Anyone else have child with chronic gastro symptoms?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

I had those, too. I mean, I probably had lactose intolerance, but when I get nervous or upset I definitely have digestive side effects now as an adult (who knows how to manage the lactose thing.)

Who knows? You just have to try what you can and move from there.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 4:12 pm

My daughter benefited significantly from having casein removed from her diet for a period of time. She had lots of GI issues, along with spaciness and headbanging, all of which improved without casein. After about 18 months of following a strict CF diet, we slowly introduced casein and she handles it fine how, although I would say she self-restricts casein (for example, will only eat half the cheese on her pizza and never finishes her ice cream). She also could NOT have apples as a baby. I, too, had to be CF while nursing her, but stupidly I believed "them" when they told me that she should start having milk at 12 mos. It's not like I think we would have avoided autism if we would have avoided casein (she had issues before that), but some of her symptoms definitely seemed heightened at a young age because of casein. It definitely didn't agree with her system.

I--who consider myself somewhere on the BAP--have IBS.

Over the years, I would say I have come across more people on the spectrum--of all ages--with troubled tummies than not. Therefore, I would conclude that it is "common."

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

My son has persitent gastro problems and I didn't know why. Once I got his sensory disorder and 'need for sameness' under control, his diet vastly expanded in selection. Once his diet expanded his gastro problems went away.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm

When I was a kid, I struggled with lots of GI issues. Granted, I grew up not eating the best quality food because my family was pretty broke, so I would be fed things like hamburger helper, canned veggies, spam, and things like that. They always fed me white bread instead of real bread. Throughout my childhood, I suffered from such terrible constipation that there were times my bowels froze up for 3 weeks at a time. My parents tried everything, from prune juice to laxatives, to suppositories. There were some foods that gave me really terrible bloating and gas. Some foods gave me diarrhea. Some churned my bowels to a halt, and some made my bowels hurt so bad that they felt like they were chock full of needles (no human should ever feel like that--imagine trying to go #2 with that sensation, nonetheless just bending over). As a kid I didn't know or understand that it wasn't the norm for my guts to always hurt so incredibly bad. I always got yelled at for spending too much time in the bathroom (we had one bathroom I had to share with 5 other people). My doctor (being an idiot in the 90's) told my mom to get me to lubricate my guts by getting me to take a table spoon of mineral oil by mouth a day. Then, I had to live with the embarrassment of crapping my pants with orange oil stuff to where I had to wear a pad.

I wouldn't say it is anxiety. Sure, anxiety doesn't help, but when I was a teenager, I started eating better quality food and, imagine that, I finally started getting some relief. And too, I have started listening to my body and what it is telling me.

I haven't been evaluated for intolerances though (would like to one day), every so often I will find something that utterly sets my body off (like lemon oreos for instance I have found are a big no no for me). Most of the things that set my body off though that are utterly terrible are usually processed junk though.