Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Burmese Magazine License Pulled for Sexual Content

RANGOON — Burma’s new reformist government revoked the publishing license of a magazine for the first time on Wednesday, saying it violated regulations by publishing sexual material when it was supposed to cover fashion.

The Information Ministry announced on its website that the monthly magazine Nhyot deviated from its charter as a fashion magazine by publishing sexually arousing photos and articles.

The December issue of the magazine carried several pictures of scantily clad Burmese women in provocative poses and articles that the editor said constituted sex education. The content appears tame by the standards of similar publications in the West or in neighboring Thailand, but Burma’s society is notably more conservative.

Perhaps just a little bit too early to start breaking out the champers in Burma, eh?

On a serious note: I wish those who wish for greater freedom in Burma the very best of luck. I know my wishes are of no use at all, but they need all the wishes they can get.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 8:39 am

This is due to an unfortunatly wrong interpretation of buddhism. Hopefuly it will get better soon.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

At least it isn't one step forward, two steps back.