Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:13 pm

Sometimes, but not always, when I write, I feel a tremendous surge of energy throughout my whole being, and consequently, the chaos coming from my fingers makes perfect sense on the Word screen. I call this writer's rush. Whenever I experience it on those rare occasions, it's as if I were blessed by some divine force or struck some universal cord. However, the vast majority of my days are spent staring at the Word screen, doing research on the Internet, and looking for inspiration that never comes. All I can do is wait for it to come back.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

When I start writing, I sometimes just want to move the story along and as I invent details to accomplish that, I get a satisfaction of feeling, well, that's pretty good.

BUT sometimes I've had one of those bolts of lightening inspiration on what should happen next and as I start writing I feel almost possessed. I get this RUSH like what I feel Mozart might have felt because he wrote music without ever making corrections. It just comes pouring out of my fingers as I type. WOW, I look at the page and stop and think "I just wrote that?", and think that it's pretty damn good.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

Ive often wondered if this "rush" you talk of can be controlled, or summoned. I tend to force myself to write anything if I can't write my WIP, and that can often lead to a good session.

So if you find yourself not able to write your current project, why not just write a seperate piece about your character(s) that has nothing to do with the story you are writing. It works well for me.

I have taken my characters out to the bar, out to a rock festival, made them have a fight, anything just to see how the scene goes. I usually learn something about them when I do this, and I don't mind that none of it will be in the finished story.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 3:40 am

I've experienced such when the story just seems to flow without false starts, or without struggling to find the right words, and everything is working out like it should.
The fact remains, though; both sudden bursts of inspiration and hard, sweaty, slow work are necessary for my writing - sort of the agony and the ecstasy.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Trinab
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

Just write.

Keep writing, even through the tough bits, even when you don't feel like it. The more you write, the more likely you will reach this state, and stay in it. I know I am getting to the point where after writing a few hundred words, it hits me almost every time.

Keep writing, and don't force it.