Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jedi999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

Does anyone here play any Tabletop role-playing games? If so, what game(s) do you play? I've been exploring the idea of playing Dungeons & Dragons, and want to get a feel for what the whole medium is about. Thoughts?

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

I want to get into Warhammer 40k.

OMGitsKenny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 3:50 pm

I play tabletop games frequently, usually offshoots of DnD. Quite fun actually

Jedi999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2013, 9:58 pm

Arkio wrote:

A sci-fi backdrop sounds interesting. Luckily, the book store I patronize has an absurdly large collection of books on Warhammer. However, this makes actually learning the rules seem all the more daunting.

OMGitsKenny wrote:

Cool. Any recommendations/advice?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

I have not played any in a long time, but I have enjoyed quite a few:

The World of Darkness (Old)
Exalted
Adventure-Aberrant-Trinity (Aeon)
AD&D and D&D through third edition
Fading Suns
Shadowrun
WEG and WotC's Star Wars RPGs
Any superhero-related game. Current favorite is Mutants & Masterminds 3e, although BASH also looks good
Scion

I am blanking on others.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2013, 11:06 pm

I would say the medium is primarily about getting together with a small group of people, creating a milieu to play in (or adapting an existing milieu), creating characters to interact in that milieu, and telling cooperative stories. Game rules are used to decide what happens - usually through dice rolls.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:04 am

I've played AD&D 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, a tiny bit of 4th edition, Call of Cthulhu (whatever edition that used d10s instead of d20), Shadowrun 2nd/3rd Edition (mixed rules), a little bit of 4th edition, a tiny bit of that WarHammer Fantasy or whatever it was called, the old Star Wars that was all d6 (I'm sure there must be a d20 one by now), a tiny bit of Gamma World 4th Edition, and HeroQuest.

I might be forgetting one or two...I've been trying to get a game going in original D&D, Basic, AD&D 1st Edition, or a mixture thereof, but who knows when that'll ever happen.

Jedi999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2013, 6:57 am

Verdandi wrote:
I would say the medium is primarily about getting together with a small group of people, creating a milieu to play in (or adapting an existing milieu), creating characters to interact in that milieu, and telling cooperative stories. Game rules are used to decide what happens - usually through dice rolls.

I understand that much. I just thought there might have been something more to it. Of course, the whole "Getting together and telling a story" aspect is more than enough incentive. Thanks for clarifying!

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

I have played pathfinder dnd 3.5 dnd second edition for a little and dnd 4th edition I also have played a little d20 modern and star wars saga edition for a little bit oh and some mutants and masterminds. Telling a story together and having fun through the story. I actually find it maybe a little with situations to talk with.

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

If I played a tabletop game, my army would look something like this.

But bigger since I have about 60 of those.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm

I actually think there is someone who made an open source rules system for table top army battles that would let you use nearly any type of "miniature". I don't know the name but, it's out there somewhere.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:31 am

Jedi999 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I understand that much. I just thought there might have been something more to it. Of course, the whole "Getting together and telling a story" aspect is more than enough incentive. Thanks for clarifying!

There can be more to it, related to the kind of stories or the kind of characters you want.

OMGitsKenny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:15 am

Jedi999 wrote:
Arkio wrote:

A sci-fi backdrop sounds interesting. Luckily, the book store I patronize has an absurdly large collection of books on Warhammer. However, this makes actually learning the rules seem all the more daunting.

OMGitsKenny wrote:

My buddies usually create systems based off Dnd but using different categories (Pokemon, Marvel, steampunk). I say study tabletop game formulas and choose what kind of world you want for it to take place in. It's game design, and it's fun as hell. :)

Jedi999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

OMGitsKenny wrote:
Jedi999 wrote:
Arkio wrote:

OMGitsKenny wrote:

My buddies usually create systems based off Dnd but using different categories (Pokemon, Marvel, steampunk). I say study tabletop game formulas and choose what kind of world you want for it to take place in. It's game design, and it's fun as hell. :)

That actually sounds legitimately,incredibly awesome. The Marvel universe is expansive to the point that it would make an excellent game, and now that I think of it I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard of some publisher taking advantage of it in this way. Personally, I'd like to see a Mass Effect tabletop. A cursory Google search reveals plenty of people working on their own versions, but I'd be excited if an definitive, officially licensed version came out. But, as you say, part of the fun would be making it myself.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm

Jedi999 wrote:
OMGitsKenny wrote:
Jedi999 wrote:
Arkio wrote:

OMGitsKenny wrote:

That actually sounds legitimately,incredibly awesome. The Marvel universe is expansive to the point that it would make an excellent game, and now that I think of it I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard of some publisher taking advantage of it in this way. Personally, I'd like to see a Mass Effect tabletop. A cursory Google search reveals plenty of people working on their own versions, but I'd be excited if an definitive, officially licensed version came out. But, as you say, part of the fun would be making it myself.

Sadly Marvel has been legendarily bad at creating games based on it's universe but, that's not a big issue. If your interested in Super Hero RPGs you can try and, find a copy of Champions (preferable 3rd Editon). It's a basic rules system that functions well to create super heroes of many different power levels. You can play gritty low powered heroes like most of the Watchmen to world saving heroes like the Avengers. The only limit is your imagination.

Another option is if you can find the out of print DC Heroes. It's not as good as Champions but, it's still pretty good.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

There's also Hero System. I don't know how it compares to Champions, IIRC it's the generic ruleset that Champions uses? Or written by the same guys? Something like that.