Took him out of private school due to bullying. Homeschool him now and make sure he has several options for socialization with other children. He loves to make friends. Anyway, he was not near as symptomatic after starting homeschool, but now we are having trouble with excessive arguing and emotional lability in general. He has also started to "hear" voices. Have since restarted psychotherapy. Having some tests done. I just wondered if anyone out there can identify with this arguing and not understanding my or my husbands point. Maybe I sound stupid for even asking. Maybe it is a foregone conclusion that all goes hand in hand, but I could really use some feedback. He's 10.

Is there another school nearby that is specialized in Autism that you could put him in?
As for hearing voices, childhood schizophrenia is very rare especially hearing voices. Does he tell you what the voices say?
At what point did his symptoms start? (Excessive arguing, emotional lability, voices)?

Did your family have any big changes lately or incidents that may have upset his balance? When he first started the homeschooling he wasn't showing as many symptoms as before?

Since he loves making friends, has anything about his social routines changed?
My concern would be the hearing voices... it is very rare in children of his age 10 yrs. It could be that is his "own" way of dealing with stress, yet best to get it checked out.

Jillysue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Am having him evaluated by psychologist that specializes is spectrum disorders regarding the voices. Have not had any significant changes as of late. There is no school other than regular public and he would be eaten alive.