Does anyone ever respond to forum threads by rote?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

Just asking, as I seem to do this quite a lot on many Internet forums. Many of the replies I make are not truly spontaneous but seem to me to be a collection of things I've found out from around the Internet and more or less pieced together in my brain and regurgitated.

Any comments?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

Sounds like echolalia.

I function like this in all aspects of my life. It's not that I don't have a spontaneous reaction, it's that my communication is by rote.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

Well, for me that is my spontaneous reaction, because my brain works like that. Hilarious that you think people have other spontaneous reactions in secret. If that is your first reaction, how is that not then spontaneous? Did you mean to write "stupid"? I'm feeling a bit defensive on that subject since isn't it assumed rote memory eschews comprehension? I have excellent comprehension, and also excellent memory to recall were some of those bits of information came from, and no problem with sharing it so others can learn too, if they wish. There are lots of my own original thoughts in it too, of course, but if I remember a study that I agree with on the subject, I'll share it. Also, found out from the internet? Or books? Or teachers? Or other people? Is there something wrong with that in your eyes - do you disagree with the view that this is how learning works? :) Must all knowledge come from own experiments to not be un-spontaneous or "rote"?

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

So the short answer is - Sort of, but I dislike the implications.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

Sure it happens to me at times. I will say things I have seen or heard. I will also read the thread first before responding so I get the idea what it's about. Sometimes I will just respond to the thread title only or to the poll question only.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
Just asking, as I seem to do this quite a lot on many Internet forums. Many of the replies I make are not truly spontaneous but seem to me to be a collection of things I've found out from around the Internet and more or less pieced together in my brain and regurgitated.

Any comments?

I do use information from the internet a lot in threads but I also try to use common sense.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

everyone plagiarises
I actually cut and keep some posters comments, if I like their rhetoric and meaning enough

however, I am exceedingly original in thought and words

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Sounds like echolalia.

I still very much suffer from this. I make sure that I don't do it when others are listening, though, because it's too embarrassing.