Little support for 16+ HFA/AS pupils in UK schools?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 7:51 am

Ok, so in the summer of last year I was official diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. After the summer, I was due to start at a different school for Sixth Form, so my diagnostic report was sent to my school. This was so the school would be aware of my AS, and also clarification for any special requirements that I may have needed within school i.e. extra exam accommodations.

I am and have always been extremely bad with timing when sitting my exams, so I decided to apply to get extra time for exams; in essay subjects like English (Literature and Language) and PE at GCSE level, I never had enough time to do them, so for English Language I got a lower grade than I should have got; I got a B overall instead of an A because I got a D in my exam. And for English Literature I got a C overall also managing to to get a D in the exam.

Also, like a lot of people on the spectrum, I have problems with planning and organizing myself; this has been a real problem for me when it comes to exam revision e.g. how I should revise, and when should I revise etc. My mum too has asked the school for help on my behalf with this; after me having a full blown crying meltdown at home in front of her...but the school still haven't done anything for me- meanwhile my meltdowns continue, and the school work/revision piles on...

But anyway, I had to be tested to see if I would fit the criteria for extra time, so I took the test...

The test was a very basic one; the first section dealt with both spelling and speed; this section I passed with ease, as I have always been meticulous with my spelling of words. The second section was I think "typing speed"; this was indeed irrelevant to me, as I would not be typing in exams. But nevertheless I passed this one, too. The third test was "reading comprehension", which I unsurprising scored the worst on. And finally, the fourth test was "writing speed".

I believe test by design was flawed- especially the last section; I didn't really actually have to use much of my brain to complete that section, as I didn't have to answer an unknown, unseen before question in an allocated period of time, but had to listen to a person reading out a few sentences- and I was aloud to stop and play the audio, which would NOT happen in a real exam!

...so, in the end they decided that I apparently don't need extra time, but if I don't do well in this exam or have problems in my exam e.g. I fail, then they might think to give it to me for next time. ^^This sounded utterly ridiculous to me, but surprise, surprise in my first exam that ai had this week, I did NOT finish it on time!

...So anyway- apologies for making this post so long...I just wanted to know if anyone else has or is going through a similar situation as mine.

Thank You :)

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:07 am

Why do you feel you need extra time? And is it something that whoever assessed you recommended?

You can't just get extra time because you have Aspergers. You need to justify why (in the form of a GP letter) you need the extra time.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:20 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Why do you feel you need extra time? And is it something that whoever assessed you recommended?

You can't just get extra time because you have Aspergers. You need to justify why (in the form of a GP letter) you need the extra time.
I've already explained why, and I know I can't just get extra time because I have AS- that's why they tested me. Also, the school didn't tell me I needed to bring in a letter of any sort; they just rely on my test scores.

...and no, my assessors did not recommend it; they didn't test me academically, so they weren't to know, however my mother has spoken to my school and they are aware of my problems.

-Thanks for your reply. :)

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg