Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Arrow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2013, 8:39 am

Hi everyone,
I just recently realized that I have AS. The evidence is all too clear to deny... I feel really bad and depressed... I had a hope that one day somehow I will become normal and now it's clear that it is not going to happen. How do I live my life now? I am 28 years old and never had a job, I am afraid of people due to bad experiences. I can't have therapy because I am in a foreign country and here AS doesn't exist.

Are there any books which could help me to accept the reality and give me some guidance of how to live? I am completely lost and don't even want to live (sorry for being dramatic, you may ignore that). I just feel useless and know that people think I am weird and are afraid of me... I'm a female.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mollyw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

Welcome to WP!
I think Tony attwood's books are great to start understanding AS. Also as you are female I think Liane Willey is really brilliant at talking about her experience of AS. I know you might not feel that way now but you are really lucky to know that you have AS at such a young age. This give you the chance to get to know your strength and weaknesses and adapt your life style accordingly. You could start by making a list of 3 things you enjoy doing and do them (even if this is not what other people would enjoy it doesn't matter) ...good luck and keep :)

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2013, 7:46 am

I am 54 and wish i had had know about aspergers at ur age.

Beg,, borrow , some how get a hold of the book Aspergirls.. I found myself on every page and Ive been able to make sense of my life now. READ IT,, what you have to do is look at ur own strengths and obsessions,, find work that ties into both. REaslzie u are not a freak, you just are wired differently and there IS a place in the world for you and the rest of us aspies. key is to accept yourself and work with it. You do have to drop all those NT expectations that we gals are programmed with concerning gender roles and relationships,, that is the hard part, but we have a freedom a lot of NTS will envy... learn to enjoy who you are.

Arrow

12 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

Thanks for answering my post.
I am getting used to the idea, I think...

Your words made me feel better... I was thinking I am too old... all of my peers are having families and act serious, you know.. I grew out of my friends and don't fit in with them anymore... But you made me see that I am still young and can make something of my life...

Thanks, Mollyw, for the book recommendations. I will look them up on amazon.
Thanks, restlesspirit, Aspergirls was on my wishlist and you made me even more certain that I should get it.

Thanks so much you both, hugs :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:55 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 6:36 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage