Aspies drinking "alone": warning sign or no big de

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

I rarely drink alcohol, but I've drank it alone a few times. I've never had a problem with alcohol, and I don't think drinking alone says much about whether one has a drinking problem. I think it becomes a problem when you're drinking alone every day and stay home *because* you want to drink. If you have an active life on the internet, with Facebook friends and such, then you're still *sort of* drinking socially. If you live your life everyday with the only goal of getting intoxicated, then you'd have a drinking problem. But you seem to have a life other than just drinking, so I wouldn't say you have a drinking problem.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

Totally isn't a thing.
Dun fret. Just keep solo-boozing.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

I would have to say no big deal. As long as it does not interfere with your daily rotine.

You are very likely an Aspie

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:22 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Drinking alone isn't a problem; getting drunk alone is! If you have a glass of wine at supper or something I don't think it's a big deal...if you're knocking out a case of beer nightly, then there's a problem.

It's not that simple. There is usually an underlying psychological reason for getting drunk. When that's the case then you can't drink one beer without craving a few more...and a few more...

Last edited by cyberdad on 09 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:42 pm

Regularly getting drunk in company with others is not exactly healthy, either. Binge-drinking has killed people before and the long-term effects of heavy drinking are there whether or not you are with other people. Maybe the dynamics of the problem are different whether you drink alone or with others--maybe people who drink in company are more likely to give themselves alcohol poisoning or drive while they're drunk, and people who drink alone are more likely to simply get hooked and let alcohol take up all their time instead of dealing with whatever it is.

I don't think being autistic has much to do with it, but I'm pretty sure that introversion/extraversion has a connection to the dynamics of alcoholism. Introverts have a few close friends generally, and are very sensitive to the world around them--they are more likely to withdraw when stressed. On the other hand, extraverts, despite their large social circles and tendency to spend more time with other people, also tend to be more impulsive and have a penchant for seeking out intense experience. That impulsive nature is a risk factor for addiction; at the same time, they are less likely to spend a lot of time alone.

What the real danger sign would be is when an extravert gets drunk alone. That is probably a sign that he knows he's drinking too much, but can't cut back and so hides it instead--a vicious circle because it cuts him off from the social support he so depends on. An introvert looking for alcoholism red flags is probably better off thinking about things like whether it's interfering with his work life or his family life, or whether he's having health problems, or whether he's using it to escape problems he should be dealing with. Just drinking alone might be perfectly normal for an introvert, if it's not problematic in some other way.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:49 pm

Callista wrote:
I don't think being autistic has much to do with it, but I'm pretty sure that introversion/extraversion has a connection to the dynamics of alcoholism. Introverts have a few close friends generally, and are very sensitive to the world around them--they are more likely to withdraw when stressed. On the other hand, extraverts, despite their large social circles and tendency to spend more time with other people, also tend to be more impulsive and have a penchant for seeking out intense experience. That impulsive nature is a risk factor for addiction; at the same time, they are less likely to spend a lot of time alone..

Good post. However there is a strong association between extroversion and impulsive behavior (including binge drinking). As you point out, extroverts are predisposed to risk taking and getting drunk. Introversion and binge drinking is not necessarily linked to impulsive behavior.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jan 2013, 12:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
Good post. However there is a strong association between extroversion and impulsive behavior (including binge drinking). As you point out, extroverts are predisposed to risk taking and getting drunk. Introversion and binge drinking is not necessarily linked to impulsive behavior.

I am extremely introverted and I am also impulsive (ADHD). I would also link some of my binge drinking to impulsiveness.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:27 am

I have done that sometimes but I have like 1 can of mike hard lemonade or a glass of wine. Me I have to be careful drinking alcohol because on both sides of my family have a habit of alcoholism and alcohol addiction. I will sometimes have one when I am playing a game or watching a movie but it is rare I have alcoholic drinks and also I don't drink on a empty stomach I always make sure I have something in my stomach like pizza or something breaded.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

Verdandi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I am extremely introverted and I am also impulsive (ADHD). I would also link some of my binge drinking to impulsiveness.

Fair enough. However impulsiveness is actually 2 different dimensions. It can be either risk taking or sensitivity to reward. Usually introverts are the latter. I was referring to risk taking which is more associated with extroversion.

A study conducted on Taiwanese introverted/extroverted workers found that the primary trigger for binge drinking in introverts was work stress (not impulsiveness). Of course there will always be individual differences.

okie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

Alcohol is actually responsible for half of my socializing (the other half being church). My father is a member of a homebrew club, and I enjoy good beer in the company of others. Whatever gets me off the computer and out of my room is good. When I'm not doing that, I've usually got a bottle of gin in my room standing by.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:25 am

Well on new years I stayed home, had a bottle of wine and played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and I don't have a problem with drinking.

The only way you know it is going to be a problem is if it actually becomes a problem.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jan 2013, 2:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Fair enough. However impulsiveness is actually 2 different dimensions. It can be either risk taking or sensitivity to reward. Usually introverts are the latter. I was referring to risk taking which is more associated with extroversion.

A study conducted on Taiwanese introverted/extroverted workers found that the primary trigger for binge drinking in introverts was work stress (not impulsiveness). Of course there will always be individual differences.

My impulsiveness tends to be more a matter of sensitivity to reward, although getting drunk was a reward, when I was doing that.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2013, 9:37 am

I am not really into drinking ....but i got fed up with my life one day and finished a bottle of whiskey..ended up in the A&E and had to be treated..i felt terrible wasting the much needed time of the really sick people that need treatment..so went home and felt ashamed of myself and never done it again....it never done anything for me other than make me feel sorry for myself...and that is not me!

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2013, 9:56 am

Unseen wrote:
When it comes to drinking, the issue is not if you do it alone, but how much you drink.

As long as you don't drink too much (and too often), it shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, lots of people (NT or otherwise) drink alone - when they want to relax after a hard day or to mark some personal occasion.

I definitely agree with this. I drink alone too; a glass of wine or a beer, because I enjoy the drink itself. As long as you keep the amount you drink small, I don't see the big deal.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

Verdandi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My impulsiveness tends to be more a matter of sensitivity to reward, although getting drunk was a reward, when I was doing that.
]
Yes, the high from getting drunk is the reward...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 8:33 pm

forkful_of_soup wrote:
Unseen wrote:
When it comes to drinking, the issue is not if you do it alone, but how much you drink.

As long as you don't drink too much (and too often), it shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, lots of people (NT or otherwise) drink alone - when they want to relax after a hard day or to mark some personal occasion.

I definitely agree with this. I drink alone too; a glass of wine or a beer, because I enjoy the drink itself. As long as you keep the amount you drink small, I don't see the big deal.

Perhaps not, the Australian medical association has revised it;s safe drinking minimum to one standard drink (it used to be two). Cancer research suggest that the maximum recommended level of alcohol consumption should one shot glass per day and the safest volume for consumers is no alcohol.